RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Clueless in Seattle

Author Topic: Clueless in Seattle
Doug C
Member # 4558

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I are investigating a cross country Amtrak trip for next summer. We are thinking of flying to Chicago and taking the Empire Builder westbound, stopping over for a night in Essex at the Izaak Walton and taking a day tour of Glacier, then catching the train that night on in to Seattle. I took the train from Philly to Raleigh a few times when I was in school, but have never been on a trip like the Empire Builder and have lots of questions.

Before posting I spent some time today reading various posts throughout this forum, doing some searching and found you all to be very helpful and informative. I love the 12" of duct tape suggestion. But I've unanswered questions I didn't find answers to, so thought I'd post. If there is another resource I can be pointed to, please do so. Thnaks.

I'm figuring we'd get a roomette, at least as far as Essex. The way I understand it, that is a private space for the two of us both during the day and for sleeping at night. We would still have access to the lounge and dining cars, but would not have any other seat; is that right? I read with interest about separating your baggage so as to keep the things we would need on the trip with you and checking through your additional bags.

Amtrak seems to have a terrible reputation for not being on time, so I'm somewhat concerned about that. Should I be? The current schedule for the Empire Builder, though, has it arriving in Essex at 7:40 pm, so a delay of 1, 2, or even 4 hours wouldn't be so bad. We'd also be spending a couple of days in Seattle before flying home, so timeliness may not be an issue for us.

What is the etiquette for the sightseeing car? Do people spend the whole trip there? Is that kosher? Or is there enough to see from the seats? And I presume the roomettes only look out one side. Oh - I'm 6'1" - will I fit in the bed?

From Essex to Seattle I was thinking that maybe we'd just get coach seats - that we would likely have missed dinner on board and the train gets in to Seattle just a little over 14 hours later. Mistake? And is there any difference between "reserved coach seats" and "Superliner Lower Level Coach Seats"? If we bought reserved coach seats from Essex to Seattle is it possible we might not be able to sit together?

I read somewhere there is a shower in the bathrooms in the sleeping cars. I don't see that on the Amtrak website, though. Are there showers?

When is the best time to book tickets? Since we will have to coordinate this with buying airline tickets (and open jaw tickets at that) I want to buy them at the same time. Any thoughts?

Those are my big questions. Thanks for your help and insight.

Doug

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You indicated that you would plan one night at Izaak Walton, then a day tour of Glacier & back on the westbound Empire Builder. The Glacier daytrip is wonderful - great old (but refurbished & like new) red buses with open tops (canvas cover in case of rain), but you should be aware that the trip won't get you back to the Inn until after 6 PM. It's a LONG day and if your budget can take it, I encourage you to spend 2 nights at the Inn. You can get a room package that includes 2 breakfasts & 2 dinners & the bus trip & book all at once. The way I did it was to arrange to not eat dinner at the Inn the first night (since I would eat on the train, and then to have that dinner the night I was to leave. They were very agreeable to that arrangement. You will have to check out of your room by noon or so, but the porch swing is inviting as well as the cozy main lobby for reading or playing board games. The food at the Inn is excellent - the huckleberry cobbler & Mountain Meadow Salad were especially delightful. And twice a day when Amtrak goes by, the engineer blows his whistle & everyone (including the restaurant waitstaff, guests, & front desk people) go outside to wave. Hokey, but fun!

A little more about the red bus tour: the bus holds 16 passengers on 4-across seating with doors that open only on one side. Generally people sit where they have sat on the whole trip. The door side has the best views, and getting on at Essex means you can probably count on a door-side seat. One passenger can also sit with the driver, which I did because of my bad knees. The bus makes several stops, including a lunch stop at Lake MacDonald Lodge - not included in tour price). You are picked up at the Izaak Walton Inn about 10 or 10:30 AM. On the return (it is a one-way loop) the passengers who boarded at East Glacier all get off & then the bus returns you to Izaak Walton. The bus makes several short stops for photography, and when the bus is parked, you can stand up in your seat for a better view (again provided the canvas top is rolled back because the weather is sunny). There is also a stop at Logan Pass Visitors Center (many mountain goats crossing the road when I was there at the end of July). The narration of scenery & history was outstanding. Bus trip DEFINITELY beats driving the road yourself - you can concentrate on the scenery & not the traffic.

You asked about coach seats Essex-Seattle. Lower level seats are convenient to the rest rooms, but the view is not as good as from upstairs. I'm sure an effort would be made to seat you together, but it's not a guarantee. You might be able tp upgrade to a sleeper after you board, but in the busy summer season it's not a sure thing.

