RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Motion Sickness, kids, missed trains?

Author Topic: Motion Sickness, kids, missed trains?
scaredrider
Member # 1566

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for scaredrider     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I have never taken a train before, but I am dragging my family across the US to see my parents for the first time in seven years. I have booked deluxe sleepers (2) the entire way, and have asked to make them suite-able. I made all the reservations myself, and have checked and double-checked myself. I am so afraid of two things. 1) My 4 year old son is very motion-sickness prone (he has thrown up in cars a few times) Is there anything I can do about this? Are trains worse or better than cars? 2) My other worry is having our train delayed so much that we miss the next connection and thereby loose our sleepers. Does this happen alot? I am very scared of this trip. I have invested so much time and money, that I have panic attacks just thinking about everything that can go wrong. I have read Jim Loomis' book about eighteen times. Can anyone give me any words of advice or comfort? The train ride will be four days and three nights one-way, and then back again. Everyone I know says I am crazy for taking the train.
Posts: 16 | From: clemmons, nc | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scaredrider
Member # 1566

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for scaredrider     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how to add on to my original message, so I'll just add a reply (sorry)

We are traveling from Greensboro, North Carolina to San Diego, California.

We are going to connect trains in Washington and then Chicago.

We are going the long stretch Chicago to LA on the South West Chief. Then in LA take a train to San Diego.

Does this sound do-able? Will we come back alive?

Even on the short stretch from Greensboro to Washington I have gotten sleepers. Mainly because I don't want anyone in the family (five of us) sitting apart in coach. It was overkill financially, but I am really hoping to do this trip in the safest, most accomodating and comfortable way for everyone. We have had horrible experiences with airplanes (throwing up, small planes, turbulence, long waits in a terminal, uncomfortable seating, earaches, headaches, hunger, nausea, mean people sitting near us, crying kids (my kids) etc...) I am trying to avoid all of this by taking a train. I hope I am doing the right thing.

Posts: 16 | From: clemmons, nc | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CarterB
Member # 1439

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CarterB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Booking 2 deluxe rooms 'en suite' is a glorious way to travel across country!!!
RE: motion sickness, on some of the track, the train may 'sway' a bit, so I'd take along dramamine or transderms approved by your son's pediatrician, just in case.
RE: connections, not knowing which trains you are taking, I will have to assume that what ever connections in Chicago (?) you have will have ample time to be a 'guarateed connection', check with Amtrak to make sure.
In any case, Deluxe rooms en suite is truly FIRST CLASS way to go, verrrrrrrrry roomy, comfortable and you will be pleased!!! I am envious!!!!

Posts: 53 | From: Mahwah, NJ, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CarterB
Member # 1439

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CarterB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our replies crossed each other.

You will be taking #20 The Crescent from Greensboro to DC 3:19am - 9:30am?
Then #29 Capitol Ltd. DC - Chgo 4:05pm - 9:19am
(plenty of time to see DC and Union Station is right AT the Capitol and the mall, just check your baggage on to your ROOMS on #29, and have fun for the day)
Same in Chicago plenty of time to see the area. Check baggage to your ROOMS on #3.
Then #3 SW Ltd. to LA - 3:15pm - 8:40 am
Connection at LA to SD a bit tight but check for a bit later trains, they run often. Best bet is to book Business class on the trip to SD.

Return trip plenty of time in Chgo and DC for your connections. Again, check luggage ahead to next train to your ROOMS.

A bit late getting into Greensboro (1:33am)

If you can make a change, might I suggest that you travel on #50 The Cardinal on the way back. Chicago to Charlottesville, VA, then connect to #19 The Crescent on back to Greensboro. The Cardinal has a spectacular day time trip through the Appalachians, and you get a nice stopover at Charlottesville. (4:30-10pm)

Posts: 53 | From: Mahwah, NJ, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimmymac
Member # 1182

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for jimmymac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Scaredrider:
I have suffered from motion sickness since childhood. I have been extremely ill on airplanes and cars before I started taking Dramamine, which puts me to sleep. I took the Sunset LTD from JAX to LAX and back in March of this year and did not have to take a single pill. The side to side motion of the train did not bother me. Trains are a lot better than cars and planes.

Posts: 57 | From: Huntersville, NC USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am off on a 9900 mile Amtrak Adventure next Tuesday and a couple of days ago I had similar questions about connections.

