RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » hotels in jasper or banff?

Author Topic: hotels in jasper or banff?
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still considering taking Amtrak to Vancouver and then a VIArail to jasper, bus or car rental to banff, returning on the Rocky Mountaineer to Vancouver before heading home. But everything I find regarding hotels makes me think it's going to be too expensive. Does anyone have any good ideas for hotels? It has to be a comfortable place with comfortable beds and conveniently located.

I apologize for posting ths here but I know this is where most of the "action" is!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner:
I have friends who are going to spend next week in a place in Banff I believe. I will ask, and post what info I can get.
Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RussM
Member # 3627

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RussM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I visited Jasper and Banff in June, arriving in Jasper on the Via Rail Skeena from Prince Rupert. Stayed at the Whistlers Inn which is directly across the street from the railroad station. Nice place, conveniently located. I don't think there are any cheap hotels in that area during the summer season. In Jasper, Smitty's Family Restaurant on Miette St. has good food at reasonable prices. Also, don't miss the Bear Paw Bakery on Cedar Ave.
Posts: 133 | From: Canaan, CT | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for the info. I'm not expecting really cheap, but I'd like to find a reasonably affordable place in Banff; so far, even the simple-seeming places recommended at Frommers tell me they are over $200! But I'll keep trying. Maybe using expedia.com is the trick . . . has anyone ever used that service?

Russ, can you give me more details about your trip? How did you get to Prince Rupert? Where did you stay when there? How did you get from Jasper to Banff? Where did you stay in Banff? After Banff, did you go anywhere else? Thanks so much again.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RussM
Member # 3627

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RussM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner - We are a bit off topic, but I would be glad to answer your questions in a private message if you are willing to enable that feature in your Profile. Doing so does not reveal your e-mail address.

Russ

Posts: 133 | From: Canaan, CT | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Hi Russ, I have tried to figure out how to do this but I can't!

But I think it's OK to go a little off topic; we do it all the time. This is still part of another big Amtrak trip to get me out west!

Let me ask you and everyone else who has been to the Canadian Rockies a question:

Assume I do not get a car when I get to Alberta. I arrive in Jasper on the VIA Rail around lunch time on a Wednesday. I am planning to catch the Rocky Mountaineer back from Banff on the following Sunday. Would you spend 2 nights in Jasper, W (a part day) & Th (a full day), then take the Brewster bus tour (the 9-hour one that stops in Columbia glacier) down to Banff on F, arrive in Banff late F, and then spend just 1 more night in Banff (1 full day)? OR would you spend 1 night in Jasper (that is, just part of a day in Jasper), take the 9-hour Brewster tour down to Banff on Th, get there late, and then stay there also F & Sa, giving you 2 full days in Banff? In other words, Jasper or Banff for the extra full day?

Thanks

David
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I would spend the extra night in Jasper. For one thing Jasper is usually cheaper than Banff and it is definitely less crowded.

As far as Expedia, VIA Rail has a link to expedia.ca and I found it useful only for getting the names of hotels in any given location. I have never booked with them for three reasons:
-Their rates are often higher than booking directly with the hotel or chain.
-They require full payment at time of booking whereas most hotels do not.
-They have a cancellation fee of $45 (when I last checked) and most hotels do not, although in resort areas many lodgings do. City hotels rarely impose a fee for even same-day cancellations received prior to 4:00 p.m.

Posts: 216 | From: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
David, That is good to know. I will definitely not be using Expedia. And I think I will spend the extra night in Jasper, as you recommend. It will be more relaxing. Russ, the Whistlers Inn looks great--excellent location! Thanks for the info.

Re changing my profile--I have decided that it is too complicated, as I have to change my email address and so on. And while I'd love private messages from regular posters here and people with useful info, I don't necessarily want private messages from just anyone with access to this board--consider that weird message (which the moderator deleted) from someone named "I hate trains"!!! So I'll just wait on making that change. Thanks for telling me how to do it, though!

I hesitate to mention it, but all that is off topic too! I am afraid I am one for tangents.

jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been vacationing in the British Columbia and Alberta area pretty regularly lately - at least one full week a year. This has included VIA and car as mode of travel. I also seem to have averaged about three trips a year across Canada on VIA Rail - in different seasons. Service, amenities, and accommodations are just great on VIA's Canadian.

I would also recommend the extra day in Jasper. I seem to prefer Jasper over Banff, if an extra day happens to pop up on my schedule. Jasper to me is just more relaxing and less hectic.

