RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Suggestions for things to do near US-LAX ?

Author Topic: Suggestions for things to do near US-LAX ?
earmond
Member # 186

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for earmond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Other than Olivera St. and Phillipe's, on a Saturday for about 3 hrs? Taking a trip up/down from San Diego to use up some voucher $. Been to Olivera St before, doing Phillipe's (French Dip) this time for lunch. What else? Even maybe within a short ride? trip back boards at 4:05 pm.

--------------------
Ernie

Posts: 30 | From: San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ernie--

Empress Pavillion in Chinatown for dim sum. Or take a ride on the Gold Line out to Pasadena. You might be able to get a visit to the Gamble House in. Or just check out "Old Town" Pasadena. Take the Red Line to Pershing Square and tour the Disney Concert Hall and new Cathedral. You could walk back by way of the Grand Central Market and the Bradbury Building. I just read an article about the re-opening of Angel's Flight funicular railway but not sure when that is due to happen.

Have a great time!

Frank in cool but sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgot to add:

www.experiencela.com . It will give you lots of ideas.

Frank

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tootle
Member # 4591

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the suggestions from SBALAX are good. Union Station is built on the site of LA's original China Town, and the Chinese American Museum opened a few years ago across the street in El Pueblo. I haven't been there yet but have heard good things about it. The Central Library is quite interesting and generally has an exhibit or two as well. At least one of the DASH bus routes serves Union Station and will take you through the greater downtown area for 50 cents (unless the New Year brought a new fare).

--------------------
Sue B

Posts: 11 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms.Sue B, are you possibly Miss Vicki (HopefulRailUser) and Mr. Art's traveling companion on the Sunset journey initially reported about on the now "hijacked" topic thread?

Incidentially, Mr. Armond, the train station in LA on Alameda Ave, is customarily known as Los Angeles Union Station, or LAUS. Previously, when owned by railroads, is was known as Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal, or LAUPT.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gilbert, don't you be mean to my friend. Although I see, on that hijacked topic, she seems to fit right in with the loonies. I knew she would.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Mr. Norman--

Surely you mean Alameda Street.

Frank in dark but still warm SBA.

Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And correctly pronounced: Ah-Lah-Mey-Dah.

"Forget it, Jake-- it's Chinatown."

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Mr. Frank, I will defer to "local knowledge".

It's has 'been a while', namely some fifteen years, since I have had reason to travel to the West Coast.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Come on out and visit, Mr. Norman.

BTW, the "two" Red Lines (One to Universal City and the other to Wilshire and Western) are now the Red Line (to Universal) and the Purple Line (to Wilshire and Western). That now means that Union Station is served by three Metro lines -- Gold, Red and Purple.

Frank in warm and sunny SBA

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Almost Mardi Gras colors! See, I am still in New Orleans, in spirit.
Yes Gilbert, you need to come visit us out here in the land of sun. And drought.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page