RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » hotel in vancouver

Author Topic: hotel in vancouver
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last time I was in downtown Vancouver the Best Western I stayed in when by myself was on a rather dumpy street. Then when my friend arrived we moved to the Days Inn Downtown, very convenient to the cruise ships but kind of pricey for a Days Inn. Anyway, it's booked for when I plan to be in Vancouver. Does anyone have any other suggestions for downtown Vancouver? I'll be taking an early morning Rocky Mountain train out (terminal is near the VIARail terminal I think) but gather I'll have to take a taxi to it regardless. I want something for under $150/night, in fact under $125 would be better! But safe, clean, comfortable, and where I can get a taxi reliably in the morning.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recommend the Buchan Hotel (pronounced buck-in) that's near Stanley Park. It' probably not near downtown and not near the Via Rail station, but I'm sure you could get a cab there. It's been a long time since I stayed there, but its website indicates it's still there and less expensive than what you're quoting. It's a non-smoking hotel.

http://www.buchanhotel.com/

Interestingly, it's named for the man who wrote "The Thirty-nine Steps," a popular spy novel and one of Alfred Hitchcock's early movies.

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When we took a cruise from Vancouver to San Francisco two years ago we stayed at the Ramada Limited. It was also on sort of a dumpy street (a block or so from Gastown) but the hotel was fine and they upgraded us to an Executive Room with a very nice Continental breakfast included.

Frank in sunny, after a nice rain last night, SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the 90s we stayed in a great hotel in Vancouver . It was called the Sylvia. It was like a European hotel..large rooms with floor to ceiling windows that looked out on the edge of Stanley park,Also it had a simply grest restaurant. I don't know if it is still there. Does anyone who is familiar with Vancouver know about it?
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who runs the Hotel Vancouver nowadays?

I have a feeling one had best ask for a credit limit extension before contemplating a stay there.

It used to be a combined CN/CP Hotel.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman--

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's now the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver. They took over quite a few of the CP Hotels including the Empress in Victoria and the Palliser in Calgary. Occasionally you can get a room for under $100US but it's rare.

Frank in still dry and sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner, I looked up The Sylvia on Google and sure enough there it was. Apparently it's well known in Vancouver. The 3rd reference down trip advisor has comments from peope who stay there and their impressions seem to match mine,European, big rooms, fantastic view of English Bay and on the edge of Stnley Park, and reasonable prices. I have several pages of comments about all the different people walking biking and skating along the side walk across the street on the water. At any rate if you are interested just google the Sylvia Hotel and be sure to read the comments.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although the Hotel Vancouver is my favourite in Vancouver, as others have noted it can be pricey. You may want to consider the downtown Delta Suites that often has reasonable rates and quite large bedrooms. This is a first-class hotel in the downtown area not all that far from the former Canadian Pacific station.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
Mr. Norman--

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's now the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver. They took over quite a few of the CP Hotels including the Empress in Victoria and the Palliser in Calgary. Occasionally you can get a room for under $100US but it's rare.

Frank in still dry and sunny SBA

There are occasionally good deals at the Hotel Vancouver as at most Fairmont Hotels. Many times you have to be a member of the "President's Club" but membership is free.

A few years ago, Canadian Pacific Hotels (formerly a subsidiary of Canadian Pacific Ltd. and more recently a separate company)purchased the smaller Fairmont chain and surprised us by changing their name to Fairmont. Many people think that Fairmont took over CP, but as a small shareholder I know this wasn't true. Last year, the company was sold primarily to the Saudi prince: HRH Prince Alwaleed bin Talal bin Abdul Aziz Al-Saud and to secondary US investors, yet its head office remains in Toronto, Canada.

Posts: 216 | From: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beacon Hill
Member # 4431

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beacon Hill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll add a recommendation for the Hotel Sylvia. It's in a nice part of town with nice rooms and a friendly staff. It is also frequently sold out.
Posts: 78 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so very much for all your tips. The Buchan sounds like fun but I don't think I want to stay so far over by Stanley Park because then we'll have to take taxis not only to and from the hotel on arrival and departure but also when we come back from dinner; also, it's not air conditioned and there are no phones in the rooms, 2 things I like to have. I know you don't really need air conditioning in Vancouver, but it helps with my allergies to use it and then just use more blankets!!! And my allergies were acting up lots from my stay in Seattle last year.

The Sylvia sounds even more interesting, given its history, but again, the location may require too many taxi rides; also, the hotel does not have a tollfree number to phone, and I find that irritating esp for Canada, which I cannot call for free on the cell phone.

So I'll probably go with the Ramada Limited. The location is more convenient, and I think it's quite near one of my favorite restaurants in Vancouver, Wild Rice! I checked trip advisor and the recs there sound pretty good (unlike the OTHER Ramada, which sounds terrible).

Of course, I'd love to stay in the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, but for the time of the trip, I think the price there will be well above my budget!!!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page