RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » about to pull the trigger

Author Topic: about to pull the trigger
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good SoCal morning to all the informed and gracious folks on this board. The DW and I are about to pull the trigger on our trip to Chicago to see my Cubbies defeat the Dodgers this Sept. We will be taking the Southwest Chief round trip from LAX to CHI. We will be reserving a bedroom for the trip, So the questions I have is one bedroom better than another? Should I call amtrak to set this up or if there is no difference in the rooms than should I just do it online?
Thanks in advance for all the help and information I might recieve from the group.

Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were I you, I'd call Amtrak rather than doing it online and ask for a room (either a deluze bedroom or a roomette) toward the center of the car, not at its ends. The ride gets a bit rougher the closer you get to the trucks under the car. The closer you are to the center of the car, the smoother the ride.

Go Cubs!

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want a specific room you can only do that by phone. Everyone has his own opinion as to the room and here is mine. DO NOT get room A It is smaller than the others because it's the last (or first) next to the door to the next car.I don't like E because it is next to the stairs leading down and closest to the vestibule where the coffee pot and ice are kept. People tend to comgregate there to talk and you can hear the people going up and down the stairs. My personal choice it C. It's in the middle and people don't tend to stop and talk outside the door. The last point may seem silly to some but so be it. I like to sleep on my left side and the couch/bed is on the left wall so I can face out into the room instead of the wall. Also my husband and I share the bottom bed and facing outward is more comfortable. Hope this helps.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To fortify Ms. Train Lady's statement, if you end up with Bedroom "A", cancel and get two Roomettes.

Regretably with the "high priced spread", there is no assurance which way the sofa will be riding; A,C,& E ride one dirextion, B & D the other.

This year, I thought I was going to "treat myself' on an upcoming AT trip with single occupancy Bedrooms in place of my usual Roomettes. When in one direction "A" was assigned by the website, and a live reservationist was not able to better such, I scrubbed and will make do with my usual - and save $300 in the process.

By the way, I could care less which way the sofa rides, "if you've seen one Pine Tree, you've seen 'em all".

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman, we have "ridden" in room c many times and have always had the sofa on the left. Maybe we were just lucky. I really don't care which way it faces during the day as facing forward or back makes no difference to me. I know it does bother some people to ride backwards.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to you all for your quick replies, We have pulled the trigger now. The DW made the call, it appears that room E is about 500-600 dollars more so she opted for D in one direction and E in the other. bottom line here is as long as the DW has her own bathroom and shower she is happy, and if she is happy than I am as well. Again thanks for the replies and allowing me to ask the question.
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree about Bedroom A. Not only is it nearest the door into the next car but the floor plan, which is unique among the Bedrooms) is very cramped. Larger people would have difficulty getting into the toilet/shower compartment. On my last trip in a Bedroom I was surprised to find that the chair is no longer moveable. It is attached to the wall and very uncomfortable in that position. The attendant said it was done for safety reasons.

On that trip, SBA/SJC on #14, we were in "C" and the sofa was facing towards the rear of the train. And, as I've already reported here, the car was in a shameful state of repair. Duct tape everywhere, an almost opaque window panel, strong smells from the toilet/shower, uncontrolable temperature ("It's like a sauna in here!", said the Passenger Service Manager.) no trash bag in the undercounter space, etc. I wrote a letter but have yet to hear from Amtrak.

Frank in gorgeously sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, for one, don't have any real preference about rooms, though I do kinda like the lower level. But I prefer these days to take the luck of the draw and be surprised. Its more interesting that way.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On our trip on #5 a few months ago, we drew "C" on a car that must have been one of the older ones. I didn't record the number, but I remember it had "Alabama" on the door. We had a leaky shower that made using the toilet a rather damp experience. The sofa was facing forward, at least.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally prefer Room E. I agree with others to avoid Room A.

Of course, the very best part is taking that shower and feeling clean! I've done early Amtrak and pre-Amtrak trips, and 2 days without ...well... you get my point.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For future reference, if you book on line (which may be a little cheaper) and get a room you don't like, you can always call & have them change the room - I did this when I booked my Christms 2007 trip about a month ago. The computer gave me roommette #2, but the phone people were happy to change it to any roommette I wanted. Also you could change sleeping cars if the space is available in a different car & you would prefer it. Why would you want to? Well less foot traffic if you are not the first sleeper next to the diner, for example.

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page