RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » When did Amtrak takeover Auto Train facilities from private company?

Author Topic: When did Amtrak takeover Auto Train facilities from private company?
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When did Amtrak take over the Auto Train facilities in Lorton, VA and Sanford, FL and the original cars from the previous private company owner?
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The original Auto-Train ceased operations in April 1981. Their bankruptcy was caused, in part, by their failed attempt to add a second route between Sanford and Louisville, KY. The Louisville train operated from just 1974 to 1977 and was down to only one trip a week by the end. I have relatives in the Louisville area and remember the excitement when Auto-Train first began service there.

I may be wrong, but I believe that the Louisville expansion failed because the northern terminus was a little too far from the Chicago area and the length of the ride was maybe 6 hours longer than the typical auto-train demographic was willing to spend on a train.

Amtrak acquired the Lorton and Sanford terminals and began operating Auto-Train service tri-weekly in October 1983. Amtrak's version of the Auto-Train gained popularity and began daily operation a year later in October 1984.

One other note.......for a brief period around 1976 or so Amtrak and the original Auto-Train attempted to cut their operational expenses by combining Amtrak's 'Floridian' with the Louisville Auto-Train between Louisville and Sanford. Amtrak moved from Union Station in downtown Louisville out to Auto-Train's terminal on the far southern edge of town. Louisville Union Station was a stub-end affair which Amtrak had to back into.....they were eager to leave. After the Louisville Auto-Train ended, Amtrak continued to use Louisville's Auto-Train station until the 'Floridian' itself was discontinued two years later in October 1979.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A point I would like to add to Mr. Presley's concise and informative report is that the only equipment Amtrak acquired from Auto Train were the Auto Carriers. They did not acquire any locomotives or passenger cars from the Estate.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4508

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1702     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a very thorough article on wikipedia about Amtrak's Auto Train and the Auto Train Corporation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_Train

Posts: 73 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 1702:
There is a very thorough article on wikipedia about Amtrak's Auto Train and the Auto Train Corporation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_Train

Thanks for posting the link 1702! If I had checked Wikipedia it would have saved me flipping through two dozen old Trains Magazines to make certain I had the right date for the end of the original Auto-Train!

I sent you a private message through the railforum a couple of weeks ago. Just curious whether it has reached you yet.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The major failing IMHO is that the east coast Autotrain covered its distance in a better than reasoable driving time for the distance and the Midwest Autotrain did not.

The timekeeping of the Louisville line was relatively poor, also. This was in the low point of L&N track conditions, and for the Chicago to Louisville portion of the Floridian the slow way via the ex Monon. In addition, south of Montgomery AL the SCL ex-ACL line was a non-signaled and fairly lightly built line that was also in a state of deterioration. The combination was of doubtful benefit in that it slowed both trains that were already slow simply to save a set of train crews.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many Thanks for all the details!
Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page