RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Julie Automated System

Author Topic: Julie Automated System
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love calling the Julie System Train Status line. I do this a couple of times a day. I love being able to get the Train Status. I love how Julie says"The latest report for train 11 was at 10:20 AM when it was between San Jose Train Station and Salinas the estimated time of arrival into LA is at 9:20 PM.

I also love how Julie says"I have a service announcement Due to Traffic and Frieght Congestion over the route Train 14 travels over may cause delys between 6 and 8 hours through December 2006. Please Call Amtrak on the Day of Travel for a report. Then she says Ok Where were we.

Another funny quirk sometime ago was instead of JUlie saying Saturday she would say Sensday.

I also like it when Julie says The lates report for Train 3 was out of Albuquerque New Mexico where it arrived at 12:00 PM etc.

Anyone else here love the system.

I wonder how can you setup the same text to speech software for your home. Does Julie record each and every command which I highly doubt since there is so much she can say. Is this sy stem like Simpletext on Mac OS where I can type something and it says it?

Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20thCenturyLimited
Member # 1108

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20thCenturyLimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't answer your question as to the inner workings of the JULIE reservation system, but giving that you are saying your'e still using Simpletext, it sounds to me like you are still using the Classic Mac OS, which is a dead OS. You may want to think about upgrading to OS X.
Posts: 134 | From: New York, New York USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes when I call for train status I swear Julie says,

"Hold on. I'll try to find your train."

Like it's lost or temporarily misplaced......like between Rocky Mount and Petersburg on CSX or something.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I frequently check the on-line "Julie" to note how late the CS trains #11 and $14 are, into San Jose, just for fun. I know this subject has been posted, before, but I am bothered when they say, for example, "Train #14 has just arrived in Salinas, 1.5 hours late, but it is expected to make up time, and arrive on time into San Jose" . I always figure if it is 1.5 hrs late into Salinas, it will be about 1.5 hrs into San Jose (or more). The times I have actually taken #14 headed north, I have never missed my train by this method.

A while back, a friend e-mailed me a web site for tracking commercial airlines. For any flight number, you could track the flight across a state or across the country. The site would have a graphic depiction of the airliner moving slowly, across the screen, with towns, cities, landmarks below so you could tell exactly where the aircraft was at any time. I think it would be interesting if Amtrak could do the same, on their web site. It would be fun to track #14, especially in the summertime, with all the UP delays.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trainut
Member # 4052

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trainut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Yukon11,
Would you still have that web site for the tracking of commercial airlines. If so would you post it. It would be fun to "play" around with it.
Also tracking Amtrak trains that way would be very cool. But I wonder who would would pay for it?
Thanks in advance.
Trainut

Posts: 39 | From: Saint Croix Falls | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trainut: I'm afraid that I no longer have the web site for the tracking of commercial airlines. However, I will e-mail my friend who originally sent it to me (it's been at least a year since I got the info, so hope he still knows the address of the site). If he can recall, I will post the info. on the site as soon as I get it.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To track commercial flights:

http://www.aeroseek.com/webtrax/

And if you get bored and you want to find out who owns the plane:

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vicki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
Sometimes when I call for train status I swear Julie says,

"Hold on. I'll try to find your train."

That's exactly what she says!
Posts: 149 | From: Joliet, IL USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page