RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » "Host" railroad?

Author Topic: "Host" railroad?
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there any easy way to find out who the host railroad is for a particular segment? I seem to recall seeing it as part of some of the route listings on the Amtrak website.

I ask because today's (09/05/06) Santa Barbara News-Press reported a signal problem that delayed some trains southbound from SBA yesterday by as much as five hours. They said that BNSF owned the track. I thought it was UP and Metrolink.

Frank in HOT SBA.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't there a section in the National Timetable which lists host railroads by long-distance route segments? I think I recall seeing that in one of the reference sections.

I'd get up and confirm that myself but I'm pinned by the laptop in my lap and the black cat sleeping on my left shoulder!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eldee
Member # 4544

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for eldee         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yup. for most routes, in the section preambles of the amtrak system timetable, it lists the host roads by segment.
Posts: 5 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Asking here would probably work as well as anything. If you have the SPV railroad atlases they also list the current and past ownerships. Newspaper statements of line ownership are probably the least accurate possible source. Mapquest is also near worthless. For example, the Norfolk Southern ex Southern Railway line from Salisbury to Asheville NC is labeled CSX in a number of locations on mapquest.

For the line in question, so far as I know only the part of the "Surfline" owned by BNSF is from near Los Angeles Union Station to Fullerton. South is owned by Metrolink or Coaster, and north is either Metrolink or Union Pacific, the ex Southern Pacific part of it, that is.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, folks. This would not be the first error reported since the mass exodus of editors and staff from the paper recently.

I seem to remember the part of the national timetable you were making reference to.

The disturbing thing is that they quoted an "Amtrak source" in their report.

Frank in cooling off SBA.

P.S. David, you are excused. You know what they say about "sleeping cats". Or is that only dogs?

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given the choice, I think I would rather disturb a sleeping *** than a sleeping cat.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank - yes the route ownerships are listed in the AMTRAK timetable -- see p. 87 of the current timetable for your route.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Off topic--

Mr. Frank SBA, it certainly appears that your local rag is the subject of much controversy. I cannot trace its ownership to any chain such as Gannet, Knight Ridder, Belo, or Tribune, and can only conclude it is independently owned apparently by a lady named Wendy Mc Caw.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by George Harris:
Given the choice, I think I would rather disturb a sleeping *** than a sleeping cat.

Cats or dogs

Classical or Jazz

Democrats or Republicans

Santa Clara or Blue Devils (obscure drum corps reference)

Uniters or Dividers

Cheese or cheese-like dairy product.

It takes all kinds.....after the beating I take out in the world some days I'm just thrilled that the cat chooses to sleep on me and doesn't demand anything while she's at it!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel3197
Member # 27

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel3197     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am fortunate to know that the host railroad for
the Santa Barbara segment of the Pacific Surfliner
is the Union Pacific.
Metrolink dispatches the Coast Line from
Moorpark south(east) on in to Los Angeles.
The UP currently controls the Coast Line
from Moorpark north(west) all the way to
the southern part of San Jose where the
Caltrain Commuter railroad handles dispatching
in the San Jose to Santa Clara (passenger terminal) area.
From Santa Clara the UP does again pick up
control of the line up thru Alviso, Newark and goes to Oakland and beyond.
THe Caltrain commuter railroad continues their
ownership on those tracks thru Palo Alto to the end of railroad at San Francisco.

The main San Jose passenger depot "Diridon Station"
has become a very BUSY place over the past several years with now I think some
120 scheduled passenger trains on a weekday (Mon-Fri).
We just recently got a big service increase from
the Amtrak Capitol Corridor which boosted those numbers to what I another railfan said is now 120 trains.
The San Jose depot should really be officially named
"San Jose UNION STATION" because ALL of the following carriers currently serve it:
Amtrak, ACE Commutes, Amtrak Capitols, Caltrain commutes (original SF to SF service)
and the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Aurhority (VTA Light Rail).
This gives you an idea about why the
San Jose to San Francisco commuter railroad
Caltrain purchased their line which includes much
of the San Jose area.

Amtrak sometimes publishes the host railroads in their national timetable. At other times they leave that rather vital information out of the timetable.
You know, the traveling public does deserve to know who actually
controls the railroad over which they ride on.
I do not know where someone new to railroading
can genrally find out what the Amtrak host railroad is
for a given segment.
When I first learned about railroads as a child it took me a while to learn who controlled what tracks and those things.
I hope all of this helps you!
--- Daniel

quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
Is there any easy way to find out who the host railroad is for a particular segment? I seem to recall seeing it as part of some of the route listings on the Amtrak website.

I ask because today's (09/05/06) Santa Barbara News-Press reported a signal problem that delayed some trains southbound from SBA yesterday by as much as five hours. They said that BNSF owned the track. I thought it was UP and Metrolink.

Frank in HOT SBA.

Posts: 283 | From: Palo Alto,CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daniel - for the past 2 or 3 years, railroad ownership has been listed in the AMTRAK National Timetable
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, folks--

Thanks for all of the information. It turns out that what I have must not be the National Timetable. It's the big brochure with all of the routes listed and general information on travel. I'm thinking that the host railroad information may be on the individual schedules since I know I've seen it somewhere.

Thanks, Daniel for the very detailed info on the hosts south of SBA. I would write to the News-Press to correct their reporting but the current owner doesn't like to hear about errors in reporting. She would probably categorize that as inserting my "personal views" into reporting.

Mr. Norman, you are quite right, Ms. McCaw (who divorced quite profitiably from cell phone magnate Craig McCaw) is the sole owner of the paper. She bought it from the New York Times. She is co-publisher with her "fiance" and "bon-vivant and consultant to the bottled water industry", whose name is Arthur von Weisenberg. His claim to being qualified for this job is that he was the editor of his school paper in Switzerland.

As of last Friday, 17 editors and reporters had quit. Those remaining are trying to get union representation to protect them. Lou Cannon, formerly of the Washington Post, and Sandor Vanocour, both local residents, have tried to talk to Ms. McCaw about the situation but she has ignored them. The latest report is that 3000+ people have cancelled their subscriptions (including me and our mayor) since July.

Best,

Frank in cloudy, cool SBA

delvyrails
Member # 4205

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for delvyrails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want to know the owner of any given stretch of track, I'd recommend Harry Ladd's "U.S. Railroad Traffic Atlas". Each map lists all of a line's operators including Amtrak and shows the traffic density of every segment. There's a route map for each state and major freight carrier. There's also a train frequency map for Amtrak. Latest edition published 2003.

Contact LadPub@earthlink.net or http://www.trainweb.com/usrailroadatlas/

--------------------
John Pawson

Posts: 137 | From: Willow Grove, PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page