RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak funds

Author Topic: Amtrak funds
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got a Google alert on Amtrak which said that Bush had signed a spending bill and Amtrak is frozen at 1.3 billion. For those of you who aren't aware of it Google alerts tell you every time there is something in Congress pertaining to Amtrak. Interesting
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$1.3 billion is a whole lot more than he gave in the past. But then it's OK now being a lame duck president. <G>

--------------------
Andy Jackson
Downey CA

Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its about the same amount Amtrak has gotten the last two years.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's better than 500 million, but still not enough.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I reread the article and it says that Amtrak was frozen at 1.3 mi instead of absorbing the 400mi Bush wanted. So I guess some is better than nothing. I had read a quote from Bush saying that he didn't see any need for trains because people could either drive or fly. How accurate that is I do not know
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What happened is that Congress finally sent a FY 2007 Omnibus Appropriation Act to the President on February 14. What they did, rather than doing real appropriations, was simply appropriate all agencies at their FY2006 funding levels:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/02/16/bush.spending.ap/

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=2876035

As far as freezing the number, that is reporterese. The term is appropriation. The number for FY07 appears to be indeed $1.3 billion. That is less than the "state of good repair" which is still the concept at Amtrak, even with Mr Kummant on board (and he wasn't on board for the FY07 submission), but more than the Administration wanted to give him.

If you read the CNN version, Bush wasn't happy about anything. Big Deal. Bush is laser-lighted onto one issue now, and it's NOT Amtrak.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page