RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Heading West

Author Topic: Heading West
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tomorrow (9/14) I leave for my trip MKE-CHI-LAX-PDX-SEA-MKE.
I'll be on 3(14), so where and on which side of the train should I look for Mr. Norman and his pooch?

I'll also be on 14(21), 506(23) and 8(24). Hope my notation is right. I promise a report when I return.

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHI_Amtrak_Fan
Member # 4004

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHI_Amtrak_Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judy,

That sounds like an amazing trip! What do you plan to do while you're in LA? Also it looks like you'll have a short overnight and morning in Portland. If you haven't tried the Cascades service (506) then you're in for a treat. I recommend you pay a little extra for the Business Class if you haven't already. They will seat you in a little bit larger seats and give you a coupon for $3 or $4 in the cafe car. The seats are more comfy and generally young kids and babies aren't in Business Class. I think the Cascades service is a model for what the midwest trains should be.

David

Posts: 39 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a great trip, Judy. Take lots of notes, mental and physical to share with us and put in your own memory book. Look forward to eading your report. When do you return?
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CHI_Amtrak_Fan:
Judy,

That sounds like an amazing trip! What do you plan to do while you're in LA? Also it looks like you'll have a short overnight and morning in Portland. If you haven't tried the Cascades service (506) then you're in for a treat. I recommend you pay a little extra for the Business Class if you haven't already. They will seat you in a little bit larger seats and give you a coupon for $3 or $4 in the cafe car. The seats are more comfy and generally young kids and babies aren't in Business Class. I think the Cascades service is a model for what the midwest trains should be.

David

I've ridden the Cascades service trains three times now. I wish that we could have the Talgo trainsets (those used for Cascades service) on every Amtrak day train currently using Amfleet or Horizon fleet cars......the Midwest corridors would be a good place to see them.....the Carolinian and Palmetto would be super.....Imagine having those BIG windows on the Adirondack. How lovely!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did indeed book a business class seat PDX-SEA - I'm hoping for daylight views of Mt Rainier which I figured I wouldn't see from train #14. Even though it seems that timekeeping has improved on 14 recently, I'm glad I decided to take advantage of an overnight in Portland to ride the Cascade trains. I'm staying at the Mark Spencer in Portland (and if we arrive in time for dinner, you'll find me at Jake's) and the Pioneer Square Hotel in Seattle (a bowl of Ivar's clam chowder is a definite must!).

In the LA area I'm visiting a former college roommate who now lives in Pasadena. My late husband and I lived there when he was a grad student at Caltech and we were newlyweds. That was back in the mid-60's. I've been back since, but not for about 20 years.

Among our scheduled activities is an overnight trip to San Diego (again via train) because friend Edie has to attend a meeting there for her work. Don't know the details of that trip, except we will be heading south on 9/19 & returning to Pasadena on 9/20. There were no local trains back in the 60's & in fact I think the site of our first apartment may be buried under the freeway that goes west from Pasadena.

I hope to take a little ride around to see some old favorite sites, including Foothill Intermediate School in LaCanada where I taught math and St Luke Hospital where our son was born. A trip up the Angeles Crest Highway might also be fun, if the smog isn't too bad.

I expect to be back in Milwaukee on 9/26.

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judy,
I am green with envy reading your planned trip.

I was in Portland, OR for 4 days in the beginning of May this year. The Mark Spencer Inn is a great hotel and my mouth is watering thinking of a meal at Jakes!!! (For those who have never been there - Jakes is a short one block walk from the Mark Spencer and has the best and freshest sea food.) One of my favorite places in Portland is The Classical Chinese Garden -- a most relaxing and beautiful place to sit - have a cup of tea - and enjoy the calming water garden.

I enjoyed the daytime trip between Seattle and Portland on the Cascades --- glad to have done that stretch in the daylight rather than late at night after dark. (Did not take business class.)
The Talgo trains used on the Cascade route are really very nice. Would love to see those on the Vermonter or the Downeaster here in the Northeast.

Do enjoy yourself !!! Be sure to post a trip report when you return.

Dee -- (who is now experiencing cravings for clam chowder).

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your trip sounds great. Enjoy yourself!

I like the Talgo but I liked those San Joaquin trains too, and they made less noise. I'd take either.

Some of the Empire Service trains got new cars recently; has anyone seen those? I don't know what they are called, but they are modern and nice EXCEPT I find the seats really uncomfortable. I would not want to sit on them for a long haul!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a great trip, Judy!!! We look forward to your report when you return!
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:
Some of the Empire Service trains got new cars recently; has anyone seen those? I don't know what they are called, but they are modern and nice EXCEPT I find the seats really uncomfortable.