Reference to sleeping car layouts:
http://trainweb.org/crocon/sleeperplans.html

You cannot check bags to/from Essex - there is no station, just a flat gravel spot a few hundred yards from the Inn. The Inn will pick you up from there. Therefore, pack a small bag with what you need during the trip & leave your other bag(s) in the racks in the vestibule when you board the train. I recommend locking your bag & tying something colorful to it to prevent someone from taking it by mistake.

Keep in mind that a roomette is very small - two adults will be sitting facing each other, and when the beds are made up, the available floor space is the size of a cafeteria tray (and I'm not kidding). 6'1" should not be a problem, but some physical agility is required to get to the top bunk & to dress in such confined space. For one night, it's probably manageable. You are correct that you can only see out one side of the train from a roomette. I can't comment on how crowded the lounge gets since I haven't been in the new lounges.

When I was on the Empire Builder last summer, they had a wine tasting in the diner for sleeping car passengers - they came through the sleepers & took names of those who would attend. Someone will also take dinner reservations both evenings - before you reach Milwaukee the first night. Breakfast & lunch are first come/first served.

Amazingly enough, the Empire Builder has a very good on-time record. Unless there is some incident, you could expect to be pretty much on time in to Essex. Regardless, the Inn will meet you - they call from East Glacier to let the Inn know arrival time.

You didn't mention when in the summer you would travel, but for maximum daylight (and scenery), I would recommend mid to late July over August. June might be too early if there is heavy snow - causing problems with plowing/opening the road for sight-seeing.

Make your Inn reservations early (I made mine in February & avoided a March 1 price increase). Also got a great room when I described what I needed. They will put a "do not move" on your reservation if you request something special (I had a corner room for good ventilation all day.) I heard some of the rooms in the upper floors were stuffy. There are ceiling fans but no a/c, and it does cool off nicely at night.

Along with your duct tape, pack a small bottle of hand sanitizer. Carry it to the diner with you - you will have handled many things between your room & the diner! Don't forget to tip your waiter & your car attendant if they have provided good service. And if you have room, you'll appreciate having binoculars for the train and for the tour through Glacier Park.

I'll let someone else address your other questions. Have a great trip!

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug, there is a shower room on the lower level of the sleepers. If lack of space to get dressed is a problem just take yur clothes to the bathroom and get dressed there. The one on the upper level is bigger than the ones on the lower. Also we prefer the upper level (rooms 2-10) because among other things the view is better. You are right the seats in the roomette are yours and those are the only ones assigned to you. One can stay in the lounge as long as one wishes but if it is crowded the polite thing to do is limit your time there so others may sit. I would advise you to get your reservations as soon as possible. You have a better choice and over the summer reservations go quickly. Most of the time the earlier you book the lower the price. If it were me I would book a roomette from Glacier to Seattle because you may be tired after your stopover and while sleeping in coach isn't impossible it is more comfortable and quiet in sleepers. Have a great time
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Isaak Walton Inn is a supurb destination. My wife and I spent two nights there on our honeymoon before moving on to more economical lodging in Whitefish. The Empire Builder spends most of it's trip on BNSF and generally has a reasonably good timekeeping record. I have never personally been on an EB (6 or 7 times now) that was more than two hours late.....although a serious incident could blow the timetable completely.

To Judy's excellent suggestions, I would add that you may want to spend some time at the Amtrak website researching fares. Pick a target date for travel and see what the fares are. Then check two or three travel dates in either direction. The coach fare is generally the same BUT the prices for the sleeping car space may vary dramatically from day to day. For instance, I travelled Chicago to Oakland on the California Zephyr this past April. I managed to find a roomette that was nearly $200.00 cheaper than the same space departing a day sooner or a day later.

Play with various other options. Why not consider moving from the roomette to coach at Minot, ND? The money you save might partially defray the cost of using the sleeper again from Essex on to Seattle.

There is a communal shower (well....it has a lock so it's only one person at a time) for the use of roomette passengers on the bottom floor of the sleeping cars. The bedrooms have their own enclosed shower and toilet inside your room.

Just a couple of other suggestions......you don't mention where you are flying from to begin with. May I assume the northeast as you used to take the train to Raleigh from Philadelphia? If so, I would consider booking roundtrip airfare to Seattle and doing this.....