I was assured by a phone rep that Amtrak would do whatever is necessary if a connection is missed, provided there is at least a scheduled 90 minute difference between the scheduled arrival and scheduled departure.

When asked about my only "tight" connection (in to Chicago on the Empire Builder from Seattle and departing on the City of New Orleans), with a 3+ hour connection time, she said that Amtrak had several options including:

. holding the City if it was a question of a "few" minutes,
. hiring a bus, car or taxi (depending on the number of affected passengers) to "catch up" with the City (as the bus is faster through Illinois!!!),
. providing hotel accommodations and meals, and then on the next day's City, with all downline connections adjusted,
. re-routing me to the east and then on to Florida on one of the Silver trains.

Granted I am a First Class passenger (but I don't think I mentioned that on this phone call), but if this is actual procedure it is pretty darn terrific. I'm almost looking for a delay somewhere on the trip just to check them out!!! (fortunately, it's total leisure and I'm not on any time schedule)

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mho357
Member # 1204

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for mho357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kairho:
. providing hotel accommodations and meals, and then on the next day's City, with all downline connections adjusted,

I don't think that you can count on having a sleeper the next day. I think that it is possible to end up in coach if the next day's sleepers are sold out.

Mark

Posts: 102 | From: Fort Worth,TX,USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark,
Actually I thought that and asked the rep and she said exactly what you said, coach if no sleeper available.

Now, she may have been just blowing smoke but she went on to say that if it were only 1 or 2 passengers affected, they would request (not require) crew members to double up for the run and give the passengers the option of sleeping in the crew's quarters.

Gosh, I don't know if that's true, but it sure would be a great stride towards superb customer service!

[This message has been edited by Kairho (edited 04-19-2002).]

Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scaredrider
Member # 1566

Rate Member
Thank-you for your responses. I am very glad to hear that a train is not the same motion as a car. Also, he (the four-year old) won't be strapped to his booster seat watching the back of the seat in front of him for hours on end. I think that will be a big help. I am seeing the pediatrician next week to try to get some "liquid dramamine" for him, and sea-bands, and anything else I can find.

I was told by Amtrak (several times since I ask this all the time) that if you "miss a connection", you will be placed on a train (maybe the next day) they will pay for a hotel for that night, but the chances of getting a sleeper on the next train is very very very remote. Also, if the train breaks down in between cities, they bus you to wherever. I hate buses! That's why I am worried about this.

I would like to reschedule the San Diego to Los Angeles ride because of the tight schedule, but I am afraid that they will charge me another 130.00 to change the tickets.

I already had to do this once because I found out that the return trip through New Orleans was a non-smoking train (I did ask about this before, but the phone representative kept reasurring me that ALL long-distance trains have a smoking car.) Then I decided to check ONE MORE TIME (I've called Amtrak about 30 times), and was informed that the LA to New Orleans train was indeed non-smoking. My husband is a smoker, and a work-a-holic. To deal with having the kids 24 hours, and not smoking would have made him a lunatic (see, I am trying to accomodate everyone.) Anyhow, I payed 130.00 to change the route coming back to be the same on the South West Chief. I certainly hope my husband can find someplace to sedate himself on Nicotine on that train.

Like I said, this is a huge trip for us. Maybe it was too big a step for people who have never ridden on a train before, but since my father in San Diego is ailing, it has to be done. I've wanted to do this for three years, so I have scrimped and saved. I hope we will be okay.

Ken V
Member # 1466

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Ken V     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry to hear about your father. Otherwise, it looks like your trip has been very well planned. You should have no problem with connections.

As a nicotine addict I understand about smoking vs. non-smoking trains. I have travelled on the Southwest Chief and there is indeed a smoking car on the train although it's no treat for the other passengers in that car. The lower-level smoking room is ventilated to the outside but a lot of the smoke still finds its way upstairs. On some trains, like the Crescent, there is no specially designed area and smoking is restricted to certain hours in the lounge car.

Posts: 149 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are gonna have a great trip. Don't sweat the connection in LA to the San Diegan train. There's a train every hour or so & if you miss one you can just get the next one. You can also detrain in Fullerton & make your connection there. You might want to plan that on one leg of the trip & in the Fullerton station you can stop by the offices of trainweb (our sponsor) & say HI. They might even get a picture of you all & post it here. Guess it depends on how busy they are. They're a great group there anyway. Relax & plan on having a great trip.
Reggie

BTW as you will notice on the bottom of this post it shows editted, the way you do tat is go to your original post & at the top you will see an edit icon, just click on it & you can go back to your message & change or add to it.
Reggie

[This message has been edited by reggierail (edited 04-19-2002).]

