RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Is 11-12 inches too deep for Roomette CarryOn?

Author Topic: Is 11-12 inches too deep for Roomette CarryOn?
EricC
Member # 4569

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EricC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

In a few days I am taking the LS from Boston to Chicago then the SW to Flagstaff, Az. I have a Viewliner Roomette on the LS. I have a Bedroom on the way down to Az and a Superliner Roomette on the way back, I am stopping in Galesburg, IL on the way back so I can not check my big bag and will use the rack. There will only be one person in the rooms.

Thanks to reading the posts here I realize that space in the Roomette is tight. I noticed that one person used the step for the upper berth to set a 25" Samsonite bag but did not mention the width of the step. From what I see on-line that bag is likely 8 or 9 inches deep.

I measured my bags and most are 11 or 12 inches deep. Should I find a 25x18x9 bag or will my 16x18x11 computer case work?

Thanks for the wonderful tips. I am planning on rolling the duct tape on the pencil tonight!

73 Eric

--------------------
Eric C.

Posts: 6 | From: Boston, MA Area | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric, if I were you I would check my big bag through from Boston to Flagstaff and use a small carry on on the train. I have a soft side gym bag that works well. Coming back just put your big case on the rack on the lower level and again use your carry on in the room. Enjoy the ride!!!
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your bag will fit under a Coach airline seat, it will fit under same in a Superliner or Viewliner Roomette.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beacon Hill
Member # 4431

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beacon Hill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a Superliner roomette, during the day, you will have plenty of room for yourself and the bag. Just be sure that the bag isn't under your seat when the roomette is made up for sleeping, it can be difficult to get a bag out from under the bed at night. There is a gap of about 12" (maybe) between the roomette's door and the bed where you can store a bag during the night. Putting your bag in that area will also help to block the light that leaks in from the hallway.
Posts: 78 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricC
Member # 4569

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for EricC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

Well maybe I am worrying too much. I do not want my bags to cause problems for the attendant making up the room.

When I fly I check my bags and have a small carry on bag. When I drive I take too much stuff because I can. [Smile]

I could take three bags, one big one to check, a small bag with two changes of clothes and toys, and a small laptop bag with my laptop and more toys.

73 Eric

--------------------
Eric C.

Posts: 6 | From: Boston, MA Area | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric, you are referring to my picture. My 25" bag is a solid 12" deep, so your bag should be OK.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricC
Member # 4569

Rate Member
Hello,

Yes it is the picture. Thanks.

I am off!!! I am typing this as train 449 is leaving South Station. I am using EVDO and hope to get some internet access on the trip.

73 Eric

--------------------
Eric C.

EricC
Member # 4569

Rate Member
Hello,

Departing Buffalo and almost ready to get some sleep.

The space on the Viewliner is not bad. Some interesting space saving designs like the sink drain.

It is a good thing I checked my big bag as the space over the corridor will fit my carry-on bag and computer bag but I doubt I could get my big hard shell suitcase up there. The opening looks alittle under three feet across.

I assume the person in the top bunk has to step up on the toliet cover and then the sink ledge.

Is there a good time range to ask the car attendant to change over the room at night? I waited until 10:30 to press the attendant button. I waited 35 minutes and had to seek out another crew member to get the bed made up. Likewise in the morning?

--------------------
Eric C.

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My only experience is in Superliners, but generally changing the room happens when they have time for it. These are, after all, government employees who have a reputation to live up to. Some attendants are more diligent than others.

I often find my room changed after I have left it for a meal, without my asking. Some people have also figured out how to do it themselves. 10:30 is kind of late to leave you without a bed.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of roomettes. I am about to depart on the Coast Starlight and have yet another question. Does the roomette lock? If not, I presume one's basis belongings are safe and valuable things or important documents should be kept on one's person.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4508

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1702     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HopefulRailUser:
Speaking of roomettes. I am about to depart on the Coast Starlight and have yet another question. Does the roomette lock? If not, I presume one's basis belongings are safe and valuable things or important documents should be kept on one's person.

Your room locks from the inside only, so when you leave just draw your curtains & close the door.
Posts: 73 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vickie, we always lock important things in out carry ons and draw the curtain, leave the lights on and close the door.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Rocket is right. 10:30 is rather late. I have found that most attendents,unless very lucky, have to get up on and off during the night for station stops. So they tend to sack out early. I'd check it out if I didn't hear from him by 9. You can always read in bed or go down to the lounge. Also he may have thought you were one who makes up his own bed.
EricC
Member # 4569

Rate Member
Hello,

I made sure to ask to change the room over when I went to breakfast. I know now not to leave the bed changeover until late. Slept reasonably well although something started beeping in my carryon after I settled down. It was a alarm clock. There were some rough spots and jolts. The train was alittle over 2 hours late into Chicago. I got to walk around abit and go over near Grant Park. I am now in a Bedroom on the SC somewhere west of Chicago. Alot more space.