1) Empire Builder from Seattle to either Shelby or Havre in roomette. Do the eastbound departure from Seattle because that's the section the full diner is on. You'll get a hot supper on-board this way.

2) Same day depart westbound to Essex in coach.

3) After your stay at Isaak Walton, depart westbound to Portland on the Empire Builder's Oregon section......take roomette if you can. This gives you the spectacular ride down the Columbia River as compensation for passing on the upper Mississippi between LaCrosse and St. Paul. The lounge car provides food service for the Portland section and sleeping car passengers receive a pre-boxed continental type breakfast.

4) Take a Cascade Talgo train from Portland back to Seattle for your flight home.

OR.....fly to Portland where you can get the light rail downtown to within four blocks of the train station for just a dollar.

I suggest this alternative to give you something different to consider. You'd have a chance to sample a couple of different types of train service in 'lower' doses. You'd also be assured of getting a daylight ride (eastbound) through the Glacier Park area......something you would miss if your westbound train is two hours late. While the Empire Builder is a great ride, the all day trip across North Dakota and Montana gets to be surprisingly.......long.......on the heels of that first afternoon out from Chicago.

Final tip - If you do fly to Chicago, try to go into Midway airport. The El train will take directly downtown to within 3-4 blocks from Union Station.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would strongly urge you spend 2 nights at Glacier Park--not only to see it but because when traveling by train, even the Empire Builder, you should leave a "cushion." Anyway, I think you are fine to go coach after that--just bring pillows, earplugs, and eye masks (or put your sweatshirt over your eyes). And whether coach or sleeper, do bring a sweatshirt or cardigan or such and a pair of socks, in case some train cars are cold; in coach, it's good to wear layers inc a very light top under it, in case train is hot. The chances of your being seated separately are very very slim, esp if you get on in Chicago; when I was on the Empire Builder eastbound last August, and went coach for one night to save $$$, I had the seat to myself--i.e., though busy, coach was not full.

The observation car was never so busy that I couldn't get a seat, and you won't stay in there the whole time because you'll go to the dining car to eat, get off at the "smoke" stops (I don't smoke but always try to get off unless I'm eating or sleeping; I urge you get off in Minot, rhymes with Why not? and in I don't want her you can have her and read the sign and see other stuff at station; also Minneapolis is a long stop, if you're not eating; and Whitefish is fairly nice though you'll have been to Glacier Pk so that won't matter so much).

If you have never crossed the Mississippi on a train, or at least on land, then I think there is something to be said for taking the train east to west (more like the pioneers) AND starting from Chicago. Also, the Empire Builder is on the Mississippi for a long and very attractive time, and when I took it east to west last May, I saw the most gorgeous sunset around St Paul/Minneapolis, found the food better in this direction, had a better wine tasting, etc. However, west to east does afford more scenery if the train is late, or when days are not as long.

If you've done the cross country before, then David P's triangle idea above sounds nice--and the Empire Builder west out of Portland up the Columbia River Gorge is quite gorgeous the first night, plus the observation car is on that branch of the Empire Builder.

OTOH, what you might consider doing is adding on to trip you plan, Chicago to Glacier to Seattle, a little triangle like I did--i.e., 1 night in Seattle, then Victoria Clipper next morning from Seattle to Victoria (it was around $69 with a Triple A discount; book in advance to make sure you get the bigger morning boat I think around 8AM), stay 2 nights, then Vancouver bus/ferry (it's a fairly inexpensive bus that then parks on a big ferry on which you get off for 1-1/2 hrs, then briefly back to bus--was $35 Canadian and maybe a Triple A discount, from Victoria to Vancouver (probably best to get off at Hotel Vancouver, the Fairmont hotel, not the bus terminal), stay at least 1 night (I took an Alaska cruise then but that is another story), then 6PM Amtrak Taglo train back to Seattle, a very pretty ride--with taxi from Seattle sta to your hotel, Or you could just fly back from Vancouver.

As for the larger bedroom vs smaller, yes indeed, 2 people would be more comfy in the larger, but it seems to me the prices next year a

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug - my wife and I took that trip earlier this summer -- we took the EB from Chicago to Essex and stayed at the Izaak Walton -- the above posters gave you a pretty good idea of what to expect, and I agree with their comments. As far as sleeping on the train, if you can afford it, I would suggest you book a "deluxe bedroom" on the EB --you will have A LOT more room for 2 people, and you will be able to see out your window as well as the window across the hall from your room if you keep your door open -- in the sleepers, "deluxe bedrooms" (formerly called "bedrooms") are only one one side of the train, while the "bedrooms"(formerly called "roomettes") are on both sides of the train. In addition, the deluxe bedrooms have an enclosed bathroom/shower in the room, and neither of you will have to sleep on the top bunk, since the lower bunk is actually a full-sized mattress bed which will accomodate both of you.

