RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Memorable car attendants

Author Topic: Memorable car attendants
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiebreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the most memorable for me was when the Starlight finally rolled into the Martinez station about 3 or 4 a.m., where we had waited for hours to catch the southbound to L.S.

Asleep on our feet, we gratefully rushed to our car, only to find the doors closed. No attendants in sight. In desperation we banged on the doors, yelled and danced around the platform. Finally, after an interminable amout of time, he finally appeared, nonplussed, saying he was taking a nap.

Posts: 133 | From: Florida, U.S.A. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the attendents I've encountered over the years have been adequate at best. None have gone out of their way to provide outstanding service.

However, my most "memorable" was the weasel I encountered on the eastbound Empire Builder, a few years ago, who suggested I was perfectly capable of making up my own bed before turning in for the night. This was after I'd overheard him say exactly the same thing to the elderly passengers in the roomette next door.

When I declined to do his job for him, he pulled a serious attitude, sullenly threw the bed together. . . and then promptly disappeared until nearly noon the next day.

However, he must have had amnesia. The following night, he tried to pull the same "you know, it's really easy to make up your own bed" routine all over again.

During the entire 2210 mile trip, the clown never once made coffee. He never put out any juices or bottled water. The refreshment station at the top of the stairs remained bare; the plastic-sealed boxes of water and juice remained stacked in an empty roomette with the door closed.

On the rare occasions when he was around, he simply instructed passengers to "go help yourself." My Swiss Army knife definitely came in handy for cutting through the plastic shrink wrap to get at the bottles.

And whenever a paper towel or toilet paper dispenser in one of the rest rooms ran out? You guessed it. It stayed empty (I won't attempt to describe the state of the toilets by the time the train pulled into Chicago).

No, I didn't tip him. Yes, I complained to Amtrak, by phone and letter. An apology from customer service is all I received (and this was during the era of the "satisfaction guarantee").

My guess is that the guy is still out there, working hard at trying to sweet-talk passengers into doing his job for him.

----------------------

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have 3, Larry Picard on the Capital. We have ridden with him for 12-13 years. He stops by our room and says "you don't need a wake up call,here are the extra sheets and blankets (we share the bottom bunk but like separate sheet and blankets), here's an extra water, and I'll send the steward down so you can get the first seating at dinner". (2) is Nathan also on the capital. I had developed a horrible cough in Denver andI sounded like a seal in trouble to say nothing about how miserable I felt. Nathan took charge.Not only did he bring all our meals to us but he came in every little while to ask if I wanted hot tea and since lying down was impossible he fixed the chair with extra pillows and blankets,put suitcases up for my feet so Icould be comfortable and try to sleep. (3)Gwen on the CZ. Same problems with the cough(same trip)She remembered me from previous trips and couldn't have been more concerned, She also brought me hot tea and insisted I follow her dirctions which really did help. Then we got on the Capital and there she was as a passenger going back home to DC. She came down to our room to see how I was and told Nathan to go get me hot tea which she then put a cough drop in .It did help some. How can one ever forget these wonderful people?
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dixie Breeze, when I was catching the Coast Starlight north in Sacramento, going coach, station personnel put all us Portland-bound coach passengers (and maybe other Oregon-bound ones) in one group, to board one car, while Seattle and other passengers went elsewhere. Mercifully, the CS was not too late getting into Sacramento, just a little after 1AM when it was due around midnight, but still, people were tired and wanted to sack out. But the doors of our car didn't open. And they didn't open. And they didn't open. Apparently, our coach attendant was fast asleep! Finally, another coach attendant woke him and the doors opened . . . and wow, he LOOKED really sleepy too.

This was all kind of surprising, since Sacramento is such a busy stop. I wonder if he is still employed with Amtrak!

I would not say he is the most memorabe car attendant I ever had, though.

Maybe the most memorable attendant I ever had was on a sleeper to Florida, a really accommodating young man (I've forgotten his name) originally from Syracuse, NY, but living in Florida now (or, at the time of my trip) and happy to live away from the winter snows. He was just a fantastic attendant, went above and beyond the call of duty to accommodate all the passengers.

But I've experienced lots of nice attendants, especially in the sleepers. Also, a few rude ones--not in the sleepers. Generally in the dining car, in fact (esp the FL bound trains).

But the most memorably rude attendant I ever had was last summer when I boarded the early morning Pacific Surfliner in San Luis Obispo. It was my first time on a Surfliner, and not being familiar with the setup, I had assumed I could leave my luggage downstairs and sit upstairs, as I do on other 2-level Amtrak trains. But the attendant would not let me, nor would she let me sit downstairs because I wasn't really handicapped, just have a bad back. When I told the attendant I could not get my bags up the stairs, she was incredibly snippy and said, "well, I guess you should not have packed such a heavy bag!" Since I was on one small leg of a 3 week cross-country trip culminating in Sunset Ltd and Lakeshore Ltd home "the long way," I'm afraid I did need SOME luggage! Luckily, the friend I was traveling with was able to lug my bag up the stairs. I guess that's why they call it luggage.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had lots of good car attendants, so many I really can't remember who was the best -- and a few really sorry excuses for human beings.

In my experience it has been the operating crew -- conductors and assistant conductors -- who vary the most in attitude and helpfulness. Once on the Zephyr I approached a conductor working at his papers in the dining car and said, "May I ask you a question?" He looked up in irritation and replied, "What now?" "Never mind," I said. He was clearly having a bad day and in no mood to deal with passengers.