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1ring2bind
Member # 1571

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1ring2bind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Kairho: I believe the City of New Orleans is the continuation of the Empire Builder. It just changes names when it passes through Chicago. Hence, there's no chance you could miss this connection.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a couple comments -- I can confirm what others have said about connections in Chicago and in L.A./Fullerton -- you should not have any problems with those connections. As far as the smoking/nonsmoking problem -- I am not a smoker, but many trains which are considered "non-smoking" trains will announce several "smoking stops" enroute, where those passengers who wish to smoke can get off the train while it is stopped at a station for a few minutes. In the sleeping cars, you shouldn't have much of a problem with smoke.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisybumble
Member # 855

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for daisybumble     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scaredrider, don't panic if your trip doesn't go exactly as planned. As with any other kind of travel, delays can happen. Just be prepared for this...if you expect delays, you'll be elated if your trains run on time (or even arrive early). Bring stuff to keep your kids occupied, and don't forget to do the same for you and your husband (reading material, deck of cards, etc.) From what I've heard, you can safely plug in a laptop on the train. If you have a cel phone, bring it to keep in touch with your folks and let them know if you're going to be late...just keep in mind that your phone may not get a signal all the time, especially if you're out in the middle of nowhere. Make your calls when passing through populated areas. Train travel is far more relaxing and civilized that air travel...even if you're delayed en route, you can still move around, use the bathroom, get food and drink, etc. If you're in a sleeper, there's usually extra services to help make up for a delay. We were late coming back to WAS on the Capitol Limited last summer, and we were served very nice sandwiches when there wasn't supposed to be lunch service on that train. Enjoy!
Posts: 53 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joefamily
Member # 892

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for joefamily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You and your family are going to love this trip! For the kids, it's a carnival ride that lasts for days. Most of the time you'll hardly know you're moving. My wife is claustrophobic so we went coach and made it just fine with 2 kids, 6 & 4. Take a gameboy and the favorite games for the kids. One of the things we didn't think about was that there would be other kids on the train so they would soon find a friend and play. That may be the downside of the sleeper. We were on the Tx Eagle, Empire Builder, Coast Starlight and Sunset Limited. Met lots of great people and saw the some of the most magnificent scenery, especially the Cascades. Have a great trip and don't worry about a thing. I'll never take an overnight trip by car again if a train can get me there.
Posts: 22 | From: Little Rock, AR | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scaredrider
Member # 1566

Rate Member
Yikes! I have another question to avoid claustrophobia. In my book, and on the phone, I have asked whether or not we can "walk the length of the train" to get a little excercise (mostly again for the 4-year-old with me along of course.) I was assured that this was okay. Also, your comment about meeting other children was interesting. I was hoping that this would happen. However, my question is: How isolated are the people in the sleepers? This goes against my other post about riff-raff on the train, but I would like to mingle. My two older kids "fight like cats and dogs" and I was hoping that they might be able to strike up a friendship with other kids on the long journey. How confined are you in the sleepers? I hear that there is sometimes a wait in the lounge cars, so they are not always accesible. If they do meet a friend who is in coach, can they invite them to play in our room? Can we walk around the rest of the train? Can we walk around in the coach sections? Is it like on the plane where the people are separated by a curtain, and never see each other? I know that these are stupid questions, but I have this picture in my mind about train travel (good picture), and I would like it to be realistic as possible. Thanks for any help again. All of your post are so very nice and concise. I am very sorry if I ramble. Thank-you all for your patience with me. I really truly appreciate all of your replies.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To reiterate me 20APR0533 reply at "Ms. Scared" other thread "Web Pictures..", The Sleeping Cars are always placed at either the head or rear of the train. They are generally "off limits" to coach passengers, although should one of your children "strike it up" with another, they likely would not be barred from visiting your room.

Last summer on the "Lake Shore" (your NY-Chgo train) I invited two young people with whom I shared a dining car table to see my Sleeping Car. On entering the car, I simply said to the attendant "They're with me"; end of story.

