RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » New Capitol Departure Time--Eastbound

Author Topic: New Capitol Departure Time--Eastbound
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so happy Amtrak has decided to move the departure time for the Capitol Limited (Eastbound) to about two hours later in the day.

As some of you know who follow this forum closely, I have always thought it was a HUGE mistake to move it up to 5:00 PM in the first place----and I understand why this was done in the first place, which was to make connections to #92 and #97 (and other southern trains) more likely. BUT, this made connections TO the Eastbound Capitol almost impossible from ANY of the arriving Western trains---the Chief, Zephyr and Builder especially.

Passengers from at least three Western trains routinely missed connections to the Capitol and were inconvenoenced----as compared to passengers from only ONE train who might miss connections Southbound at DC. Where is the common sense in that ?

Something "told" me that the Capitol's Eastbound departure time from Chicago would be changed to its later (original) time.

Personally I like the later departure time better because it also makes possible a more reasonable arrival time into the Pittsburgh area where I live. A 4:00 am arrival into town ? ----YIKES !! A 6:00 am arrival time is so much better for me.

Thank goodness I can AGAIN plan on connecting to the Capitol from the west instead of flying back to Pittsburgh next day. I would much rather take the train.

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But here is the "downside" regarding Chicago-Florida trips:

http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/11/4240.html

It appears that parallel discussion is developing here. At this unmoderated forum, the burden is on "US', the users, to ensure it moves forth at one thread.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chaslett
Member # 1012

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chaslett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. I like the later time as I ride the Zephyr many times a year. I had to book Chi to Clev on the LSL to make sure I would make the connection. (Sometimes that didn't work!!)

Since I don't fly, I take whatever train I can get on!!

Posts: 54 | From: Chagrin Falls, OH, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page