RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Beech Grove Tour -- Very Interesting!

Author Topic: Beech Grove Tour -- Very Interesting!
rtabern
Member # 4306

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtabern   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was able to make it down to Beech Grove last weekend for Amtrak's "open house". Some photos and my blog are on my website:

www.rtabern.com
(enter the username/password it gives you... then click on the travels link at the top of the page)

The most interesting things I saw were a stripped-down Pacific Parlor car. Plus, I was the only one of everyone to tour the facility that weekend to see them working on (and photograph the inside of) the new combined diner/lounge that is generating so much buzz.

Posts: 100 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am getting "Sorry, this GeoCities site is currently unavailable."
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, Robert, it's opening for me but not giving me a username/password to use. I'd really like to see this. Sounds like a great trip.

Frank in Sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Worked this time [Smile] . The username and password was on the right side of the page for me.

Great pics! Especially the photos of the interior Diner/Lounge interior. I think they are the first on the net! The design definitely looks nice, however it is not the same as a dining car. The food pick-up part of the car looks a bit like the Acela cafe.

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The diner/lounge seating is all wrong! If you look closely, it has a table booth facing the window on one side of the aisle, while across the aisle the booth faces the aisle. Then they alternate sides, on down the aisle. Thus the inward facing tables always look at other people's backs!

Inward facing booths should face inward facing booths, and vice versa.

I will give them credit for the overall look, which is reminiscent of the streamliner era, especially the lighting and bar.

That stripped down Parlour Car may be the catalyst for rumors I heard on the train that parlour cars were being stripped by employees for souvenirs.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robert - the "password" they give me is obliterated by another line of text right on top of it, so I couldn't read the password.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great report - Thanks.

I particularly liked the picture of you with all the 'big wheels' at Beech Grove!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lest we note,Mr. Toy, the configuration reported for the Diner Lounge car (by Mr.Tabern and also at another forum) appears to resemble that which was used in some "Capstone" Amfleet Cafe rebuilds.

For all anyone knows, they salvaged the tables and seating from those cars; they have reportedly been withdrawn as part of the A-I stored equipment.

Incidentially, another forum reports that one of the cars has been released and is now en route to CHI. The same forum reports the cars will be numbered #37XXX.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dcfan
Member # 2311

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for dcfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are the semi-circle seats shown in rtabern's photos for the lounge side, or are they also used in the dining section?

Wesley

Posts: 73 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, it didn't work for me either - I'm using Firefox. However, if I downgrade to Internet Explorer then the username/password comes up right underneath the login button.

I can't say I like the new diner section. It looks very claustrophobic! I guess we'll find out soon how well it works out.

Thanks for the photos and report.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Safari doesn't like the page, either. The password is obliterated by the login box. I'd really like to see this.

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robert--

I've been able to get into the website using the username and password but get a "double" image on the screen. No right hand margin for scrolling.

Frank in warm SBA

PS. That's using Safari. I'll try another browser later.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page