You can take the Brewster tour, or you can rent a car from Jasper to Banff and be on your own, just a matter of which car company these days allow a one-way, and charges the least amount for drop fee and mileage etc. Be sure to book the car in advance and confirm the car rental via confirmation or something.

On my last trip we had a Jeep Cherokee and we just went down to Banff and back. The car rental company thought we were doing a one-way rental and said I'd have to rent a mid-size car. After insisting we were returning back to Jasper all was fine. Anyway, the car rental allowed us to spot more animals and allow time to explore things we wanted to see in more depth than being on the Brewster tour.

I did do the Brewster tour many years ago, and it was fine. But did it once, so didn't feel the need to book another Brewster Tour.

Also, the Skeena to Prince Rupert is a great trip, particularly in the Totem classes (regular Totem or Totem Deluxe). I've always ridden Totem Deluxe. Great scenery along this route. Prince Rupert is a changing town - for the better I think. It's become much more tourist friendly and the port is expected to be heavily developed over the next few years, which will certainly increase the rail traffic on this line. Anyway, the Crest Hotel is the best hotel I can recommend in Prince Rupert - waterside can be around $100 and its worth it. It's pretty centrally located. I've typically taken the train one-way and then flew back to Vancouver. Although it may seem like a short flight, it's nearly a half day journey when b/c you have to get on a shuttle bus that gets on a ferry to take you out to the airport that is on one of the islands near Prince Rupert). Prince Rupert is served by Air Canada and at least one other regional airline in the area.

Good luck - British Columbia and Alberta are fantastic!

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Thanks, JP!

I think I will save the Skeena for another trip, but I definitely want to take it.

What do you think of the train on Vancouver Island? Is it better to take it all the way and back, or would it be more fun to get off in Nanaino and see the town?

Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to be a few days, Sojourner. I just received this info this evening: My friends will be staying at the Douglas Fir Resorts 800-661-9267. I suspect it is fairly expensive, but there's the info. Hope you have a wonderful time.
Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner, if you click on to worldweb.com and from there hotels in Jasper you will get a list of hotels and motels in Jasper with all the info you need (price,address, amenities etc). Also on Google there is a listing for discount hotels in Jasper. Being curious I clicked on Google hotels in Jasper alberta and got about 157 listings. I hope this helps you.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lest anyone think that the quoted room rate plus taxes is "all you will pay", read this New York Times article to note how hotel's imaginations are working overtime.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/22/business/yourmoney/22money.html

I thought the auto rental concerns were the "toppers' when on my trip out East last month I was exposed (and paid) to a "goodie' called a "concession recoupment fee".

Where do they dream those names up?; just build them into the auto's daily rental rate.

Posts: 9979 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MILW
Member # 2538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MILW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got back from Canadian trip to some of the cities you will visit and you don't have to blow a lot of money on hotels except for Jasper (where they all generally run over $200 a night). Here are some recommendations:

Lake Louise Inn (about 40-60 min NW of Banff in Lake Louise townsite) 403-522-3791. $165 a night with tax for a single room with two double beds. As with most National Park hotels, no air conditioning. If you have a rental car, this hotel is OK.

Good Places to eat in Lake Louise: CP railroad depot, Chateau Lake Louise lobby restraunt (about $20-25), Mountain Restraunt at Esso Station. And Timberwolf restraunt at Lake Louise Inn.

Banff: Stayed at Irwins Mountain Inn $139 a night plus tax (approx $155 a night with tax). Nice hotel near outskirts of downtown Banff but can still walk to downtown. Hotel is OK. 403-762-4566. Banff is expensive to eat in but there is a McDonalds downtown. I don't remember if they had air conditioning but I don't think so.

Jasper: Good luck on finding any hotel less that $225 a night. I asked passengers on the Skeena if they had any luck and answer was no. Stayed at Lobstick lodge for approx $225 a night.

A couple of notes: Save your hotel reciepts as you can get a full refund of the GST tax part of the bill after you return to the U.S. Also, use your ATM card or Credit Card for foriegn exchange conversion. Last, buy stamps for postcards at the post office for the best deal. There is a post office in each of the above towns in the downtown or townsite location.

Posts: 14 | From: Dallas,TX | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MILW
Member # 2538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MILW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will agree with previous posts that food and tours is slightly more expensive in Banff then Lake Louise or Jasper. However, found that Jewelry, Jade and tourist souveniers were cheaper in Banff then Jasper or Lake Louise. I can only relate the differences to competition in those areas.
Posts: 14 | From: Dallas,TX | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having been to both jasper and Banf, I advise simply lodging in jasper. Lots of B&B's around and not too bad in price. Jasper is a lot nicer, in my opinion.
Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page