Possibly, Ms. Sojourner, you are referring to the Turbos. These trains have now been withdrawn but not without a "knock down drag out" political battle.

While this forum primarily addresses Amtrak rail travel, those, such as railroad net, that address policy issues have had considerable discussion regarding the Turbo "debacle".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtabern
Member # 4306

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtabern   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard they were going to use the Talgos on the Hiawatha line between Chicago and Milwaukee, but the train sets couldn't navigate the sharp turn west the trains make right before pulling into the Milwaukee station. Don't know if that's true or not, but that's what one of the conductors was telling me.
Posts: 100 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wayne72145
Member # 4503

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wayne72145     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is very hard to beat Jake's in Portland at any time Dee----I make sure I eat there when I go up for a ball game.

Train #27 has a great view of Mt Hood but you need a nice day on 14 or 506 for Mt Raineir

Posts: 139 | From: myrtle creek oregon | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK......a little vicarious train riding here.

Judy's train (#3 of the 14th) departed Galesburg just one minute late and is expected into Kansas City on-time at 10.11pm central.

Looks like a pretty smooth trip so far BUT the Coast Starlight is going to be a bear I predict.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
10.15pm and #3(14) is slipping. Eighteen minutes late at LaPlata, MO......expected nine minutes late at Kansas City.

--------------------
David Pressley

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
arrived Kansas City 10:30 pm, 19 minutes late.
arrived Lawrence KS 12:36 am, 4 minutes late.
"As of the last report at 12:39 am at Lawrence, KS (LRC), it was running 7 minutes late."
due Topeka on time.
checked back, did not get an actual Topeka time, but did get "As of the last report at 3:08 am between Topeka, KS (TOP) and Newton, KS (NEW), it was running 21 minutes late." followed by an estimated 12 minute late arrival time in Newton.

Wow, this is close to OT.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Thank You for playing George!

As of 33 minutes ago, Judy's train departed LaJunta, CO 6 minutes late at 8:36am.

With padding the train is estimated to arrive in Albuquerque 30 minutes early. I sure wish they would do something about the station situation in Albuquerque.

So.....folks.....call Julie, go online......tracking Judy's trains is a fun, free, easy way to travel!

Maybe Chuck Rueben will drop by the Albuquerque station later today and send us a report as to the consist of Judy's train!

--------------------
David Pressley

yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DeeCT:
Judy,
I am green with envy reading your planned trip.

I was in Portland, OR for 4 days in the beginning of May this year. The Mark Spencer Inn is a great hotel and my mouth is watering thinking of a meal at Jakes!!! (For those who have never been there - Jakes is a short one block walk from the Mark Spencer and has the best and freshest sea food.) One of my favorite places in Portland is The Classical Chinese Garden -- a most relaxing and beautiful place to sit - have a cup of tea - and enjoy the calming water garden.

I enjoyed the daytime trip between Seattle and Portland on the Cascades --- glad to have done that stretch in the daylight rather than late at night after dark. (Did not take business class.)
The Talgo trains used on the Cascade route are really very nice. Would love to see those on the Vermonter or the Downeaster here in the Northeast.

Do enjoy yourself !!! Be sure to post a trip report when you return.

Dee -- (who is now experiencing cravings for clam chowder).

Jakes Grill is a great place for seafood. I believe there is a "Jakes Grill" and "Jakes Famous Crawfish" restaurant, and maybe one other one, but not sure. Also, if you are walking around downtown Portland, there is Powell's Books of W. Burnside. Also plenty of coffee pubs on nearly every corner.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
Maybe Chuck Rueben will drop by the Albuquerque station later today and send us a report as to the consist of Judy's train!

I observed Ms. McFarland's train passing 18.34 yesterday (Casey was still at the beauty parlor). It had the usual consist 3 P-42 Dorm 2 Slprs, Diner, Lounge, 3 Coach and four Express Trak cars.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Judy's train is now estimated for on-time arrival into Gallup, NM at 8:58pm MT.

How does BNSF do it when UP seemingly cannot?

--------------------
David Pressley

DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
How does BNSF do it when UP seemingly cannot?

I ride this train at least twice a year from CHI to WMJ. The one and only time it was late was weather related. BNSF appears to know how to get the job done and cares to do it. (and I am grateful when I am making connections from this train.).

Richard -- you are right there are the two (both owned by same people I was told). It is the Jakes Famous Crawfish that is a block from the Mark Spencer.(If I remember Jakes Grill is also not too far away). Powells Bookstore is a block in another direction. (A place I can lose myself in for hours.)

Dee

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Saturday morning....

Judy's train departed Barstow 34 minutes late but with the padding is estimated to arrive 43 minutes early into Los Angeles Union Station.

