RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Capitol Ltd/Zephyr Trip Report - Part 2

Author Topic: Capitol Ltd/Zephyr Trip Report - Part 2
AHALL
Member # 3515

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AHALL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our Chicago layover had been cut in half by the late arrival of the Capitol Ltd into Chicago, but it wasn't a problem. We checked in at the Metropolitan Lounge, and went to the deli/bar at the edge of the original part of Union Station for a wonderful sandwich. We took a quick stroll outside the Station and lamented how nice the original taxi ramps for Union Station were, prior to the era of terrorism. Now taxis seem to jam the streets around the station.

We returned to the Lounge about 12:45 pm for the 1:50 departure of the California Zephyr. Things were getting busy for the earlier Empire Builder departure. By 1:30, nothing had been said about the Zephyr, until it was announced that there was an "equipment problem" and the train was still "in the yard."

About 2:00 the announcement was made to gather at the rear door to begin boarding. The larger Lounge area is certainly appreciated, and they seem more flexible with luggage being in the Lounge as compared to earlier times. We were taken out the rear door and along the platform, then crossed the tracks where the Zephyr awaited to the left, closer to the Chicago River. The number boards hadn't been changed yet, but the attendants assisted in locating which sleeper was which. Fortunately, we had an upgraded sleeper with the great new restroom arrangement.

Our Sleeping Car Attendant was Rolf, one of the best I have ever had! He was very busy, the train seemed to have a lot of "first-timers" and I even aided in locating the numbered and lettered rooms for lost folks. Announcements were being made quickly, coach passengers were right behind the sleeping car passengers in being boarded. An announcement firmly noted that the Zephyr was completely SOLD OUT today, and some were being seated in the Lounge car for earlier stops.

At promptly 2:20, we departed and quickly came to speed heading west. Announcements asked people to "stay put" for ticket-taking, and the Lounge and Diner were closed until a notice is given! Dinner reservations were taken first in the sleepers (we took at 8:30 pm, this is the longest day of the year!) We slowly lost more time, and had to wait at the Mississippi River Bridge at Burlington, Iowa for 2 towboats to pass through the swing span. Illinois is flat, but Iowa has some roll to its "hills."

Omaha was down by a full hour, departing about 11:45 pm into the inky blackness of the Nebraska cornfields. Usually, I awaken at stops, but was sound asleep until near the NE/CO border. It is interesting how the scenery changes to high plains with less vegetation.

We were having breakfast when we pulled into Fort Morgan, CO, about 90 minutes late. Shawn loved the Railroad French Toast, I tried each breakfast item during our trip, and they were all good. For long-time train travelers, a little excitement has disappeared from the diner, the staff was excellent but appeared tired from what seems to be longer hours with less staff for them. First time train travelers seemed to enjoy their meals, and probably weren't even aware that anything has changed.

Denver arrival was at 8:40 am, a little time was made up by a padded schedule. There is a lot of maneuvering into Denver that can consume a lot of time. Rolf wiped off the exterior handrail as he did every time for his passengers, as well as keeping an attractive beveridge center and clean car and always being available. Workers with BNSF shirts washed the windows of the train, I think it would have been better for them to have left the windows alone from the stains and streaks we enjoyed clear to Sacramento.

At 9:20 am, we departed Denver with a full load containing new people, as well as those who had started at Chicago and along the way. It was a fairly clear day, and the scenery was great, except for the fact that our neighbor across the hall in the Roomettes closed his blinds. I suggested that he could look out our window whenever he wanted, and was told "Oh, I have seen this dozens of times." Oh well.

Climbing the Rockies, we found that the other sleeper had been switched in Chicago (the maintenance problem) and now their toilets stopped working, so our sleeper handled both cars. It wasn't a problem, but I found that the restroom door latches don't stay latched sometimes, and ....

The scenery in the Colorado Rockies is absolutely breathtaking, even for the 10th time (for me)with each canyon so different. Maybe Colorado residents would find Ohio scenery interesting! Rolf took the lunch reservations for his sleeping car. There is alot of taking reservations and announcements with the new meal scheme, and our Zephyr started serving lunch at 11:30 am and continued until 3:00, dinner continued from 5:00 until nearly 10:00 pm.

A couple times, we took the siding for those long coal trains with 3 locomotives in the middle and one or more on each end. Maybe they won't fit the siding, or UP doesn't really care.

Salt Lake City was an 11:30 pm arrival, we had made up all of the lost time! It was downhill from there, Rolf said the Conductor said there are 40 "slow orders" west of Salt Lake City for bad track which won't see major overhaul until 2008. Boy, was he right! Elko, Nevada is supposed to be 3:21 am, and we were eating breakfast at 7:00 am when we stopped there. Speed up, slow down, my scanner reported the speed at 50 MPH or 20 MPH depending on conditions.

Actually, it made no difference to us! We were going to Sacramento and whenever we arrived was okay to us, enjoy the ride and boy we did! Card games and a CD player combined with the experience.

It was my first time in the "trench" in Reno. I guess it does help downtown foot and auto traffic, but graffiti is already beginning to invade where people don't go. The elevator to the station had quit working, there were no cans for cigarette butts (why do people smoke anyway, I never have in my 52 years)

West of Reno, freight traffic continued to snarl us, even in the double track area. We changed tracks three times lacing through freight traffic to be stopped dead where UP removed the second track. (what thought process was that?)

The Sierras were stunning as always, although the narration from the volunteers seemed rather dreary this trip, or I have heard it too many times. Track work finished off the downhill effort to make up time, and ETA into Sacramento was late by 6 1/2 hours.

Amtrak was doing a good job advising transfer passengers what to do in Sacramento, only one connection was requiring a bus ride. An extra meal was provided to sleeping car passengers of "whatever is left."

At 8:45 pm, we arrived in SAC. Our journey was simply across the street to the Vagabond Inn, a train traveler's favorite. We were still smiling ear-to-ear, ready for 3 days in SAC before starting back. Next time, our SAC experience and starting return.

Posts: 76 | From: Steubenville, OH | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the terrific trip report.

But 6 1/2 hours is pretty darn late; if one is going to San francisco, it means an annoyingly late arrival.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page