RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » New Route to St. Louis

Author Topic: New Route to St. Louis
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While flipping through channels, I caught the end of a news report that was showing a few Amtrak trains while the news anchor said "service will include: St. Louis, Carbondale, IL and Quincy, IL."

Is Amtrak adding a new train in the St. Louis area? I thought there was some chance that with the new intermodal transportation center being built in STL, that there may be a new train coming through STL.

Edit: The new route that I had originally heard was being discussed would run from STL to Springfield, MO. I hadn't heard anything about a train to Carbondale or Quincy.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The state of Illinois has significantly increased funding for intra-state rail passenger service in the coming fiscal year.

I believe the plan calls for an additional frequency on the existing routes to Carbondale, St. Louis, and Quincy. This would be three new trains....one each on those three routes....rather than one new train linking Carbondale, St. Louis, and Quincy.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Information I ahve seen is the same as notelvis. Additional trains on existing routes.

As to St. Louis to Springfield MO: Don't hold your breath. It may be quite a time getting here, and when it does, without major work, it will not be fast. This is the old Frisco main line, which has CTC and is relatively uncrowded with trains east of Springfield MO, but is also fairly curvey. It's last scheduled passenger train ended in 1967 or maybe a year earlier. The last Frisco passenger train of all ended in December of 1967, Kansas City to Birmingham, approximately on the Sunnyland's schedule, but I beleive a different name and using streamlined equipment after the death of the Kansas City Florida Special.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Might that have been Springfield IL, the state capital, rather than Springfield MO? That makes somewhat more sense, I think.

If there was rail service to SW MO it seems to me it would wisely include Branson, a very popular toiurist spot which is due south of Springfield MO quite a few miles. Almost to Arkansas. Then it might as well connect to the train that runs from TX to Chicago thru Arkansas (is that the Texas Eagle?).

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, that is Springfield, Missouri. I thought the same thing about Branson, but it could be that BNSF would have a quite different thought on trains west of Springfield.

There was a MoDOT press release and map a couple of months back on this. They can be found at:
Press release:
www.modot.org/newsandinfo/District0News.shtml?action=displaySSI&newsId=4006

Map:
www.modot.org/newsroom/documents/rail_pass_cur_prop_060106.pdf

The essence of the June 14, 2006 press release is:

The department, along with Amtrak, is exploring the possibility of one round trip daily between the two cities, with stops along the way in Lebanon, Rolla, Sullivan and Kirkwood.

"This part of the state hasn't seen passenger rail in 40 years," said MoDOT Multimodal Operations Director Brian Weiler."The rail lines along this corridor are in good shape and aren't too congested, so riders can expect a smooth ride and on-time service. From St. Louis, rail connections are available to the rest of the country, so this would be a great opportunity for travelers in southwest Missouri to see the country by rail."

MoDOT currently supports Amtrak service between St. Louis and Kansas City.

Conditions may be right for an expansion in service, Weiler said. "Population and travel is way up in the Springfield/Branson area, and Fort Leonard Wood is very busy as well. And with highways becoming more congested and fuel costs going up, more people than ever are looking for other ways to travel."

There are many details to be worked out, Weiler emphasized, including available funding, stations and crossings in the affected cities, and availability of Amtrak equipment.The possible expansion would be at least a year or two away.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome back, Uncle Buck!! We haven't heard from you for a while, and I was thinking about you while reading another current Rail Forum thread called "Ann Rutledge/KC" -- a train from St. Louis to Springfield and Branson would be good, I think. Is there any talk of reinstating the St. Louis-Carbondale link which was run several years ago as the "River Cities?"
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtabern
Member # 4306

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtabern   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently talked with a friend of mine who's a conductor for Amtrak. There are no plans at this time for a St.Louis-Springfield, MO train or anything from St. Louis-Carbondale.

There will be a series of new trains added on exhisting routes October 30, 2006.

They include and extra round-trip from Chicago to West Quincy, an extra round-trip from Chicago to Carbondale, and 3 more trains running a day from Chicago to Saint Louis (with ONLY the Ann Rutledge continuing on to Kansas City, MO).

This is awesome news for us Chicago "rail fans".
There will FINALLY be morning departures out of Chicago going to Carbondale and Quincy -- MEANING that if one wants to go for a day train-ride, you can now go from Chicago-Quincy (and back to Chicago) or Chicago-Carbondale (and back to Chicago) in the same day using the long-distance trains even. Currently, a "day trip" is really only possible down to like Lincoln and back (303 down and 22 back).

Hope that clears all that up.

Posts: 100 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there ever going to be a way I can get to Galena IL by train, or train and bus? I hear it is a very pretty town.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner: www.burlingtontrailways.com
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms Sojourner, if you can get yourself out here, there is a one day trip offered on Sunday October 8 to Galena:

http://www.20thcentury.org

20th Century is a well funded and highly reputable group (I won't blankletly say that about EVERY tour operator out there) and if they take your $$$ for a trip, they either will run the trip or give 'em back.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would love to take the tour, but no way can I get out this quickly. I'll keep their website for future reference, though--thanks.

TwinStarRocket--I couldn't find Galena when I looked at Burlington Trailways stops.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Ms Sojourner, if you can get yourself out here, there is a one day trip offered on Sunday October 8 to Galena:

http://www.20thcentury.org

20th Century is a well funded and highly reputable group (I won't blankletly say that about EVERY tour operator out there) and if they take your $$$ for a trip, they either will run the trip or give 'em back.

Interesting trips for certain. I too will keep their website handy in the hopes that there will be something I can use in 2007.

Sojourner, Galena is a worthy destination and there is a Grassroots organization lobbying for a return of Amtrak service from Chicago to Dubuque, IA. This train would serve Rockford and Galena if it ever comes back.

Here is a link:web page

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all for the info and RRRich, it's good to be back.

I too had heard that a route from STL to Springfield, MO wasn't too likely to come together, but there had been talk, so I was just wondering.
I think a route to Branson and Missouri State University would be pretty convienent for St. Louisans.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner, I found Galena in the left drop-down menu under "From:", listed alphabetically before Galesburg. It never shows up in the "To:" list. I was able to display a round trip schedule to Burlington (an Amtrak stop) from Galena. You must be able to get there somehow if they stop there. You might have to call them to find out how.

I discovered Burlington Trailways because they had a very nice agent in the Ottumwa, IA Amtrak station when I caught the CZ there. She gave me some timetables and told me they stop at many Amtrak stations in the Midwest. I have never been on one of their busses, but I am always partial to small family owned businesses that give you friendly service.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page