RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Just booked The City of New Orleans

Author Topic: Just booked The City of New Orleans
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vicki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leaving Chicago Feb 8 and coming home the 16th. We didn't even discuss this until last night and now all the arrangements are made. We work fast!
Posts: 149 | From: Joliet, IL USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rode #58 in coach from NOL to CHI on 11/28-29. Had a whole seat to myself; very good sleeping and the train was right on the advertised the whole way. I believe they have been tinkering with the location(s) and number of sleeper(s) on this train lately.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carl
Member # 227

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might enjoy my report on the City of New Orleans from Memphis to New Orleans at:

http://trainweb.org/carl/RailsToRiverboats/

Let us know your impressions with photos!

Posts: 10 | From: Placentia,CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the edge of the Delta through which the City of Orleans passes is the most propersous area of the state, agriculturally. The poor parts are the eastern counties where the soil is much poorer. The difference is not as pronounced now as in the past. At the time the GM&N was completed in 1920 between Mobile AL and Jackson TN it was said that the agricultural production of their entire territory within the state of Mississippi was less than that of the two most productive Delta counties.

The Delta is the Alluvial flood plain area of the Mississippi River stretching from Memphis Tennessee to Vicksburg Mississippi, more or less lens shaped between those points, and about 80 miles wide at its widest. The almost complete flooding of this area in 1927 led to the start fo construction of the Mississippi River Levee system.

Posts: 2810 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Morning America........

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Morning to you , David. I hope the weather in your area is better than ours here in soggy,gloomy Virginia. Saturday it was 78 on our porch and today ..42 and heavy winds. Can you imagine cherry blossoms , bulbs and other plants are up. While in Denver our son is digging out of heavy snow and the only thing that moved was Amtrak!!!
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George, thanks for that geography lesson. It never fails to amaze me as to how much one can learn from the various people on this forum.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Illinois Central......Monday Morning Rail

(and good morning Train Lady.....we're damp here and I've lost a ceiling tile in my office to the nasty leak in my ceiling......)

I was just hoping to get a sing-along (minus bagpies) started with the lyrics to 'City of New Orleans'. So......I've actually tossed out a part of verse 1 in this post.....Good morning America actually starts the chorus as I recall!

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, I'm sure you know it's now Canadian National, not IC. Ugh!!!!!!

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As written by Steve Goodman:

"Riding on the City of New Orleans,
Illinois Central Monday morning rail"

Interesting; it would appear:

"Canadian National Monday morning rail'

would also fit the melody.

Posts: 9978 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Mr. Norman, nice meeting you at this forum. I'm sure you know that Steve Goodman was a Chi-town guy. Did you ever hear the story, as told by Arlo Guthrie, of how he met Steve Goodman at a Chicago bar and got talked into listening to the song? The rest, as they say, is history.

I'll be going to an Arlo Guthrie concert in exactly one month up at the University in Gainesville (go Gators!). If you ever get a chance to go to an Arlo concert, I highly recommend it.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Have never had the chance to see Arlo Guthrie live but have seen Gordon Lightfoot live twice. 'Canadian Railroad Trilogy' is on par with 'City of New Orleans'.

--------------------
David Pressley

Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remeber if you have a chance to play cards along the way its penny a point but no keeping score.
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page