RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Survey & Advertising Campaign Launched

Author Topic: Amtrak Survey & Advertising Campaign Launched
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was glancing at the "News & Media" tab of the Amtrak site and noticed 2 new entires. First off, Amtrak launched a new website: AmtrakSurvery.com
It appears to be directed at the experience of customers traveling on Long Distance trains. I have noticed several companies launching these survey sites recently, they are very common at restaurants nowadays to gain feedback on consumer experiences.

Furthermore, Amtrak is also launching a new Advertising Campaign. And its Focusing on the experience of long distance train travel. This was pretty odd. I have not seen a National Amtrak ad in some time, and I look forward to seeing them.

Amtrak Press Release

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ad campaign should put to rest any notions about Amtrak management trying to kill long distance service. Looks like a positive move to me.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just completed the survey about our Coast Starlight trip on #14 on Monday. I will follow it up with a letter. The condition of our sleeper was shameful. The Passenger Service Manager agreed but promised that the entire train will be up to the standards of the Empire Builder by June.

We were in a Deluxe Bedroom and one half of the window was almost opaque, there was duct tape everywhere, the toilet/shower smelled and, when we returned to the room after dinner, it was like a sauna. The car attendant said he had turned up the heat because "the old people complained they were cold". The in room control was broken. The knob just spun. The PSM said it was like a sauna but he had no other room to move us to. We were able to make it to SJC by keeping the door open but could not have spent the night in that room.

The good news is that we left the train only about one hour late. That was before it hit a vehicle between SJC and Oakland adding two more hours to its lateness.

Frank in clear but cooling SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Toy:
The ad campaign should put to rest any notions about Amtrak management trying to kill long distance service. Looks like a positive move to me.

Likely, Mr. Toy, it is more a case of the Bush administration ("Congress funds, the President runs") having a few more hot potatoes in the oven of late.

The 2005 initiative (Marionetta *** and Pony Show) obviously flopped; people, and hence their elected representatives, do like trains.

But such hardly implies that LD trains suddenly provide meaningful transportation. The ad campaign is likely more of a concession by the Administration that 'we're stuck with 'em; so may as well fill 'em up".

But if the objective is 'fill 'em up' rather than deliberately turning prospective passengers away, I agree such is a positive move.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the 2007 budget proposed by the Administration again gives far less to Amtrak that it needs to operate.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Mr. Norman informs, it is Congress who provides the funding, and it will be included in legislation which includes many other expenditures so a veto is unlikely.
Congress has always had the ability to provide funding for Amtrak in a way that any Administration will approve because of the way it is packaged. So our primary focus should be on Congress, both for funding existing operations and the enhancement of exixting services.

No matter which party is in the White House they only submit a budget and we advocates have been dissatisfied with both party's budgets. We should quit dissing the administrations and go after the Congress.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've received a few surveys in the mail regarding a particular long-distance trip I've taken. These come in the mail a few weeks after you've taken the trip, and state "Even if you've taken other Amtrak trips since then, only base your responses on your trip taken on [DATE]".
The questions run the gaumet from tardiness, quality of the food, cleanliness of the train (inside and out), service from the crew, help during booking, etc. It then asks you, of these items, the most important issues to you during a trip.

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page