RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » California Zephyr 5

Author Topic: California Zephyr 5
manypims
Member # 3887

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for manypims   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be taking the Zepyhr from Chicago to Emeryville on Saturday, Aug. 26. Unless something changes, we will be taking the normal route and -- unfortunately -- not the detour through Wyoming. Anyway, I'll be keeping a live travelogue (wireless card willing) and if there is anything you want me to keep an eye out for, let me know.

--------------------
Visit my real-time rail blog at
http://manypims.blogspot.com

Posts: 16 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have taken both of those routes and in my opinion you are fortunate to have the "normal" one. I think it's superior to the Wyoming route. One question, I read your report of Feb. ( which I enjoyed) and I see you mentioned Larry as your attendent on the Capital . Was that Larry Picard? He is our favorite attendent, really a super person.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To a non fan rider, the "regular' routing over the D&RGW is likely preferred as it offers the finest scenery in North America viewable from a scheduled train.

Likely the Canadian Pacific passage over the Rockies is THE most scenic ride, but that is only served by "luxotrains" @ their $1000/day rates.

The ascent to the Baranca del Cobre on the Chihuahua Pacific is also "right up there" and can be viewed from a scheduled passenger train. However, us "Nortes" are best advised to do as part of a tour group.

However, I would think a fan/hobbyist would prefer a Zephyr routing via the Overland Route through WY. The "moonscape' is awesome - and to think that people 150 years ago x'd this land on foot (along with other folk who were there first and "not exactly' welcoming the newcomers). But the "main event" is of course the "action" on the UP, where trains run literally on "headway". I can recall journeys on the "City" during the '60's in which one could observe, from the Dome, two trains traveling in the opposite direction simultaneously, yet one "block' apart. It is quite a show, and from what I have learned, if there is any part of the UP that operates with the efficiency from "days of yore", this is it.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was able to ride the 'detour' route in 2004. My one trip on the 'Pioneer' in 1989 came when that train diverged in Salt Lake City rather than Denver.

Being a fan and a mileage tracker I was glad for the chance to ride the fabled 'Overland Route' through Wyoming and someday I would like to again. I enjoyed the 'wild west' scenery and also seeing many frieght trains without having to wait in sidings for hours while doing so.

Having said that, the Wyoming route is not one I would want to go back and ride every year. The 'normal' route is one I would take every three months if I could! The big freight show is not quite as obvious in a 'Sightseer Lounge' as it would be in a true dome car!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manypims
Member # 3887

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for manypims   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, train lady, but I do not know Larry's last name.

--------------------

Posts: 16 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.P. Roberts
Member # 4535

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D.P. Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by manypims:
Anyway, I'll be keeping a live travelogue (wireless card willing)

Where can you get wireless internet access on the Zephyr? I know that some stations have wifi, but I thought it was just a few stations on the east coast.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manypims
Member # 3887

Rate Member
D.P., you have to have your own Wireless Internet card to get access on the train. I have a Sierra Wireless AirCard 580 with service from Verizon Wirless.

BTW Train 29 (26) left 40 minutes late today from Chicago.

--------------------

manypims
Member # 3887

Rate Member
D.P., you have to have your own Wireless Internet card to get access on the train. I have a Sierra Wireless AirCard 580 with service from Verizon Wirless.

BTW Train 29 (26) left 40 minutes late today from Chicago.

--------------------

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good that you live in BNSF territory Mr. Norman. I hear that the UP plans to ban train-spotting while walking canine companions!

(just kidding......I've heard nothing of the sort.......for now anyway!)

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With all due respect, Mr. Norman, this #X(Y) stuff is giving me a headache. I have developed a scorecard and charts and graphs and a small reference library to keep up with all this, but I think it's threatening to make my head explode. I mean, how many people know the WB CZ is #5 (let alone what WB and CZ mean)?

Wouldn't "the Zephyr (love that name) left Chicago 40 minutes late today" do?

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman, I must say I agree with Zepher. I have never seen such demarkations used before but I certainly take your word for it. However I shall continue to say The Capital or 29 and assume people know where of I speak. I think you must have been in a job that required precision to the enth degree. You always seem to pick up on the smallest details. I say this in admiration not as a put down.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Train lady, Mr. Norman is a CPA. That's the clinical term for his condition. But I understand he is in rehab and progessing as well as can be expected toward recovery. Therapists report they have succeeded in getting him to stop counting the beans when he opens a 15 oz VanCamp's Pork and Beans can (he never ate the contents, but had this obsession with counting the beans). They are currently working on having him drop his subscription to the New York Times and starting one with the National Enquirer. This part of his recovery has proven to be difficult, but they are optimistic about success due to a change in his medication (some new experimental brain cell killing drug they're trying).

Treating CPA's is a long, slow process. It's one step at a time. Once they cure the NY Times thing, then they'll move on to dealing with that pesky classical music problem. And then on to working on the uncontrolled drooling at the sight of a new tax form (CPA incontinence). And so on. Patience and understanding is needed. Let's all keep him in our thoughts.