Enjoy the Izaak Walton Inn -- it is a FANTASTIC place!!!!! And as someone else said, you need to spend 2 nights there -- you'll arrive on the EB in the evening, then book your red bus "jammer" tour the next day, go back to the Izaak Walton and have a great dinner, watch the W-bd AMTRAK EB go through, have another good night's sleep, then continue on your journey the next day.

Let us know how your trip goes!

--Rich K

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug C
Member # 4558

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are some terrific suggestions. I'm a bit of a logistics freak - heck, my friends call me Captain Plan It - so this detailed information is indeed helpful. I'll try and respond to some of your thoughts so far.

We're in Raleigh, NC, and I've priced out open jaw tickets RDU-ORD/SEA-RDU and found them to be quite reasonable. The westbound EB works really well timing wise for us in our window of opportunity. It would be helpful to say we are looking at doing this in early July, yes indeed, around the 3rd or 4th to the 9th.

Terrific suggestion on buying roomette to Minot and coach to Essex. I priced it out both ways this morning (roomette all the way to Essex the other) and the savings was over $70. That would defray the roomette cost from Essex to SEA.

On the booking page there are choices for train 7 and 27. It is the same train, just showing the Spokane change. Does this make any difference for booking?

We travel to the southwest every year at Thanksgiving and put hundreds of miles on a rental car driving through the high desert. I understand that ND and eastern MT are (to some folks) kind of bleak, but we've never been there and would enjoy seeing the vastness of the plains. We also don't think of the desert as bleak, so doubt we would lump the plains that way. But then, I've never been.

My wife wants to go to SEA, has never been there, and air fare from SEA to RDU is much much cheaper than from Portland. While I think the ride through the Columbia River Gorge might be more spectacular than through the Cascades, going into SEA fits our desires, timing and budget.

Thanks to all who have replied so far.

Doug

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Doug,

Trains 7 and 27 are the same train from Chicago to Spokane. From Spokane train 7 refers to the Seattle section and 27 refers to the Portland section. Generally the Portland section will be the last four cars (the sightseer lounge, two coaches, and a sleeper) departing Chicago. Sometimes you may find the room on one section of the train cheaper than a room in the sleeper on the other section. Makes no sense but I can remember seeing that anomaly on train 422 (the Texas Eagle through cars from LAX) as opposed to the same space on train 2, the Sunset Limited.

I've used RDU myself. It's a great airport (LOTS of flight options on Southwest) for someone trying to plan a nice trip but shave some $$$$$ wherever possible.

In doing your research, look for the bus service (using comfortable long-distance buses) from the Seattle airport to downtown. My wife and I used it when we flew into SEA (from CLT on that trip) in April 2004!

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beacon Hill
Member # 4431

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beacon Hill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another helpful idea for saving money. At the bottom of the reservations page at Amtrak.com there is a box for *Promotion Code*. Enter *Amtrak Promotion Code* into your search engine and see what pops up. With a little research one can usually find a 20% discount or a 2-for-1 deal.
Posts: 78 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm confused; can you enter the words "Amtrak Promotion Code" and find out if there is one that applies? Or do you need to know the code numbers and enter those?

Usually these promotions are for just a few months ahead, and since for my long-distance travel I book earlier to ensure seats and less exorbitant prices, I find I cannot use them except on local (NE Regional) trips.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
For discounts I'll point out that AAA members can receive a 10% discount on the coach portion of their fare if you book more than three days in advance. (and a Captain Plan It would certainly do that.)

If you're not a AAA member and want to turn away from the 'darkside', members of the National Association of Railroad Passengers also qualify for the 10% coach discount.

