RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » emergency FL sleepette question

Author Topic: emergency FL sleepette question
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! I'm between 2 short fall trips with just a day to book my FL winter one and cannot remember: Heading south to Florida, which sleeperette is more likely the left side facing forward (ocean side)--#3 or #4? Thanks for the info

I will post on my Cardinal/Indianapolis trip as soon as I have a chance--it was very nice!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms. Sojourner, based on my experiences of likely traveling the route at least fifty times in this life, the ONLY scenery of any interest whatever on the Atlantic Coast routes is a view traveling SB of Jefferson Memorial on the Engineer's side. Also there are pleasant land and water vistas on the RF&P mainly on Fireman's side as well as impressive river X-ings at Qcoquan and the Rapphannock somewhat N of Fredericksburg where either side is fine.

But after viewing Mr. Presley's alma mater, Randolph Macon on the Fireman's side when passing through Ashland, the route (SAL #91 or ACL for #97) is absolutely positively a scenic ZERO which I describe as "if you've seen one Pine Tree, you've seen 'em all".

The notion of following the coast in much the same manner as the Surfliners and Coast Starlight existed only in the minds of Henry Flagler's propagandists.

I'm always astounded why any railroad, be it Seaboard, Auto Train, or Amtrak ever spent a dime on sightseeing equipment for that route. Fortunately, Amtrak wised up and reassigned Sightseer Lounges away from the Auto Train. ACL and FEC were also wise; they never joined that party.

OK, I'll make one exception when in Florida. Passing through Winter Park on the Fireman's side, you can literally "smell the $$$$' even on the train. It is also where Rollins College, which is where wealthy NE families prepared to pay Ivy League prices send their progenies that were more interested in party zones than study halls during their secondary education, is located. While they are "down' vising Junior, Mom and Dad can check up on their seven and eight figure portfolios at any of the New York financial institutions that maintain Private Client offices - all visble when the train makes its station stop.

Best advice for traveling Northeast to Fla; bring plenty of good reading material; you really will have little reason to leave your Roomette save for chow.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Sojourner,

I have no idea of what is 'likely' for one roomette as opposed to the other on the Silver Service trains these days. I've not traveled in a Viewliner sleeper since a Thanksgiving trip Fayetteville, NC - Winter Haven, FL on the Silver Palm shortly before they pulled the sleeper off that train and renamed it the Palmetto. (Fall of 2000 or 2001 I believe.)

I am going to be on #92 from the Wealthy Zone (Winter Park where my in-laws live on the 'other' side of the tracks in Casselberry) to DC on October 28 and will report my findings then.....but that is a bit late to help you.

Finally, I agree with much of Mr. Norman's post above with only one correction.....it was someone else that once posted here who is an alumnus of Randolph-Macon. I am merely an advocate of the Henry Clay Inn. It's a nice place to spend a night or two and the campus of Randolph-Macon a nice place to visit while watching trains. It's a safe environment where I have never encountered a thug or any law enforcement officer determined to curb the threat posed by railroad photography!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20thCenturyLimited
Member # 1108

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20thCenturyLimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:
Hi! I'm between 2 short fall trips with just a day to book my FL winter one and cannot remember: Heading south to Florida, which sleeperette is more likely the left side facing forward (ocean side)--#3 or #4? Thanks for the info

I will post on my Cardinal/Indianapolis trip as soon as I have a chance--it was very nice!

Number 4. Heading south the even numbered roomettes are on the coast side of the train while the odd numbers are on the inland side. Heading north, it is the opposite.
Posts: 134 | From: New York, New York USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20thCenturyLimited
Member # 1108

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20thCenturyLimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
shortly before they pulled the sleeper off that train and renamed it the Palmetto. (Fall of 2000 or 2001 I believe.)

I rode the SILVER PALM in November of 2001. It was not pulled until after that time.
Posts: 134 | From: New York, New York USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 20thCenturyLimited:
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
shortly before they pulled the sleeper off that train and renamed it the Palmetto. (Fall of 2000 or 2001 I believe.)

I rode the SILVER PALM in November of 2001. It was not pulled until after that time.
Thanks Century,
That would be correct. My trip was at Thanksgiving but I could not rememember which year. With your reminder it would have been 2001.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David

Since I am the resident Randolph-Macon alumnus, I wanted to let you know I will be going up on the Palmetto next weekend for Homecoming activites. Since I am joining my old frat buddies (w/o wives), I'll probably be a bit fuzzy Sunday morning when I return on the Palmetto (10/29). In any event I will be doing the Richmond shuffle from the Ashland train to the Palmetto so perhaps I'll see you if the Star is in the station between 9:30 and Noon. I'll be the one with the red eyes.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
David

Since I am the resident Randolph-Macon alumnus, I wanted to let you know I will be going up on the Palmetto next weekend for Homecoming activites. Since I am joining my old frat buddies (w/o wives), I'll probably be a bit fuzzy Sunday morning when I return on the Palmetto (10/29). In any event I will be doing the Richmond shuffle from the Ashland train to the Palmetto so perhaps I'll see you if the Star is in the station between 9:30 and Noon. I'll be the one with the red eyes.

I'll keep an eye out for you then. I must admit that I prefer riding through to laying over in the Richmond train station though......that place has all the ambiance of.....well....I'm not sure.

Don't you wish that the Palmetto and Carolinian stopped in Ashland also?

--------------------
David Pressley

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your are so right about the Richmond station. I wish Virginia would go ahead and rebuild the old Seaboard line to Petersburg so Main St. would be the station where corrections were made.

I know they are talking about building a coach yard and an NS connection on the southside for the Trans Dominion project. If they do that, I don't see why they can't upgrade the line used for CSX local freights that ties back into the old ACL main at Centralia north of Petersburg.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I don't see why they can't upgrade the line used for CSX local freights that ties back into the old ACL main at Centralia north of Petersburg.

About $10 million if I recall correctly.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by George Harris:
quote:
I don't see why they can't upgrade the line used for CSX local freights that ties back into the old ACL main at Centralia north of Petersburg.

About $10 million if I recall correctly.
That would be 10 million reasons why not I suppose.

--------------------
David Pressley

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page