In the Viewliner Roomette I stowed my luggage up over the corridor when I went to meals, etc. It keeps it out of sight. I would also close the curtains and the door.

73 Eric

--------------------
Eric C.

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I am so envious I am checking your weather for the scenic part of your trip. Did you look for Mr. Norman and his *(canine)*? Your on-time (as usual) Southwest Chief will allow you to spend some time outside in a windy and 55 degree Kansas City. Union Station is beautiful inside. Then if you are done with breakfast you can enjoy the fresh crisp 40 degree air of La Junta. Always reliable Albuquerque will be sunny and 65.

From Newton to Belen there will almost no freights roaring by since the main route (Transcon) goes further south. I recommend the observation lounge between Las Vegas and Lamy, as it gets quite scenic, especially the very narrow Apache Canyon just before Lamy.

So, what are your plans at Flagstaff?

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricC
Member # 4569

Rate Member
Hello,

Sorry for not wrapping this up. I have been back home for over a week and the trip turned out good. Thanks again for the advice.

The Bedroom on the SC was good even if it was the "A" one with the different floor plan. I got some good ice cream in Albuquerque at the Cold Stone Creamery.

I ran into a problem at Flagstaff due to the rental car company not meeting the train. The train was two hours late. I was confused by note 69 on the schedule thinking that the train arrived and left one hour earlier. It is a good thing I booked a room in Flagstaff beforehand instead of traveling more that day. I got picked up at the hotel by the rental company the next day. Reflecting on the situation, I should have planned on taking a cab to the hotel and started the car rental the next day.

Arizona is nice but most of it is dry. Nobody had to tell me to drink water. Flagstaff had nice temperatures. I got to drive the pre-1952 alignment of Route 66 from west of Flagstaff to Oatman, saw the Grand Canyon, etc.

I decided not to take the Grand Canyon RR as the schedule was limited. I found out that they do not run Steam in the off-season so I was not as disappointed. While in Williams I did listen to their radio frequencies.

I had a Roomette on the way back to Galesburg, IL. I put my hard suitcase in the luggage rack and I had no problem with my other bags in the roomette. The step works good. I notice that the Superliner Roomette has only one power outlet and the Viewliner Roomette and Superliner Bedroom has two. It is a good thing I packed a small power strip.

I spent two days in Macomb, IL with friends and did the "Lincoln Tour" in Springfield. I have to revisit Springfield as the Great Western Depot was closed for the season and I ran out of time to visit some other places.

I booked coach on the CZ to Chicago because the SC was full on that day. However due to UP track work the CZ was running 6 to 7 hours late. The agent said to use the SC so Amtrak must have added space. When I got home I had a message from Amtrak about using the SC instead of the CZ on my answering machine. Hum, maybe next time I should give them my cell phone as the contact number.

I was able to get a Chicago hot *** while in Chicago and ride the EL to do it. I forgot to check my hard suitcase in Chicago so I had to put it in the Viewliner Roomette on the LS. It only turned out to be a minor annoyance. I put the suitcase on the shelf below the coat hangers. Some people commented at breakfast that they could not sleep but I slept fine. I guess I got use to the motion. I did notice some sections of track on my trip were a bad ride, like parts of Missouri.

The train between Albany and Boston did not have power outlets at every seat unlike the one I took outbound.

Another minor annoyance (not Amtrak's fault) is the cellular black holes on the route. It is interesting to have cellular coverage in some of the "remote parts" and no cellular coverage in some of the populated parts. Cellular and EVDO coverage was spotty at times.

So having a separate smaller bag for on-train items worked out great and I will use it on my future train trips.

73 Eric

--------------------
Eric C.

abefroman329
Member # 3986

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for abefroman329     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EricC:
I assume the person in the top bunk has to step up on the toliet cover and then the sink ledge.

That's how I did it last fall. Hopefully there wasn't a ladder I wasn't aware of...
Posts: 76 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20thCenturyLimited
Member # 1108

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20thCenturyLimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by abefroman329:
quote:
Originally posted by EricC:

That's how I did it last fall. Hopefully there wasn't a ladder I wasn't aware of...
You didn't actually stop on the sink while it was *down* did you?
Posts: 134 | From: New York, New York USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page