RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Salt Lake City visit

Author Topic: Salt Lake City visit
AHALL
Member # 3515

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AHALL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in Salt Lake City last week for a Conference, and ate dinner in the Rio Grande Train Station. The Mexican restaurant is located to the right of the waiting room, which has displays from the Historical Society.

I walked to the Union Pacific Station from the Salt Palace Convention Center. That beautifully restored station serves as the entrance to Gateway, a shopping complex across the street from the Delta Center. The high ceiling of the waiting room sports stained glass windows, and a vaulted ceiling. People passed through the space, apparently unaware of the building's former purpose and stunning architecture.

Of course, all tracks to both stations are gone and Amtrak stops 3 blocks west in a warehouse area in a building that seems to be portable trailers put together.

I flew to Salt Lake City due to time restraints, but from the hotel shuttle on the way to the airport I could see the CZ sitting at the station at 8:45 am Saturday morning, but couldn't tell if it was the eastbound (that would be 5 hours late) or the westbound (that would be 9 hours late).

While in Salt Lake last week, the LDS Church announced plans to demolish nearly all of 2 city blocks south of the Temple where the Crossroads Mall and ZCMI Mall are located for a new shopping complex to be called City Creek Mall if I remember correctly.

And, for anyone complaining about food on a train, try Delta's "snack pack" while my 6' 3" frame is squeezed into a seat for 4 hours. I purchased a deli sandwich for the return trip while others 'stared' at my real food.

Posts: 76 | From: Steubenville, OH | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting that you mention the plan to demolish all two city blocks south of Temple Square. This project is getting an awful lot of buzz on an email group I belong to....one comprised mostly of former Trailways bus drivers and other bus afficionados. Apparantly one of the structures to be demolished is now a hotel but was for many years the Continental Trailways bus terminal in Salt Lake City. The drivers are bemoaning the loss of what was once a very clean and attractive passenger facility. One of the guys even reports having met his wife who, at the time, was a waitress in the station restaurant there.

Personally, I would like to see more classic bus stations preserved as well. As for the rail station situation in Salt Lake City, I think it is a real shame that Amtrak is relegated to a doublewide trailer in the warehouse district when there are two perfectly good train stations just a few blocks away. In 2002 I flew to Salt Lake City and caught an on-time California Zephyr westbound shortly after midnight. I still remember being deposited from a warm cab at the door of the dark Amtrailer on a chilly April night about 9:00pm. The agent wasn't due for another 90 minutes and I can recall standing there with my teeth chattering while looking at the ediface of the former DRG&W station a few blocks away. Brrrrrr.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the UP herald still intact on "the station"?
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UP herald was intact as of 12/05. The station was completely empty, but in good shape and well maintained. I suspect they use it for special events.
Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page