--------------------
David Pressley

Beacon Hill
Member # 4431

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beacon Hill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes promotion codes are ususally only good a few months ahead of time, often blacked out for major travel periods and sometimes not applicable to sleepers. But if you find a good code you'll get a great deal. I always Google *Amtrak Promotion Codes* or *Amtrak Discounts* before I book.
Posts: 78 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the naming and re-naming of Amtrak's sleeping car rooms, RRRich has reversed the order of what is the current and past designations of these rooms. What Amtrak calls a "Bedroom" is the large accommodation with toilet and shower that was previously known as a "Deluxe Bedroom." What is now the "Roomette" had two previous names: more recently "Standard Bedroom" and further in the past "Economy Bedroom." This is a very small room with no toilet or shower and you cannot see out both sides of the train, whereas in the Bedroom (formerly Deluxe Bedroom) viewing out both sides is possible.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since you like the vastness of the high desert (as I do), I think you will find ND and Montana very interesting. But there is just very little change or variety in the scenery for hundreds of miles. I met someone from Austria touring the USA and his favorite part of the trip was North Dakota on a Greyhound, because he came from a crowded country filled with mountains. To some of us city slickers it is very comforting to be hundreds of miles from the nearest McDonalds or Starbucks, in the country where motorists wave when they see another human.

There is also the east to west pioneering spirit of exploration. I have met many people who bicycled from the midwest to the Pacific against relentless headwinds, because it felt like that is the way it needed to be done. You will also find the sunset ride up the Mississippi quite scenic that ime of year.

For the trip from CHI to Essex, there is no difference between 7 and 27, but one might be cheaper than another. If you get the end sleeper on 27 and there are no boxcars on the back, you can look out the back of the train at the end of the aisle. As mentioned before, there is no checked baggage at Essex. Whitefish has checked baggage and car rentals in their beautiful station.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Royal Train - I'm not sure if you are correct about the naming of the sleeping accomodations. On our trip this July (2 months ago), we were booked in a "deluxe bedroom" on Train #98 from WAS to WPK to come home. We tried to get a sleeping accomodation on Train #92, which left WAS earlier. We asked about availability at the AMTRAK ticket counter in WAS, and were told that yes there was a "bedroom" available on Train #92. I was about the book it, when I asked again, and found out that what the agent really meant was a "roomette," which she called a "bedroom." After we discussed the accomodations for a few minutes, she then told me "oh -- no there are no 'deluxe bedrooms' available on #92, only 'bedrooms.' I know the current timetable lists the accomodations like you mentioned, but I don't know what AMTRAK is really calling them now..............
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Amtrak agents can't even get the name right, what hope do us mere mortals have? I suppose "economy" room is too negative, but nothing wrong with "standard" and "deluxe" in my opinion. Maybe Amtrak should be sent a Plain English guide?

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Right on, Geoff!!!!!!!!
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Judy McFarland:
Keep in mind that a roomette is very small - two adults will be sitting facing each other, and when the beds are made up, the available floor space is the size of a cafeteria tray (and I'm not kidding). 6'1" should not be a problem, but some physical agility is required to get to the top bunk & to dress in such confined space. For one night, it's probably manageable. You are correct that you can only see out one side of the train from a roomette. I can't comment on how crowded the lounge gets since I haven't been in the new lounges.

Ms. McFarland addresses a caveat that should be well heeded especially by "first time" rail travelers.

While I must respect that, absent the likes of Bill, Melinda, Warren, and even Paris, we all must have our budgets, but I for one would not even consider overnight Coach for any kind of discressionary travel. Further, I would not consider two adults sharing any Sleeper accomodation other than a Bedroom (f/k/a Deluxe).

But that's just me, and for what it be worth, I know persons my age (65) or thereabouts who could well afford any accomodation Amtrak offers yet choose to travel Coach. What latent masochistic tendencies they possess I know not, but I'm not about to find out.

Now with that being said, let's consider a pragmatic test to determine to what extent "M/M Doug C' can survive in a Roomette. From a web resource such as Amtrak's own or at Trainweb dot com/org, determine the "footprint' dimensions of a Roomette, then stake out that area in front of a window in a normal ceiling height room. In that area, place two dining table chairs, and see how comfortable you are "living" in that area. You need not be concerned about blocking the area opposite the window as there are windows to the car's hallway and more often than not passengers seem to keep their room doors open during the day (even though you are quite free to close such).

