RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » If anything should happen to any of us......

Author Topic: If anything should happen to any of us......
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this is a strange sort of thread to post, and I don't want to sound morbid, but it occurred to me that whilst we have a number of keen younger members many of the regulars on this forum are middle-aged or retired.

Over the years we have come to regard this forum with affection, and despite the occasional cross word or disagreement most of the postings have remained civil and we have come to look upon many of the regular contributors as friends (indeed, I had the honour of meeting the legendary Mr Toy in person on a flying visit to Monterey last fall).

I was thinking what a great shame it would be if anything happened to one of the regular contributors and they just stopped posting to the forum never to be heard from again. Whilst it would be sad to hear of their incapacity or even demise we would at least know what happened and could remember them in our thoughts and prayers.

I have therefore left a note with my private papers instructing my executor to let you know if the williams is ever no more and I wondered if anybody wanted to make similar arrangements?

ps no, there's absolutely nothing wrong with me, and I'm in good health but it's a funny old world and you never know.....

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is NOT out of line or morbid. I have done same; not in my will, but in an envelope, amongst other pertinent information "to be opened in the event of....' in the custody of an immediate family member. Remember to provide your password to that designee.

Recently, a fellow who regularly participates both at Railroad,net and the NHRHTA New Haven RR forums, became ill and was hospitalized for about a week. He is presently convalescing. An administrator at Railroad.net noted his absence and since I see him face to face 'every so often', I was contacted. I subsequently learned of his hospitalization and, with his permission, advised RRNET accordingly.

Many of us here live on our own, many of us are retired. Many of us are not all that outgoing and have family and executors (mine is a bank) that "would not even think' to post at sites such as here "in the event of....' We would disappear 'without a trace'.

Thoughts on a very pertinent point, Mr. Williams.

Posts: 9979 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent point, Mr. Williams.

I had a friend who I knew face to face but for many years had only been in contact with by e-mail. I stopped hearing from him and did not know he had passed away until his nephew had the presence of mind to check his computer address book and send a message to everyone in it.

On a much more positive note, I was reunited on this board with a friend from almost 40 years ago with whom I had lost touch!

Frank in sunny, after a nice rain last night, SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a gentleman in Texas who was the anchor of the AOL rail boards for many years. He and I kept in touch for quite awhile after the AOL boards began to deteriorate. He helped reintroduce me to rail travel almost seven years ago, and taught me the basics of rail advocacy. When his wife passed away he shared some of the things he was going through. He showed up on my AOL Buddy List as recently as last December. In mid January his daughter informed me that he had passed away on new years day. She found my name in his address book.

So, no, I don't think this is an inappropriate topic. I've wondered about it myself. However, at my relatively young age, I can't quite see myself writing an "in the event of..." letter just yet. It kinda creeps me out.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoop
Member # 4607

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinkin' on this the other day. Since we have 'online communities' now, 'tis certainly something to ponder. Like we are all neighbors or something.
Posts: 54 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About one year ago I created a message to the my friends and family as a way to say goodby since we all may not have that last opportunity, so I shall share it with those at this site.

Do not mourn or weep to long
For I begin this journey strong
Strong from all the friends Ive had
Who saw me through both good and bad

Strong from adventures far and near
Most undertaken without fear
Many here and some who have past
Strode with me on some projects vast
How we prevailed are stories told
And happily relished as we grew old

Strong from family memories dear
Parents, Grandparents for many years
Provided guidance and support
And seldom put me on report

My wife Diane, strong and true
Loved me dearly as I always knew
As my children grew and went
To spred their wings as heaven sent
They made me proud, each one
And so very proud of how it was done

Strong because of a life complete
Although it sped beneath my feet
As you each leave and go your way
To live and love another day
Enjoy each one for they are to few
I thank you all for mine with you

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How Lovely!!!!
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A thought came to me I wouldn't mind dying if I were in an Amtrak Sleeper car(They say it's best to die doing something you love than to suffer in a hospital). After having a nice dinner God welcomes you into his country. You would be dying with the scenery passing by. Furthermore I am only in my early 20s but would plan to travel if I god forbid had a terminal illnses. I would tell the Dr so what if I die in a foreign country they will ship my body home. At least my family will know I was doing something fun.

And if I died on the Coast Starlight you would read about me.

Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Travelplus, your scenario did indeed happen in the past year. If I remember correcly, a man travelling with his daughter in sleeper on the eastbound CZ died somewhere on Colorado. The daughter managed to keep the event secret until just before their home destination of Chicago. It saved the hassle of shipping the body home.

I believe there may be laws about the local county coroner showing up whenever a death occurs, so the train would be delayed whereever you die. As for myself, I might just consider having my ashes scattered on a favorite LD route.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, scattering one's ashes along a favorite LD route, preferably over CSX or UP trackage would be fitting. Then it would be appropriate to be referred to as "the LATE Mr. John Doe."

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many years ago on one of my train trips, a woman died on the Sunset Ltd somewhere in Texas, primarily due to very very serious air conditioning problems on the Sunset (not an uncommon problem..). She died overnight, and her body was taken off the train at Del Rio the next morning, and yes, that did delay the train a couple hours since the coroner had to come to the station, etc.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apologies for bringing this thread I started in 2007 back up the list, but with the news of the sad passing of "Delvyrails" I thought it might be a good time to remind anyone who hadn't made arrangements for notifying the forum that they might like to do so, as it would be sad if a regular contributor just disappeared without us knowing.
Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Morbid thread, but I got to thinking of something along the lines of communicating with the dead. Imagine how creepy it would be to get an e-mail or see a posting from a dead person?

They reportedly come back to talk to the living all the time, right, so why not in cyberspace?

Anyway, I fully expect to outlast my computer; if you all suddenly stop hearing from me it's probably because I threw the damn thing in the dumpster!

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just yesterday I noted that I still had a Facebook Friend who had died last year. I went to her "Wall" to see how to delete her and noted that her various friends were still posting on it, memories of her and notes of missing her.

In a way your online persona can survive your earthly time. Kind of weird. But Facebook wanted me to invite her to play games, etc. so I though un-friending her was the best approach.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is really frightening to me is that I remember this thread when it ran originally and I cannot believe that it has already been five years now.

Had I been guessing, I would have said it was around in late 2009 or early 2010..... a couple or three years maybe. Not five.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Right, David. I saw that post of mine from five years ago, and I really didn't recognize it!

--------------------
Ocala Mike

mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
I know just what you mean - in a few weeks time it'll be TEN YEARS since I took my first LD trip on the CZ and it's ten years this year that I started posting on the forum.

As you get older time seems to speed up!

Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is really something to consider. Thank you for the suggestion.
Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kind of a, shall we say different, topic.
Be that as it may, here's a news story on emails from the beyond.

When I read about the man who passed away in the roomette on Eastbound Zephyr, and his adult daughter kept quiet about it until they reached their Chicago destination, I told my daughters,
"All in all, not a bad way to go..."
Also pointed out how she saved on casket shipping charges by waiting for the CUS reveal.

We could make some comments about the (lack of) attention by SCA on that Zephyr, but, too soon?

--------------------
_ _ __ _ _ ŤĦę ĊĦĪĘҒ
_|_|_|_|_|

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page