RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Canada Trip - I hope!

Author Topic: Canada Trip - I hope!
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All right, Mr. Kisor, you've gone and done it to me; after reading your "Canadian" thread I have officially caught "go fever." While I won't pull the trigger on the trip at least until my pending real estate deal is done, I'm definitely wanting to do this one.

Some background: I am NOT independently wealthy; I work the night shift as a boiler/air conditioning operator. However, I have made some fortuitous financial decisions. After living for twelve years in a fourplex's one-bedroom apartment overlooking the railroad tracks, I sold the fourplex for a tidy profit. This financed our last big family trip on the Sunset Limited to California. I put a substantial portion of the leftover funds into BNSF stock, which promptly went from $50 to somewhere north of $80 a share (sure wish I could do that again!). Now I have the opportunity to purchase a rent house with a solid prospective tenant for about 10% under the normal going market value. To come up with the down payment I will have to cash out my stocks, but after making needed repairs and holding back a few thousand as an emergency fund I should still have a bit of cash to play with. And I'm definitely thinking of playing....

The plan: Three weeks plus one day off of work, starting in late October right after VIA and Amtrak go to off-peak fares (alternately, next April). North American Rail Pass, with possible sleeper and business class upgrades as appropriate. Day 1: Depart on a Wednesday (my workweek is Friday-Tuesday), Thruway bus/Texas Eagle Houston to Chicago. Day 2: Arrive Chicago, possibly visit the lake shore and Navy Pier. Day 3: Chicago, Museum of Science & Industry. Day 4: Depart on the California Zephyr for San Francisco. Day 6: Arrive San Francisco. No specific plans. Day 7: Miscellaneous sightseeing in the morning; evening departure on the Coast Starlight for Seattle. Day 8: Arrive Seattle, late. Day 9: Seattle. Day 10, early: Morning Cascade to Vancouver. Day 11: Vancouver. Day 12 (Sunday): Depart on the Canadian for Toronto. Day 15: Arrive Toronto. Day 16: Toronto. Day 17: Depart on the Maple Leaf. Overnight stopover at Niagara Falls. Day 18: Evening arrival into NYC. Day 19: New York. Day 20: Regional to Washington. Day 21: Washington, Smithsonian Institute. Day 22: Depart on the Crescent. Day 23: Overnight stop in New Orleans. Day 24 (Friday): Arrive Houston. Real life resumes.

Obviously at this point plans are very flexible. I am at least modestly familiar with all of the major cities along this route except for Toronto, although it has been nearly twenty years since I visited most of them. Some of the reasons behind this itinerary: The Chicago detour comes because I've recently ridden the Sunset to LA, while the Zephyr will all be new mileage to me. (TTTT, I'd rather take the SW Chief - I've been a Santa Fe fan since I was nine - but we just did Disney last year and there's not too much else you can do in LA without a car). Got to take the Starlight one way or the other if you're going to ride the Canadian. The Canadian itself should be self-explanatory. I have yet to see Niagara Falls close up. The stops in NYC and Washington could swing a day either way, depending on whether or not I can find affordable lodging convenient to the train stations (I don't plan to rent a car unless I must). There is probably more that interests me and that I haven't yet done in Washington than in New York. Bourbon Street holds no interest for me whatsoever, although I might be interested in NOL's WWII museum - but then I live close enough to visit NOL some other time.

Cost is definitely a factor, although I am generally willing to spend more if I receive adequate value. If I can get a sleeper accommodation for about $125 a night or less I will; otherwise I'll tough it out in coach. Exception: I WILL book at least a lower berth on the Canadian even if I have to take out a second mortgage to do so. My taste in hotels runs to the quirky and offbeat, and as a single man I am willing to be more adventurous than most. I have stayed in a flophouse in San Diego for $12 a night (in 1987)- bathroom down the hall and "characters" in the lobby - and I would do it again were the establishment still in business. OTOH, I was also willing to plunk down $250 for a night's stay at La Fonda in Santa Fe, and I would be willing to do that again as well. "Mom & Pop" bed & breakfasts and independent places appeal to me; I avoid chain motels whenever possible.

So with all the foregoing in mind, I solicit your advice and (hopefully) encouragement. All constructive suggestions are welcome.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy, I'm jealous. I wish I could drop everything and do what you're doing.

Check out the upper berth fares on The Canadian. Maybe you could ride coach part way and sleeper part way. I used to do that, alternating sitting up one night with one night in the sleeper. Don't know, however, if VIA Rail will let you break up the trip that way.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds great!
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't have to be near Union station in DC. The metro takes one easily to Arlington,Alexandria or Falls Church in Va.or various close in places in Md. There is a Metro stop right at the station.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh! I'm yearning for a trip like that. It's bad enough trying to squeeze in a trip from Trenton to Seattle via Regional to Wash. D.C., and the Capitol Ltd to CHI, then onward to SEA via Empire Builder. Looks like it isn't going to happen this Spring. In 1989 I rode the Canadian (CP route) from Vancouver to Winnipeg then on the same day took the CN route back to Vancouver. I miss the Canadian. Happy rail journeys to you!
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panamaclipper
Member # 3058

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for panamaclipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The overnight trip from Toronto to Halifax is a great trip, too. You change trains in Montreal. Real pretty trip.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cdnfan32
Member # 4674

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cdnfan32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In another post I mentioned a reasonable hotel in Toronto very close to Union Station (a block or so away)called the Strathcona Hotel. Here's their link:

http://www.thestrathconahotel.com/

There's also a very reasonable (and nice) hotel about a 5 minute walk away on Yonge Street called the Hotel Victoria. I believe it's marginally cheaper than the Strathcona. Its website is:

http://www.hotelvictoria-toronto.com/

For Toronto (which is a pricey place for hotels) both these are good value and quite close to the station.

Enjoy your trip. It sounds terrific.

Posts: 16 | From: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Reuben
Member # 2263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Reuben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is more than a stone's throw away from downtown Chicago to The Museum of Science and Industries, so do your planning carefully. There should be plenty of bus options to accommodate the trek (which is well worth it). There may even be a rail option or two that you can explore. Chicago Cabs are always fun, but it may get a little pricey.

The trip from Vancouver to Toronto sounds priceless and I'm kind of sorry that I didn't consider that option. I don't know much about the Maple Leaf but I am well-acquainted with the Adirondack, which is one of my very favorite routes. Crossing the border is always a bit tense and sobering moment and a passport makes things much, much easier.

Best of luck. I once did the Rail Pass thing and I suppose I got my money's worth, but I did feel kind of locked in to the itinerary that I had planned. Maybe things have changed, but I didn't see a whole lot of flexibility built into the pass (unless you are an international traveler and then the rules seem to be different).

Posts: 324 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page