Enjoy

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great idea for a "test run" Mr. Norman. The first time I took the LSL, I laid out the roomette dimensions & found it was approximately the size of my coffee table. Undeterred, I booked the roomette anyway, and laughed hysterically when I first saw it with the bed made up. Glad it was just me in there. I encountered 2 ladies who were in one of the bedrooms - they had shared a roomette on their trip to Chicago, but decided they were "not THAT good friends" and booked the larger bedroom for their return.
Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
after reading all the pros and cons and opinions I think it all boils down to individual taste. My husband is 6 ft and we never had any problems with the roomette. When he saw it for the first time he said there was no way we would fit but once settled in he said it was amazing how comfortable he was. We found by each of us moving over a little we could put our feet up on the opposite seat. He had no problems with the top bunk. Now if he weight 200lbs there would have been a problem. Getting dresssed worked out well with teamwork. I just stayed in my bed while he dressed and he went on to the bathroom while I dressed. We have done a lot of traveling in our married life and had some really screwy adventures so perhaps we have learned to adjust to most situations with humor. After all those are the memories. The incident free trips aren't worth talking about.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.P. Roberts
Member # 4535

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D.P. Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RRRICH:
In addition, the deluxe bedrooms have an enclosed bathroom/shower in the room, and neither of you will have to sleep on the top bunk, since the lower bunk is actually a full-sized mattress bed which will accomodate both of you.

--Rich K

I'm not sure this is correct. Although I've never been in either type of sleeping car, Amtrak's web site lists the width of the lower bed in a deluxe bedroom as 3'4" (or 40 inches wide). A normal "full size" mattress is 54 inches wide, and a "twin" mattress is 39 inches wide. So, an Amtrak lower berth is more like a twin than a full. Smaller couples might be able to sleep together on a full size mattress, but not a twin.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.P. Roberts
Member # 4535

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D.P. Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
[QUOTE]
Now with that being said, let's consider a pragmatic test to determine to what extent "M/M Doug C' can survive in a Roomette. From a web resource such as Amtrak's own or at Trainweb dot com/org, determine the "footprint' dimensions of a Roomette, then stake out that area in front of a window in a normal ceiling height room. In that area, place two dining table chairs, and see how comfortable you are "living" in that area. You need not be concerned about blocking the area opposite the window as there are windows to the car's hallway and more often than not passengers seem to keep their room doors open during the day (even though you are quite free to close such).

Enjoy

I found this exercise to be particularly useful. My wife and I have an "average" sized couch, and we measured it and found it to be almost exactly the dimensions of a roomette. We sat at either end of it, facing each other, & were able to "hang out" quite comfortably that way. Except for the fact that our feet were on the middle of the couch instead of on the floor, it was a very good way to see if we could actually live for a while in a roomette.

And let me add another two cents worth to the roomette vs. room discussion. We've had to price last-minute cross country air travel over the summer, and have often found that we could have taken an LD train w/ a roomette for about the same price as our expensive, last-minute airfares.

Of course, this will vary greatly for most people, so make sure you're making "apples to apples" comparisons when pricing roomettes vs. bedrooms.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug C
Member # 4558

Rate Member
Thanks again for all the useful info. We'll have to set out a roomette with masking tape and two chairs to see what we think. Good idea.

I plugged in fares and discovered an annoying fact. The cost of buying a ticket straight through from CHI to SEA is almost $150 less than getting off for a night at Essex Junction. And that is with moving from the roomette to coach in Minot, as someone suggested. Grrr....

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
a car attendent told me that the reason it's cheaper to go all the way is that they don't know if they will be able to sell the remaining space. Also it means another set of linens. Gosh I didn't realize sheets and towels were that expensive. I offered to bring my own but I don't think he saw the humor? in that
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
With that weird pricing, I'd do the roomette to Essex (so you can have your dinner in peace) and then do coach the rest of the way. You'd be getting on in the evening from Essex - just settle in for the night as soon as you get on (or as soon as it gets dark). You won't sleep as well as in a room, but you should be OK. See if you can get an early check-in at your Seattle hotel - crash & shower before exploring. It's an adventure!
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
D.P. -- OK I don't know if the lower bunk in the AMTRAK bedrooms are "full size" or "twin", but take my word for it -- on our vacation this summer, my wife and I slept quite comfortably both on the same bunk for 3 nights out and 3 nights back on AMTRAK. We are not "huge" people, but we aren't exactly "skinny minnies" either...
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some advice for the coach from Essex to Seattle:

A LOT of people get off and on at Whitefish. If the original coach seats you get are not to your liking, you could sweetly ask your car attendant or Conductor if you could change before people get on in Whitefish. They might say no.

If you are lucky enough to find 4 empty seats together, it is much easier to sleep with a pair of seats per person. The doors at ends of coaches and the stairway downstairs in the middle have more noise and activity than other locations. And since you won't have a sightseer lounge in the morning, you might want to be positioned relative to the windows to maximize your viewing in all directions.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page