RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Baltimore loves trains

Author Topic: Baltimore loves trains
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Took Amtrak regional from #143 From New Haven CT to Baltimore and the #66 back on Saturday 08/05. Happy too report both trains ran on-time, especially the #143 the train was packed all the way down. The #66 overnight was half full so everyone could stretch across and sleep. My complaint these trains get to go full speed with little other traffic so we have a one hour 45 minute lay-over at NY Penn Station.

Anyhow. Reason for the trip is for the NY Yanks v Baltimore O's. looked like Jim Palmer was still pitching for the Orioles.

I was able to do some sight seeing before the game, walked around Baltimore's Penn Station a classic Penn Station that has been re-stored and though it is very bust it holds up well. Except no Eating places late at night in the station. The station runs MARC trains as well the light rail shuttle. Biggest complaint. They have some monstrosity of modern art out front that blocks the view of the front of the station. Its a large silver metal mirrored scuplture of a woman. It towers over the station and blocks the enterance, should have a fountain like Washington Union Station.

First I walked over to the Mt Royal station an old commuter station, been used as an art school and gallary but is being renovated, frieght trains still run behind it but don't stop.

http://www.ce.jhu.edu/baltimorestructures/Mount%20Royal%20Train%20Station/mount_royal_train_station.htm

Taking the light rail down to the Convention Center and the top of Camdan Yards the old Camdan Station is know a Maryland Sports Museum and the top of a Civil War trail along with a MARC Platform.

The B&O Train Museum is under a mile to the west of the Ball Park. This is a great museum they have displays from stage coaches to modern Locomotives as well as a mile train trip along the first laid track in the United States, we ride in MARC commuter coaches built in the late 1940's, WHY are the seats much more comfortable then the current seats on the Metro North coaches??? http://www.borail.org/

Did not have time to visit the Ellicot station the oldest in the U.S its about 13 miles to the west. http://www.ecborail.org/ wonder if they could ever set up a tourist train to it?

Well thanks to the AMTRAK NEC for an enjoyable trip.

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice travelog Mr. Tanner; only one-non rail point at which to pick. The New York Yanks was an NFL team that eventually became the Dallas Texans and subsequently renemed the Cowboys.

http://www.scripophily.net/newyoyafocli.html

Sometimes tracing the lineage of major sports franchises can be as fun as tracking the history of an Amtrak Heritage railcar

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman, That is interesting background on the Cowboys but I do believe Mr. Tanner was referring to the New York Yankees Baseball team. They beat the O's yesterday 5-0.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There where 2 NY Yankee football franchise niether lasting very long the 1950 version went first to Dallas to become the Texans (not the AFL team that became the KC Chiefs) The origional Colts where a ALL American Football confrence was disbanded but the NFL Colts came from NY via Dallas stop of in Hershey PA to become the NFL COLTs. The first NFL version was suppose to be a failed NFL Franchise out of Miami.

Other Baltimore NY Sport stuff

Origional Baltimore Orioles became the New York Highlanders who became The Yankees

Oriole Manager/player became a New York Legend John McGraw of the NY Baseball Giants

NY Football Yankees become Baltimore Colts eventually

Colts beat NY Giants for NFL Title in 58 and 59

Baltimore Bullets (NBA) Trade Earl the Pearl Monroe to the NY Knicks

WWell lets just mention the year of 1969.

Cleveland Brown owner Art Modell who was born in Brooklyn NY moves his Browns to Baltimore.

Ravens beat Giants in Super Bowl something

Jeffery Maire beats Orioles in Division Playoff game 1

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excuse me all, I just reread my post and realize that I transposed the score. It should read O's 5, Yankees 0
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yankees only had three balls out of the infield.
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Tanner , didn't the Baltimore Colts move to Indianapolis where they now are? I vaguely remember that the Colts "snuck out of Baltimore".Being a Redskins fan I don't follow Baltimore much any more.
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Train Lady,

You are correct but

Shhhhhhhh.......

Don't say 'Baltimore Colts' within earshot of a native. That's still a VERY SORE topic for lot's of people in those parts. The irony is that perhaps only Baltimore fans could adequately sympathize with their counterparts in Cleveland when the original Browns moved and became the Baltimore Ravens.

Two questions Tanner - I saw that sculpture when I was in Baltimore three weeks ago. Do you think it's permanant or temporary?

I agree with you in wishing for better meal options at Balto Penn b-t-w. I decided to leave town 90 minutes early on MARC back in July so that I could get a more desirable meal in DC.

Also, (2nd question) inside the roundhouse at the B&O museum did you happen to notice the little 4-6-0 Clinchfield #1? That locomotive was on the head end of my first real train ride.....an excursion from Marion, NC to Erwin, TN that my mother took me on when I was 9 or 10 years old. The little steam locomotive was window dressing, the two F7B locomotives behind #1 actually pulled the train.

I still enjoy seeing #1 preserved in Baltimore though!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Hey notelvis,

Unfortunatly I only had alittle over to go thru the museum plus the train ride. Just have to go back huh. I'll have to check if that "thing" out front is temporary. I'm amazed at the size of the locomotives in the repair shop, they also have some old pennsy and nyc loco's that are waiting for restoration. The saddest thing is that many of these where built as a last gasp to regain post wwII or pre depression glory, I need to read up on these great machines.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page