RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Viewliner Sleepers still have in room video?

Author Topic: Viewliner Sleepers still have in room video?
20thCenturyLimited
Member # 1108

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20thCenturyLimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do the Viewliner sleepers still have in room audio and video, or has it all be taken out and replaced with the extra fee digEplayers? It would be disappointing if that was the case, as the in room audio and video was one of the "First Class" amenities of traveling by sleeper.

I would appreciate any knowledge of the above that anyone could share.

Posts: 134 | From: New York, New York USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gone
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20thCenturyLimited
Member # 1108

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20thCenturyLimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Gone

Gone? They took the video monitors out? What about the audio? It's only for train announcements now? If they took it out then the digiEplayers should be complimentary for sleeping car passengers...!!!!!
Posts: 134 | From: New York, New York USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Confirm; GONE. Monitors have been removed, but if in somne cars they remain, they are no longer used. Likewise beyond Auto-Train, I'm not sure where the DigiEplayers are offered, but wherever they are, be assured they are not "comp".
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20thCenturyLimited
Member # 1108

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Confirm; GONE. Monitors have been removed, but if in somne cars they remain, they are no longer used. Likewise beyond Auto-Train, I'm not sure where the DigiEplayers are offered, but wherever they are they are not "comp".

Well digEplayers are coming to New York Penn, so I read on the Amtrak website. This really sucks. I wonder why they did this, to increase revenue? Pisses me off a bit. And they really should be "comp" for sleeping car pax.

Thanks for the confirmation.

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I rode the Crescent two years ago, the video monitors in most rooms were broken or gone. Those that worked only played a constantly repeating cycle of old TV sitcoms. I was given my choice of a room with a working TV or a working fan (held on with lots of duct tape). I chose the fan.

On the Surfliners B/C cars I've only seen the monitors used/working once. I was told recently that they will be removed as seats are redone. Headphones are no longer boarded.

Frank in, you guessed it, Sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20thCenturyLimited
Member # 1108

Rate Member
It's amazing how Amtrak can't get their act together when it comes to this sort of thing. Last time I rode a Viewliner was in Novermber of 2002, in room video working just fine. I guess the Viewliners have deteriorated since then. Too bad.
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have taken the LSL several times & only once did the video work (and then it was shut off in the middle of a movie because we were arriving (an hour later) into Chicago, The video has been gone for more than a year on the LSL. Digi-players are offered for rent in several stations, including Chicago in the Metroploitan Lounge). Cost depends on how far you are going. If your destination station does not have digiplayer rentals, then you have to buy an envelope to return it by mail. According to the Amtrak website, they are going to install return boxes in lounge cars so this extra expense can be eliminated. For more information, just poke around on the Amtrak website until you find a reference to digiplayers & you'll get all kinds of info, including what movies are currently playing. For me, an iPod, a book (for when it is dark outside), and some binoculars (for daylight hours) provide all the entertainment I need on a train.
Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20thCenturyLimited
Member # 1108

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Judy McFarland:
I have taken the LSL several times & only once did the video work (and then it was shut off in the middle of a movie because we were arriving (an hour later) into Chicago, The video has been gone for more than a year on the LSL. Digi-players are offered for rent in several stations, including Chicago in the Metroploitan Lounge). Cost depends on how far you are going. If your destination station does not have digiplayer rentals, then you have to buy an envelope to return it by mail. According to the Amtrak website, they are going to install return boxes in lounge cars so this extra expense can be eliminated. For more information, just poke around on the Amtrak website until you find a reference to digiplayers & you'll get all kinds of info, including what movies are currently playing. For me, an iPod, a book (for when it is dark outside), and some binoculars (for daylight hours) provide all the entertainment I need on a train.

Thanks Judy. I must have been lucky becuse I've taken Amtrak's Silver Service four times (two round trips) and all four times the video was working. The last time, however, like I said, was in November of 2002. I did read on the Amtrak website about the drop boxes in the lounge cars, but they say those are being installed on the Superliner lounges. Perhaps when more East Coast stations get the digEplayers, the drop boxes will be installed in the lounge cars of those trains. However a drop box does sound dubious for damaging the devices.

At night when it was dark was when I used the video. During the day I would look outside.

I've always thought they should just install video screens and satellite TV at every coach seat and in every sleeper bedroomm ala jetBlue. It could be done, and would work out better than the old video monitors OR these digEplayers. You could get live news and other entertainment channels. They could even have route maps showing the route of the train and where you were along the route, just like the flight maps on jetBlue and other airlines. Hell you even get that in your cabin on a cruise ship (showing your route and where the ship currenly is on the route).

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came to enjoy the option of watching an afternoon movie on the video monitors in business class on the 'Carolinian'. It was a nice diversion that made the 90-150 minutes spent not moving at all (whilst waiting for freight trains) between Richmond and Rocky Mount a little more tolerable.

Now the movies are gone and I usually opt to fly Airtran or Southwest to BWI and catch the train from there rather than risk any conection on an hours late train coming from points south over CSX.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Video monitors are gone from the viewliners because Amtrak determined they could save XX dollars by removing them and not maintaining them. Also, in order to expand the market demand for the digiplayer rentals, Amtrak is currently planning on discontinuing the showing of movies in the lounge cars in the near future.
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems this happends to most video entertainment. The video monintors in Business Class on the Pacific Surfliners are rarely used. DigEPlayers are becoming widely available, and are priced about $11 a day.
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20thCenturyLimited
Member # 1108

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by CoastStarlight99:
Seems this happends to most video entertainment. The video monintors in Business Class on the Pacific Surfliners are rarely used. DigEPlayers are becoming widely available, and are priced about $11 a day.

My Satellite TV idea ala jetBlue is the best idea of all, but of course, Amtrak is pathetically broke all of the time thanks to a government who won't support them like they should...such a shame.
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, for one, will not miss the showing of movies in the lounge cars.

But they should replace the Parlour car TV's with giant plasma screens for movie viewing.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20thCenturyLimited
Member # 1108

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Room Service:
I, for one, will not miss the showing of movies in the lounge cars.

But they should replace the Parlour car TV's with giant plasma screens for movie viewing.

You mean on the Coast Starlight? Wasn't there a downstairs cinema?
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was changing trains in Chicago, a private outfit in the Metropolitan Lounge was renting equipment with movies and music. I think the rental allowed for something like 10 movies.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtabern
Member # 4306

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtabern   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are renting the DigiPlayers in Chicago -- both in the Metropolitan Lounge and they also have a new booth set up in the general coach waiting area too. It sells DigiPlayers and a limited number of Amtrak souvineers too like t-shirts, posters, etc.

I won't miss the showing of movies in the lounge car either. I find it somewhat distracting when you're trying to enjoy the scenery or just chat and meet fellow travelers.

Posts: 100 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page