Must have been a pretty decent trip!

In thinking back to my past rides on the Southwest Chief, I was once (summer 2002 I think) four hours late into Chicago on #4. One other time I was forty-five minutes late into Albuquerque on #3. All other SWC trips have been no later than 15 minutes behind schedule.

BNSF's handling of the Southwest Chief and Empire Builder is really pretty admirable. That's why these are the two western long-hauls I suggest to friends who are considering their first long train trip!

--------------------
David Pressley

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
#3(13), Ms. McFarland's train, arrived LA 48 min EARLY.

Mr. Presley's well taken point of "why can the BNSF do it while the UP can't or won't?" is worthy of comment. To answer the question would require access not only to dispatch facilities but also to the inner "culture' of the organization. Even a credentialed journalist knowledgable of railroad industry affairs would find such difficult, let alone the typical railfan/rail traveler participant at a web railforum.

But as an industry observer (OK; I guess railfan even though I have not taken a rail photo in over 20 years, do not own any railfan apparel, do not have a railfan vanity tag or bumper stickers saying "I'd rather be on a train" on my auto, never held membership in any advocacy group, and do not ride trains "just to ride trains") of some 50 years standing and employed in such for eleven years, allow me a thought or two.

First, I do not think any road willfully delays an Amtrak train "just to delay it" or more sinister to get rid of it. But by the same token no road is about to structure their freight operations (remember that's 99% of the "copper in the hopper') around the needs of Amtrak.

No question whatever, the BNSF is the most stellar Amtrak operator out there; Ms. McFarland's journey is indicative of that. But I think the reason for such is that the BNSF simply has a more "fluid' railroad than does the "rogue's gallery".

"Stellar" BNSF #3-4 either operates over a double track ROW or a secondary route. Much more of the BNSF traffic is comprised of such where the shipper is "holding feet to the fire' to keep it moving. The #3-4 Southwest Chief can simply "go with the flow'. Furthermore, the Santa Fe was exemplary in maintaining their property; the BNSF merger did not result in any "waif on the doorstep'.

#7-8 Empire Builder operates over the single tracked Great Northern yet also has a "commendable' performance record. However, the North Pacific ports are simply backwaters when compared with the traffic handled through Port of LA. Maritime operators are reluctant to have only one E-W routing available (UP makes N Pacific-Midwest rates but at best is a curcuituous routing). If a competitive E-W routing (biased I know) such as there would be had the Milwaukee Road Lines West been retained, I think the N-Pacific ports would thrive and the congestion at LA would be greatly relieved.

"Average" performer Zephyr 5-6 has double track over some 1/3 rd of its route. While the route does handle coal traffic, that is mainly East of Lincoln and much is over the double track.

Now let's contrast this with the passenger rail community's 'favorite bad boy" the Union Pacific. First let us be mindful that most Amtrak operations are over the Southern Pacific and to a lesser extent, the Missouri Pacific (a "smidge" over both Katy and WP) . The "traditional UP" and the C&NW are 'Amtrak-free zones". The SP, on the eve of the merger was essentially 'bankrupt". It was however a vital link in commerce providing service to shippers who had no alternatives either with road or mode. This is the "twilight zone" into which the Amtrak "bad boys' - Sunset and Starlight must operate. I'm not sure to what extent the "traditional UP" is a "fluid" road, but with double and triple tracking CHI to Ogden and only a restriction at the Kate Shelly Bridge near Boone, IA (it is double tracked but only one train may be on the bridge at any time), in all likelihood it is.

So just a related thought or two at Ms. McFarland's topic. Time will tell if she noted me when passing 18.34.

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Mr. Norman makes an excellent point in that what has traditionally been UP's main stem.....the Overland Route......is freight only. I imagine that a passenger train operating on the route of, say, the old City of Los Angeles would probably fare better than any of the Amtrak trains using former SP lines.

I would add that CSX is as badly bottle-necked (if not worse) between Richmond, VA and Rocky Mount, NC as much of the SP lines are.

--------------------
David Pressley

Conducter1
Member # 4364

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Conducter1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman is corect on the Kate Shelly Bridge. Only one train at a time may cross. I worked that division from Boone Ia. to Fremont Ne. or Council Bluffs Ia. Also at the time I was riding the trains we had single track from Denison, Ia.to the Fremont and Council Bluffs. The Dispatcher Board was in Missouri Valley, Ia. Going to Fremont we had this as far as Calif. Jct. Ia., on into Fremont was all done by Trainorder. Just thought you all would like a little more info.

--------------------
Conducter1

Posts: 10 | From: Ames, Iowa | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page