RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Pacific Parlour Service

Author Topic: Pacific Parlour Service
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, a bit of history...

Most people know that up until approximately September, the Pacific Parlour Cars were staffed by a dedicated attendant who served drinks, did the wine tasting, and was responsible for the car.

Then Amtrak got rid of the regularly scheduled attendants, replacing them with extra-board attendants. However, based on a short trip I took in October, the duties were pretty much the same. The extra-board attendant served drinks, did the wine tasting, showed movies, and was responsible for the car.

Now, I took a trip on #11 on Christmas Day, and while I didn't talk to any crew members about the staffing situation, here are my observations:

-There is no longer a dedicated Parlour Car attendant position. The three sleeping car attendants (there are still 3 full sleeping cars on the Coast Starlight, in addition to the transition dorm) manage the Parlour Car.
-There is still a wine tasting, with real glasses, crackers and cheese. You can still buy the wines on board. The three sleeping car attendants managed the wine tasting.
-There are no soft drinks (or at least very few). There was juice and coffee set out on the bar in the Parlour Car, but they were the same that you would find in the sleeping cars.
-No movies were shown.

I'm glad the cars are still running, at least. However, I can't believe that Amtrak doesn't realize that these cars can more than make up for the extra expenses.

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I wonder what Richard is upto these days? He was the BEST Parlour Car Attendant. Ever.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always liked Tom and Nanette. I don't know if I ever met Richard.

I've wondered if they could still justify an attendant if they sold more food stuff at the bar instead of just alcohol. They were still giving away soft drinks long after they got rid of comp sodas on every other train. I guess they figure they've got all that covered in the cafe. But do many sleeper passengers venture down there?

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard is now a server/LSA on the Southwest Chief.
Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHI_Amtrak_Fan
Member # 4004

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHI_Amtrak_Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom and Nanette were also my favorites. I remember Tom telling me he started when Santa Fe was still providing on board service for the El Capitan/Super Chief successor (what is now the Southwest Chief) at the beginning of Amtrak. He must have had enough years of service to retire.

David Z

Posts: 39 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Burden
Member # 88

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Burden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When we took the CS in the summer of 2000 from LA to Seattle, they had movies in the lower level, but it was DIY. There was a selection of VHS tapes and our two kids were the only ones down there while we attended the wine tasting up stairs.

Dave

Posts: 73 | From: Unity, NH | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the timeline Paul, it really sums up everything very well. Yesterday at Union Station, 39974 was being used on #14, and I also saw 39972 in the yard. I hope these cars start becoming regular again, and they can start advertising them on the timetable.
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carl
Member # 227

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nanette was the Cafe Attendant on the Southwest Chief, #3, Dec. 10-12

http://trainweb.org/carl/Anniversary/640/DSC01133.jpg

Posts: 10 | From: Placentia,CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today's (01/06/07) #14 had a Parlour Car. I'd forgotten how sad some of them look on the outside. The 50+ years have not been kind to this old girl.

There was also, for the second time I've spotted in the last two months, an "extra" sleeper at the rear of the train. It didn't appear to be in use.

I was picking up a ticket for a quick Surfliner trip to LAUPT tomorrow afternoon. I try to time my trips to the station so that I get to see at least one train.

Frank in Sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob from MA
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob from MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I rode the CS north from LA to Portland in June '05. Really enjoyed the Pacific Parlour Car. We never went beyond the diner! Attendant was named Garrett - originally from Hyannis, Mass. He recognized my Massachusetts accent as soon as I said "pahlah cah"!

I'm sorry to hear that there isn't an assigned attendant anymore. Glad to hear, however, that the car still is part of the consist. Someone on the Southwest Chief told me last month that Pres. Kummant rode the CS recently and was impressed enough with the car that he said they'd keep it on. That's just heresay, though. I was surprised to hear that he'd actually ridden a long distance train.

Posts: 127 | From: Worcester, Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
I try to time my trips to the station so that I get to see at least one train.

I am SOOOOOO relieved to learn that I am not the only person who does this!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David--

I suspect it's a pretty big club! I've also been known to plan my walks from the Bird Refuge to the Wharf so I can see a train either at State Street, Milpas or passing the Bird Refuge.

