RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » California Zephyr

Author Topic: California Zephyr
manypims
Member # 3887

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for manypims   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know what is going on with the westbound train from Chicago to Emeryville? According to the Amtrak Website, it looks like service has been cancelled the past couple of days.

--------------------
Visit my real-time rail blog at
http://manypims.blogspot.com

Posts: 16 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Zephyr runs, but it has been intolerably late. Some of the delays can be attributed to reroutes via the Overland Route, or traditional UP, between Denver and Salt Lake, but probably the greatest source of delay has been the absolute crush of traffic UP is being called upon to handle.

A friend of mine just completed a round trip on the Zephyr Mt. Pleasant to Colfax and return. The outward trip on #5 (30JUL) arrival was 4.5hrs late. The return on #6(6) was over 5 hours late. Both trips were via Overland Route.

But I must agree Mr. Pims as I just reviewed Zephyr Train Status and was being returned an awful lot of "information unavailable'. Possibly the timekeeping is such an embarassment of late that they simply are not reporting it at the website. That at least hides it from railfan browsers; if someone REALLY has need to know for reasons such as to meet a party, I guess they will have the fortitude to telephone Amtrak for the information.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisJ
Member # 320

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChrisJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've also been tracking #5 & #6. The amount of their lateness, as bad as it is, is nothing unusual (for those 2). It appears that someone is entering the "service disruption" thing erroneously for the days when the Wyoming reroute is in effect. During last week's reroutes, the disruption message did not appear. A call to an agent always gets the correct info.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At present, a review of Train Status will show that any of the four #5 or #6's presently scheduled to be on the road are all reported with a "service disruption" notice.

The two trains my friend rode Mt Pleasant to Colfax and return, namely #5(30) and #6(6) were both routed via Overland Route. However they were active in Train Status reports, except for the D&RGW stops that were bypassed.

Sumpins up, but darned if I know what.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page