So, "Ms Scared", don't worry; enjoy the trip. You have the "penthouse" of accomodations, and thus can have whatever level of privacy you desire. You can even have "room service" for meals if you wish (please tip properly/$10-$15 per day; depending on how much "gofering" you ask for). Enjoy your trip; tell us all about it, and hopefully you will choose to amend your registration with a different "handle" such as "happyrider".

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CarterB
Member # 1439

Rate Member
As First Class passengers, you have access to the entire public areas of the train (coach, lounge, diner, sleepers). You can invite 'friends' back to your sleeper room as well. (just be mindful that you must be courteous of others re: noise levels)
At times, the lounge may be crowded, however I have never found that to be a chronic condition.
The Sleeping cars are a bit 'isolated' however it is easy access to other cars on the length of the train. You don't want to let the 4 yr old 'run amok' alone through the train especially through the vestibules.
Like any other 'public' area, your children must exercise safety cautions and consideration of others.
I have travelled extensively with my two children when they were ages 2-17 and never had a problem. They always looked forward to train trips, and enjoyed both the sleeper rooms as well as other areas of the train and made 'freinds' on each trip.
Again, having two deluxe rooms 'en suite' is like having a nice sized 'living room on wheels'. No mode of travel I can think of other than a private business car or Falcon Jet could be more enjoyable!!

MsMariaH
Member # 1592

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MsMariaH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find, that after riding a train for
long periods of time, that after you
get off, you still feel as if you are
on the train. What I do, is sit for a
little bit, after I get off the train,
that way those feelings go away.

------------------
Maria Hart, Hi to all
Delphi Railroad Forum
Members

Posts: 1 | From: Denver, CO United States | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisybumble
Member # 855

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for daisybumble     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scaredrider, to add to what others have said to answer your questions...
1. Usually, the dining and lounge cars are between the sleepers and coach cars. While coach riders are not allowed in sleepers, sleeper passengers can pretty much go wherever they want to.
2. You may have already read this, but I just want to stress the importance of safety when walking through the train. Make sure that your kids always wear shoes, and that they don't run through the train. While walking, remember that the train can sway and make unexpected movements...it's normal, but you don't want to lose your balance. There are plently of things to hold on to to steady yourself - seat backs, hand rails, etc. Also keep in mind that some doors between train cars open with handles, others have a panel to push that opens the door automatically.

Posts: 53 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always found train travel to be much more relaxing than an airplane. I rode the Coast Starlight from LA to Seattle a few months ago first class and it was a great experience. I didn't find the sleeper to be isolating at all, and I could walk the length of the train. Service was excellent and the crew was always happy to answer any questions. Riding the train is a great way to meet people and see the country.
Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vline
Member # 1132

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for vline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Scaredrider, although I am an Aussie, I can speak with some authority having travelled over 15,000 miles on Amtrak on one holiday alone.
I usually book an economy bedroom (sleeps 1) comfortably. I have travelled on Amtrak trains, where, I have met such wonderful & interesting fellow passengers that, at the end of the journey, I was reluctant to leave the train & rejoin the "real world" again.
Don't stress about the wonderful journey you are about to undertake. Sit back, relax, put on a pound or two from the scrumptious real food you will eat, and be grateful there is such a civilised way to travel in todays world where, sadly, speed is the absolute essence of everything to many people.
I also hope all goes well with your folks, "out west." Mike, In Melbourne, Australia.

Posts: 60 | From: Ballan, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To all of the previous excellent postings, I will just add one thing. A long-distance train is much more than a mere vehicle. It is best described as a village on wheels. There is a real sense of community among passengers and crew. The lounge car is the village square and the diner is the local pub. Coaches and sleepers are the residential neighborhoods.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"To all of the previous excellent postings, I will just add one thing. A long-distance train is much more than a mere vehicle. It is best described as a village on wheels. There is a real sense of community among passengers and crew. The lounge car is the village square and the diner is the local pub. Coaches and sleepers are the residential neighborhoods."

Very well said, Mr. Toy.