And before anyone gets the wrong impression, the above is just some poking fun at one of my favorite members of this forum.

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.P. Roberts
Member # 4535

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D.P. Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I think I'm still confused. My laptop has a wireless card, and I have a wireless home network. I can use my laptop at wifi "hotspots"- but as far as I know, everyone needs to be near a hotspot. I saw on the Amtrak site that several Metropolitan lounges on the east coast are hotspots, so I assumed that these are the only places you could get access (unless you got off the train). Is that not the case?
Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by D.P. Roberts:
quote:

I think I'm still confused. My laptop has a wireless card, and I have a wireless home network. I can use my laptop at wifi "hotspots"- but as far as I know, everyone needs to be near a hotspot. I saw on the Amtrak site that several Metropolitan lounges on the east coast are hotspots, so I assumed that these are the only places you could get access (unless you got off the train). Is that not the case?
The aircard is like your cell phone, except it plugs into your laptop. If there is a tower nearby, you can hook up to the internet, for about $60 a month, with unlimited minutes.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zephyr:
With all due respect, Mr. Norman, this #X(Y) stuff is giving me a headache.

quote:
Originally posted by train lady:
Mr. Norman, I must say I agree with Zepher.

I tend to agree. When not 'conforming' to this strict regiment of identifying a train, one may be afraid to post a question or review on the off chance they may feel, or will be pointed out as ignorant in the 'ways' in front of the rest of the board members.

Often we forget not everyone on this board is a perfectionist or an over-the-top enthusiast.

--------------------
The best part of life is the journey, not the destination.

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Calm down abbreviation phobics and fanatics. Just state the train number, the direction it's heading & the date it left its origination point when referring to a train trip - westbound (WB) California Zephyr (5) that left Chicago on the 26th will translate to
WB CZ 5(26) Takes a few more keystrokes, but everyone (?) is happy. Breathe in, breathe out, repeat.

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take all of the above comments in good spirits, and actually had a (rare with me) laugh from Mr. Zephyr's, but postings such as "the Zephyr was late today" are simply meaningless.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
Good that you live in BNSF territory Mr. Norman. I hear that the UP plans to ban train-spotting while walking canine companions!

(just kidding......I've heard nothing of the sort.......for now anyway!)

Actually Mr. Presley, you are not kidding. The Union Pacific has imposed an amateur photography, i.e. railfan, ban from METRA commuter station platforms. I had seen such circulating at other "rumormongering" forums, but today the story was carried on WBBM 780, which to me, means it has been confirmed by a major newssource.

But in the course of my Daily walks from 18.32 to 17.85 and return (18.34 was where my office was located;18.7 is closer to my home), there is an unobstructed view of the BNSF. It is simply impossible NOT to have any "action' during such. However, I have not taken a rail photo since 1984 - and that was at a designated fan trip photo stop.

zephyr
Member # 1651

Well ok, Mr. Norman, I'll give the #X(Y) stuff another shot. But if it ends up really making my head explode, then you, Sir, must take full responsibility.

And by the way, how many beans (median number preferred) are in a 15 oz VanCamp Pork and Beans can? I've always wondered about that.

manypims
Member # 3887

Rate Member
California Zephyr 5 (26) is 23 minutes late leaving Denver. That number will increase at Fraser-Winter Park as we are sitting outside of Arvada on the first incline as a UP engine is stopped exiting the one-track tunnel. The delay is 15 minutes and counting....

--------------------

manypims
Member # 3887

Rate Member
D.P.:

I have two wireless cards -- one like yours for local or home hotspots and one that you can buy from Verizon or another service provider that gives you nationwide Internet access, similar to Internet service you may have on your phone or Blackberry.

--------------------

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
California Zephyr 5 (26) is 23 minutes late leaving Denver. That number will increase at Fraser-Winter Park as we are sitting outside of Arvada on the first incline as a UP engine is stopped exiting the one-track tunnel. The delay is 15 minutes and counting....

This technology thing sure is great. Were creative and it looks like we're going to find a way to enjoy vicarious rail trips other than tracking someone's progress using 'Julie' and train status reports!

Are you still sitting in Arvada?

I spent a couple of summers in Arvada while involved with a Denver youth group twenty-one and twenty-two years ago. I remember trying to time evening trips to the U-Totem Store on Colfax with when #6 (eastbound) California Zephyr would be coming down from the Big Ten curves. Actually managed to see it like.....twice.

--------------------
David Pressley

manypims
Member # 3887

Rate Member
Yesterday in Arvada, from the train, we saw the same group of photographers at two different crossings. From looking at the map it probably took them 5 to 10 minutes drive from one location to the other. Of course, with the UP delays it took us about an hour to do so on the train.

--------------------

manypims
Member # 3887

Rate Member
BTW, as of this writing, train 5 (26) is between Elko and Winnemucca, NV running about 3:30 behind schedule.

--------------------

Boyce
Member # 2719

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boyce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just read some of your blog. It is excellent.
Posts: 113 | From: San Antonio, Texas,USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page