RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » SLEEPER UPGRADE

Author Topic: SLEEPER UPGRADE
RICK777200
Member # 1525

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for RICK777200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO UPGRADE FROM COACH TO THE STANDARD/ECONOMY ROOM ON THE SOUTHWEST CHIEF FROM CHICAGO TO LOS ANGELES? CHEAPER EASTBOUND/ WESTBOUND?
Posts: 45 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CarterB
Member # 1439

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CarterB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fares depend on day you plan to travel and what "discounts" may be available.
An example of what to expect Fare one way LA-Chgo $164 Std Bedroom +$474 = $638.
You may be able to get better fares by going to www.amtrak.com and putting in the date/s you wish to travel. Also, if you are the gambling type, often you can upgrade enroute for up to 50% off. Good Luck!!

Posts: 53 | From: Mahwah, NJ, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kjkober
Member # 1423

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for kjkober     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But it IS a gamble. I struck out this time and sat next to stinky drunk guy who stole my camera...I hung out in the fake "oberservation" car (really another coach) the whole time and through the night.
Posts: 42 | From: Akron, Ohio USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is always the possibility that Amtrak Marketing may contact you and offer you an upgrade for a reduced fare. On a February trip, the day I was leaving Amtrak called me to ask if i wished to upgrade from the Standard I had booked to a Deluxe for $50 CHI-WAS and $100 ORL-NOL.

Probably the only time in this life that I ever have bought something from a telemarketer!

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never seen a 50% discount enroute for a sleeper. Another fact to consider is that the rail fare may be less when booking a sleeper than when the coach section is close to being full. When booking a sleeper you automatically recieve the fare at the lowest bucket.
Reggie

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page