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. A sleeper. Not just a sleeper, either, the Deluxe accomodations. One of these years I'll get in one and be able to tell you what it's like.
Smoking: On western trains I've heard this is accomplished in the lower level of a coach. For the trains of the east, you have two options, at least on long distance trains. The first is the worse of the two, and that will occur if you have a spare or substitute lounge car on your train. In this scenario you will have designated smoking hours in the lounge, or if you are alert, your husband can ask the Conductor or attendant if he may smoke on the platform at station stops. Pay attention to the stations which have separate arrival and departure times listed on the timetable. Many of us nonsmokers try to hit the platform every once in a while on a trip to get a better impression of the areas the train is traveling through. Various station buildings have historical value. Don't stray too far and they'll usually try to accomodate your request. The second scenario is what I have noticed occuring more and more lately (despite the equipment shortages!) and your train will have an overhauled lounge car in its consist. This car will have a completely isolated smoking lounge area in a third of the car. I'm usually picky about smokers and the smoky smell, but I couldn't smell anything walking by this area! These rooms will have plastic windows with state seals emblazoned on them and an Amtrak route map next to them. Every once in a while, when you get the "where are we" or "are we there yet?" treatment, take a hike to this map and point out where you are. An atlas will help in this position too.
I think how your son takes it depends on the son. Some will be amazed at the sensation and experience, and others will just decide to be cranky. I think it's an incredibly educational experience, as I always say, this is the real way to travel. Real people, real food, real scenery, real legroom (I'm a coacher so far) and real food. Your first night may or may not include as much sleep as you are accustomed to. Remind yourself you will sleep like a baby (all three of you!) your second night. There are many things I never learned in school from textbooks that I would find out on my first train trip. I hope your son does what I still do for my first train ride: sit in the coach seat for hours on end and literally stare out the window. Don't worry about this. I like to travel by train because I enjoy watching the country roll by.
Don't forget to use the lounge car. Your sleeper is your hotel room, not a jail cell. I see far too many passengers thinking that they spent so much money to get the sleeper that they're glued in there. This is a very long trip for your first journey by rail. Keep in mind you are taking a trip many of us have not yet been able to do no matter how much I want to.
The usual safety briefing: be careful boarding at your stations, and use the handles when walking between cars. Walking the length of the train is great exercise, but don't try to walk quickly until you get your "train legs" developed, especially on CSX track. I find a wider leg stance works, as does looking forward and away from the floor while you walk.
If you run into problems (or recieve extraordinary service, hopefully more of this,) get the names of your crewmembers for later. Aside from that, enjoy your trip! Remember it's safe, comfortable, and enjoyable. If an airline guaranteed me an enjoyable trip, do you think they would hand out more than eight mini-pretzels for lunch?

------------------
F40PH #757099-8
March 29, 1976-November 18, 2001
P42DC #53063
November 18, 2001-???

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those last few posts, I do believe, capture very well in words the mystique of rail travel. When I rode the Coast Starlight to Seattle, the train became very much a community, a little city on wheels. On a train, it's very normal just to walk up to someone in the lounge car and start a conversation. That never happens on a plane. Of course, the Starlight has the Pacific Parlour Car, that is a lounge reserved exclusively for first class passengers and is unique to that train. It is second to none. Another thing that is quite fun is the narrative of the journey the crew gives several times a day over the PA system. The food is excellent, and there is no other mode of transportation where you can sit down in a real restaurant and literally watch the world pass by as you eat. Being on the ground, you feel like you're connected to the places you pass through, unlike in the air, where everything just seems to blend together and look the same. The train is an atmosphere and a world of its own, where life slows down to the pace it should be lived at. Outside, the world continues at a hectic pace, but in the train, in the lounge, diner, or in your compartment or coach seat, your worries couldn't seem farther, and for a few brief hours, the world is more wonderful. At the journey's end, you wish you could continue, for leaving the train is leaving a unique community, a world of its own on wheels.

In short, don't worry. Time stands still when you're on a train.

Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Dunham
Member # 924

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Dunham   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My four older kids--all teenagers now--got carsick all the time when they were little. If we were in the car more than about half an hour they would usually throw up. We also took them on short train rides, long train rides, and they never got motion sickness on the train. It wouldn't hurt to bring some Dramamine--if you don't need it, great; if you do, where can you go shopping after you're on board?

------------------
Steve Dunham
Literalman@aol.com
http://www.stevedunham.50megs.com/

Posts: 77 | From: Spotsylvania, VA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAChooChoo
Member # 723

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for JAChooChoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a suggestion that I don't think has been made concerning motion sickness - a Trial Run.

Amtrak operates twice-daily day trains between Raleigh, Cary, Durham, Burlington, Greensboro, High Point, Salisbury, Kannapolis, and Charlotte.

Posts: 29 | From: Baltimore MD | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page