RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Late train credits

Author Topic: Late train credits
chaslett
Member # 1012

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chaslett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my last two trains into Chicago, the CZ and the TE were over 4 hours late and my last LSL was 6 hours late into Boston.
Several passengers told me I should call Amtrak and they give some credit toward next tickets.
I have been riding Amtrak as my only means of travel since 1996 and had never heard this before.
Is this true? Thought I would call and see but wanted to see if others had heard this before.
Thanks.

Posts: 54 | From: Chagrin Falls, OH, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak discontinued the "satisfaction guaranteed" goodwill program shortly the Gunn administration was in place. However, they will still review complaints and, on a case by case basis, award "goodwill" consideration.

The reason I emphasize the phrase "goodwill" is because if they got you from your intended origin to destination with your body and baggage intact, they have fufilled the transportation contract. Under the terms of that contract, Amtrak owes you nothing further.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also check your travel insurance, if you had any. It's unlikely to apply unless you actually had a loss (hotel reservation unfulfilled, for example), and even then the excess might wipe out any losses, but without knowing your exact circumstances it's worth checking the small print.

FWIW my annual insurance stipulates I must be away from home for a minimum of 2 nights to count as a "trip", and most claims result in a GBP50 excess (around USD95 at the current great exchange rate).

Tiny chance, but check anyway.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4508

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1702     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you still have your ticket receipts & reservation numbers, I'd call 1-800-USA-RAIL, ask for "agent", then when the res agent comes on ask for "customer service". If your trips weren't too "old" they should have the arrival time information still available & might be able to send you a travel voucher.

I know Mr. Gunn discontinued the "we guarantee your satisfaction" debacle, but I believe customer service still issues travel vouchers dependent on the circumstances.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4508

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1702     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops, I misspoke, it's "customer relations" not "customer service".
Posts: 73 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page