RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Flags of our Fathers: A Train Story

Author Topic: Flags of our Fathers: A Train Story
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw Clint Eastwoods Movie "Flags of our Father." The Movie was very good, its not "Saving Pvt Ryan" (it did not try to be) Interesting how movies are both made and viewed during War.

For Train lovers, the movie has many "images" of some mint condition period locomotive and pullman cars. I say "images" because I'm not sure if these are actual restored trains or if they these are computerized magic. They look real to me but....

Chicago's Union Station looks magnificent as well as some scenes of some small stone stations. Interesting sidebar, in a scene after the war ended, the medic comes home from the Hospital, he arrives in a Greyhound bus, the Bus depot is a stone structure that looks like it should be a train station but a freshly painted Greyhound Bus sign hung above the main entrance.

PS the scenes in the ballpark is suppose to be Washington DC's Griffith Stadium (Yankees v Washington Senators) looks a little to much like Wrigley Field with its modern lights.

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Tanner,

I saw that movie Sunday afternoon at Washington Union Station.

The equipment you saw.....the diesels anyway....are part of the collection at the Illinois Railway Museum in McHenry, IL. I was just there in August. The silver one was a Burlington E-5 and the Brunswick Green/Cream one was an F-9 cab and booster unit last regularly used to power Burlington Northern Business trains.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtabern
Member # 4306

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtabern   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was there last October (2005) when they were filming the scenes at Chicago Union Station. I was down in Chicago (from Milwaukee) on a Saturday and they had the whole Great Hall blocked off. They normally do that on occasion for special events. Then all these lighting guys and extras in 1940's clothings came around the corner and into the hall. It was pretty cool!
I, and maybe 10-20 other stood at the glass sliding doors by the Metra ticket windows watching them film the movie. We even got a glimpse of Clint Eastwood, he was sitting by that restaurant that was to the right if you walk in that way (with the gift shop/newstand to your left). Anyhow, it was just really cool watching it!

And yes, the train used is at the Illinois Railroad Museum in Union, IL where I am a member. The locomotice is from their Nebraska Zephyr train, and the cars used (at least one of them) is actually an old Slumbercoach. They let us ride that train on Members' Day at the museum back in September. It was awesome! I would recommend a visit.

I haven't seen the movie yet though (it's been a busy month) but look forward to catching it soon!

Posts: 100 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Mr. Tabern, I was passing, quite coincidentially, through CUS during Oct 2005 when the rail scenes were being filmed.

A 24 year old girl in our party is positive she saw Clint Eastwood, but who am I to say. She is a 'bit more into those things' than I.

The most blaring inacuracy I noted was the CB&Q Slumbercoach in the consist. The movie was set during 1945. That car was delivered during 1956.

But "that's Hollywood'.

The suburban homecoming scenes apparently were filmed in Glencoe along the C&NW North Line.

Sorry to learn the flick has been a box office disappointment, it just seems like anything Clint Eastwood touches nowadays as either an actor or director has quality written all over it. Although this flick is likely an "Oscar Contender", folks my age must have difficulty erasing the memories of his "Dirty Harry", "Shockley", 'Make my Day" genre. I know I do.

But of course along with others here, I am also mindful that two other Oscar contending film directors out there, namely Mike Nichols and Ron Howard got their entertainment 'starts' in the comedy genre.

I await its on-Demand PPV release, as I simply "don't go to theatres".

At another Forum, here is material relating to other rail related "Hollywood accuracy".

NHRHTA

New York Times Review

Burying Private Ryan

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiking2
Member # 2239

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiking2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lounge car that they used is owned by overland trails and next month i am going to be riding on it from LA to San Deiago in Dec This is a ride that will be saluting Dec 7th vets.

Alan

Posts: 27 | From: Cleveland | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have certainly convinced me to see this film.

I watched one of the new Miss Marples--IMO they aren't very good compared to the ones with Joan Hickson done some years back--but I always like 4.50 from Paddington because of the train part and that part still appealed to me. The photography seemed a bit cheaply done but I still enjoyed the way the two trains traveled along side by side.

Nevertheless, as with the rest of this peculiar remake that should never have been made (see the Joan Hickson ones instead!, unnecessary changes were made, including with the details about the train map etc etc.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtabern
Member # 4306

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtabern   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I might have run into Mr. Norman and not have realized it! Hmmm...

Anyhow, as far as the 50's train in a 40's movie, my understanding is the Illinois Railway Museum was going to let their whole Nebraska Zephyr consist (engine, diner, coaches, lounge) be used for the movie. But an accident happened at the museum a month before the movie that damaged that consist -- and so they have to use what they had (the Slumbercoach, etc.)

Posts: 100 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Mr. Norman says ----

Mr. Tabern - -

I really am impressed by how much stuff the Illinois Railway Museum has on hand. What I would love to see (and I know that with volunteer organizations there is always that balance between what we would love and what we can do) is some sort of outdoor display area where you could walk around the equipment and stand back for a good look on all four sides. Rotate the stuff in and out of the barns periodically. It would be great.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all for the insights and in person highlights. I'm glad they tried to be accurate with the equiptment but accidents happen with antiques. I have a question about Union Station (CHI). On the north side of the Hall there are three archways that, when I was there, blocked of with black boards. Question is, what is behind the arches? Is that area closed, had there been platforms there? an old baggage or frieght room? any thoughts??
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be the Adams St entrance, or how I got to my office when I was with the MILW.

Possibly the so-called-nowadays "Great Hall' was being prepared for a special event, but to my best knowledge that walkway is still open,

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mpaulshore
Member # 3785

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mpaulshore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. "Norman":

I am "glad" to hear that you had the chance to "witness" the filming of "Flags of Our Fathers" in Chicago's "Union Station" in "October" of 2005. It's not often that someone has the chance to "see" such an interesting "event", "coincidentially" or not.

Regarding that "24" year old girl's spotting of Mr. "Eastwood", I have little "doubt" that she was correct, as Mr. "Eastwood" is not hard to "recognize", seeing as he is, "how shall we say it", looking quite "old" these days.

"I" fully concur with you concerning the "inaccuracy of using" a "Slumbercoach" for a "movie" set in 1945. It's a shame that "the" Illinois Railway Museum couldn't have done more to "avert" this inaccuracy, notwithstanding the accident "that allegedly" led to the equipment "shortage that" produced it.

S"orry" to "hear" that you have trouble forgetting about Mr. "Eastwood"'s "erstwhile" tough-guy persona; bu"t", seeing as he "doesn't" even appear on s"creen during t"he movie, I can"'"t im"agi"ne that that woul"d" really be mu"c"h of an impediment to "you"r enjo"y"ment"."

"I" find it r"egrettable" to hear "that" you "'don't go to theatres'". As far as I"'"m concer"ned", "seeing a" m"ovie" "on" te""levision, rat""""her than i"n a" good thea"""t"""e"r" in the "prop"er a"spe"""ct rati"o" a""""n""""d wit"h fu"ll-bodied multi"c"h""""a""""nnel digital sound", "is "vulga""""rian"is""""""""m"""""""" of the most "e""x""e""c""r""a""b""l""e" ki""""""""""""n"d".

Posts: 86 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Paulshore--

I think $35 or so dropped at your friendly office supply retailer for a new keyboard would be $$$ well spent.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page