TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Atlanta luggage question

Author Topic: Atlanta luggage question
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be arriving in Atlanta on #19 on a Thursday morning and departing Atlanta on #20 (1st class) on the next Saturday evening. I have checked luggage for a couple of hours there before (for free!) but I wonder if I can check (as in stash) it there in between those two trips rather than lug it on a bus, Marta to the airport, a van to Columbus and back again in 2 days. Does anyone know or know how to get the local phone number at the station in Atlanta?
Thanks.

Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stlboomer
Member # 2028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stlboomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Fodors, the number for the Atlanta Amtrak station is 404 881-3060.
Posts: 103 | From: St. Louis, MO USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let us know what you find out. The information will certainly be useful to someone else!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depending on what type of response you get from the ticket office, Another option would be to check the baggage to Atlanta on your inbound trip and then just not claim it till your return trip. Some type of scenario like that may help.
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IF YOU CHECK IT AND DON'T CLAIM IT FOR SEVERAL DAYS YOU HAD BETTER FIND OUT HOW LONG UNCHECKED BAGGAGE CAN REMAIN. THERE IS A LIMIT ON UNCLAIMED BAGGAGE BUT I DON'T REMEMBER WHAT IT IS.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although your profile, Mr. City, might suggest you practice a minimalist lifestyle, there are times and places for simply renting an auto. This appears to be one such.

Two rental days for $100 would appear to save $1,000 worth of hassle, but then, if your namesake train were still around, I guess that would solve all problems, save a "wee hour' arrival and departure.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee, Mr. Norman, I never really thought of that. As you supposed, that would be very much against my nature. I am committed to and content with public transportation.
IIRC it was The Man of War that ran from Columbus to Atlanta daily when I was a child. I remember a big picture of the racehorse in the waiting room of the depot. I don't think the City of Miami ran through Atlanta. It came to Columbus either from Birmingham (SB) or Jacksonville (NB)

Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi City,

I imagine there was a presumption that you might be traveling from the west coast via Chicago and Washington.

In that case, the 'City of Miami' could have shaved a night off your trip by taking you from Chicago directly to Columbus, GA!

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess we should note that #9 the "'Nole" (shorthand for the Indian Nation, which in all likelihood Anna Nicole OD'd yesterday) would have afforded you a same day connection at Chi with any of the road's "flagship" trains and dropped you in Columbus during "people hours'(125P). However, the 6-6-4 IC Sleeper would likely have been the only lightweight car in the consist (at least there, the Roomettes were "center car"; unlike the 6-4-6 successor).

But then, Mr. City, you still would have had cooked on board Dining service, but no Domes or Obs.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Oh. OK, I get it.

Actually I'm flying from SFO to Charlotte. Then taking the Carolinian up to Durham. Then the Crescent (as mentioned above) from Greensboro to Atlanta. And then Crescent, Cardinal and Zephyr back to CA. The latter leg is my AGR special 3zonesforthe priceof2 which depends on originating in ATL.

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by City of Miami:
Oh. OK, I get it.

Actually I'm flying from SFO to Charlotte. Then taking the Carolinian up to Durham. Then the Crescent (as mentioned above) from Greensboro to Atlanta. And then Crescent, Cardinal and Zephyr back to CA. The latter leg is my AGR special 3zonesforthe priceof2 which depends on originating in ATL.

Ah.......now it makes sense.

We're looking forward to your trip report and I am particularly interested in your reaction to the recently renovated and reopened Southern Railway station in Greensboro. It's not a huge building but it is a very welcome change to the 26 years Amtrak worked out of a cinderblock box down by the freight yard!

Have a great trip!

--------------------
David Pressley

CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Mr. Norman. The hassles far outweigh any benefits of utilizing public transportation.

I can almost guarantee you that the answer to your inquiry would be negative. As one who regularly uses the Atlanta station, I can also assure you that even someone there told you that it could be arranged, that would be no guarantee that the luggage would be there when you returned. The staff there is only marginally pleasant and/or knowledgeable, and do not always communicate with one another. One person's response may not equal another's.

This is definitely a car rental or taxi scenario.

Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page