Sadly, Sunday was not one of Amtrak's best days here in Santa Barbara. I arrived at the station about 4:10PM for the 4:29PM and found LOTS of people waiting. I figured it was just a Sunday, end of the Holidays crowd. Wrong. Turns out the earlier (2PM??) departure was cancelled. They eventually put both trainsets together in Goleta and got to SBA an hour late. A conductor was taking tickets from some passengers (including me) on the platform and suggested that we board the "second" train. When the combined trains came in there was a totally unintelligble announcement (the agents here seem to delight in waiting until the noise of an arriving train is at the maximum before starting their announcements.) I headed to the "second" train only to be met by a crew saying they had declared it "dead" and we would all need to board the "first" train. I was in B/C so had a seat but there were, I'd bet, standees by the time we got to Oxnard.

I took the Union Station Flyaway to LAX in 18 minutes (!!!!) at 9PM. It took 22 minutes to make the loop at LAX to terminal 6. The airport was a zoo with usual Sunday night traffic and, I suspect, lots of Winter Break kids and families. So, airtravel wasn't perfect either that day.

Frank in Sunny, Warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Frank,

On various trips with my wife we have managed to get off the highway after driving for hours and pull up to train stations in places as varied as Huntington, WV, Temple, TX, and Tuscaloosa, AL just as an Amtrak train arrives.

My wife thinks I have these trips planned down to the minute when sometimes, sometimes, it really happens just by chance.

Honest.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vline
Member # 1132

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for vline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nanette will create a bloody mary for you that will make your hair curl! [Cool]

Mike. in Australia.

Posts: 60 | From: Ballan, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoop
Member # 4607

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Pacific Parlour Cars are kinda sad without any attendants. The sleeper car attendants seem pissed they have to attend to the car, if they do at all. There's the whole movie theatre downstairs going completely to waste. I'm glad to still have it, but it's a completely lost opportunity and a dis-service.
Posts: 54 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a related note, does anyone know which car went to Beech Grove and got stripped down?

There is one parlour car with a different seating configuration from the others. It was actually the prototype. It has all of the swivel chairs on one side of the aisle, and the bench style cocktail seats on the other. I'm wondering if the oddball is the one that got stripped or if it is still in service.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Based on what I know, 39970 and 39975 aren't that one.
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy, I am in the process of building www.PacificParlourCar.com ...It will have some history, and information about which cars are running, etc. 39973 was sent to Beech Grove a few months ago due to being vandalized while in Klamath Falls. 39971 is the oddball, and was actually sold by Amtrak in the 90's to Northern Sky Rail Tours.

Anton

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although an old piece of equipment, Amtrak could make this Pacific Parlor Car into more of a money maker, than just a First Class Lounge. It's a unique set of equipment, with its upper and lower level.

But as usual, they have wasted space on the lower level (unused) of the car and have sought ways to eliminate expenses, rather than looking at a potential revenue stream. This car could easily cater to a "tourist class" of clientele, which could include the sleeping car passengers.

For example, VIA Rail operates on its Skeena train during peak season:

1) Coach Class
2) Totem Class (upgraded coach with access to the Park Dome Car and at seat meal service)
3) Totem Deluxe Class (access to the famed Panorama cars, Park Dome Car and at seat meal service.

Coast Starlight could borrow such level of class services, in addition to having the Parlor Car and a service attendant offer snacks and drinks (like one would find on the Canadian Park Dome Car) to passengers. In addition, they could sell souvenirs, handle the wine tastng etc.

Amtrak gets caught up in eliminating costs, without thinking of ways to create NEW revenue streams with some of its unique treatment.

Bring the Great Dome East (seasonally) and people would easily pay extra money to pay for a real lounge type car (i.e. operating on the Vermonter or Adirondack where clearance would allow).

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by jp1822:

Amtrak gets caught up in eliminating costs, without thinking of ways to create NEW revenue streams with some of its unique treatment.

This is largely due to the fact that Congress and the government auditors keep telling Amtrak to cut costs, including those that generate revenue.

Anton,
Good luck with pacificparlourcar.com. A worthwhile endeavor, IMHO.

dotshub1
Member # 4015

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dotshub1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We were on the CZ last June and our train had no parlour car at all. What a disappointment.
Posts: 14 | From: Tampa, Fl | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have been riding the CZ for some 15 years and have never had a parlour car. It is my understanding that the only train to have one is the Starlight.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Great Dome car would be perfect for the Adirondack. They could couple it to the train at Croton-Harmon,or Rensellaer/Albany. Did I spell the latter correctly? In the mid seventies a Dome car was added on to the train at Rensellaer/Albany.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by dotshub1:
We were on the CZ last June and our train had no parlour car at all. What a disappointment.

Bring back the Vista Domes!
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dotshub & Train Lady - yes, the only AMTRAK train with a Pacific Parlour car is the Coast Starlight.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page