Then there was the conductor last month on Train 448 from Albany to Boston. The kindly station attendant at Albany had brought me down to the train early since she knew I was deaf and could not hear announcements, and she informed the conductor of that fact.

All the way to Boston, the conductor stopped by my seat several times to tell me why the train had been stopped (once to wait for 449 to pass in single-track territory, once for a freight) and how many minutes we had lost and what time we were expected to arrive at Back Bay station. He made sure I did not miss a single announcement.
I should have gotten his name and sent compliments to Amtrak.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only 'bad apples" I've had have been on that New York based train "not exactly' known for its 'exemplary" on-board service. That of course in none other than The Lake Shore Limited.

Indifferent ones here and there? who hasn't.

But the ripe apples I have had along the way are the ones I remember - the ones that have my customary $5 Roomette tip raised to $10 because they were there and I was greatful to have their acquaintance.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A pity that we are more likely to remember the really awful attendants than the really special ones.

I remember being favorably impressed by the wait staff on a westbound California Zephyr in 2006. The entire staff was efficient and pleasant....very young also. I could only conclude that they hadn't been on the job long enough to get jaded by hordes of people who can't be pleased no matter what. It was before the summer tourist season too so I don't think they had encountered any crowds yet.

For a memorably bad attendant experience (and I say experience because the attendant was not entirely at fault) I have to go back to the Empire Builder in 1998. My wife and I were returning from our honeymoon and boarded the eastbound builder in Whitefish. To save a little money we were riding coach as far as Minot, ND. The train was very crowded and the only place they could seat us together was in the lower level of one of the coaches. We appreciated that they made the effort....

In the same lower level compartment was an elderly gentleman who was already unhappy with the car attendant and who badgered the car attendant incessantly. Too hot. Too cold. Part of the issue was that the passenger was diabetic and had legitimate health concerns. Turns out the car attendant was ALSO diabetic and tried sympathizing with the passenger......even offered to help him check his blood sugar. No dice.....passenger seemed to prefer behaving in a very cranky way.

Finally, after being unloaded on several times, the attendant just disappeared. We didn't see him the rest of the day and I can't say that I blame him.

Leaving Havre the just boarded new conductor blundered into our area and the passenger chipped at him "You the one in charge here? I got a problem."

New conductor, trying to placate, says "I'll go find your car attendant."

The passenger replies with full venom "No. The car attendant IS my problem."

Shortly after that my wife and I escaped to the lounge car and stayed there the rest of the way to Minot. We never did see the car attendant again.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seattle Shue
Member # 4363

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seattle Shue         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here’s a very funny car attendant story for you…

My first sleeper car experience was on the Coast Starlight, boarding in Seattle on Christmas Eve morning bound for Salinas, California. I was crazy excited, having done all my previous long distance trips in coach. I don’t recall the name of the attendant, but she was very friendly.

Not long after we pulled out of Seattle I realized just how exhausted I was. I really was like a little kid the night before this trip, too excited to sleep! So there I was in my little roomette, realizing that I could actually enjoy a nap lying down in a real bed… what a marvelous treat.

Deciding to test out the upper bunk for my inaugural snooze, I pulled it open only to find sheets that were quite rumpled. Well being the sleeper car novice that I was, I quickly decided that “oh well, maybe the sheets just get all messed up like that cause they’re folded up in the bed”. And off I went for a glorious nap.

When I woke up several hours later, I realized that there was something wrapped around my foot. Well the something wrapped around my foot turned out to be a…well…ahem…a GIRDLE that had obviously been left behind by the previous inhabitant! I was briefly horrified, but then started to laugh, mainly at myself for actually thinking that seriously rumpled sheets on the bed were normal!

So then I had to explain the situation to the attendant and horrified doesn’t begin to explain her reaction. She was understandably mortified that she had missed changing a room even though I tried to assure her that it really was quite funny in my eyes. She seemed like a pleasant and friendly person to everyone, but don’t you know I was treated like royalty for the rest of that trip.

I wanted to tip her as my trip had been such a wonderful experience, but she adamantly refused. We had one last laugh and then a warm goodbye as I left the train in Salinas.

Since that trip I’ve had car attendants who were quite the opposite of that friendly lady… surly and extremely unhelpful. I’ve always felt lucky that my first sleeper car experience was such a good one, and I credit the attendant for being such a big part of that, stray girdle and all!

Posts: 31 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladylawyer
Member # 2653

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladylawyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
California Zephyr...Bob Heath, "as in the candy bar."
Posts: 33 | From: Fair Oaks, CA US | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiebreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back when they still had onboard chiefs, there was just a super, super one on the Sunset. I regret I can't recall his name (it was Polish, he told me that). He was just so accommodating and even let me use his private phone to call home about a family matter. I wrote to Amtrak and told them how wonderful he was. Wish I knew what happened to him.
Posts: 133 | From: Florida, U.S.A. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the attendents in the sleepers I ve had were fine. Some were more outgoing friendly and helpful than others,but I have not had any really bad sleeper attendents.

Two that stand out are Julie(like the automated agent)on the Sunset.We were having all kinds of delays and she was never too busy to explain to passengers what was happening when they asked. Another was a fellow named Chloey Atkins on the Texas Eagle. Not sure if he is still there, but I had him twice and his infectuous laugh and great humor made my trip very pleasent. How can you forget a guy with a name like Chloey?

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had Julie on our recent Sunset trip and I agree, she was excellent. So far haven't had a bad attendent but some certainly are less attentive than others.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
In the same lower level compartment was an elderly gentleman who was already unhappy with the car attendant and who badgered the car attendant incessantly. Too hot. Too cold. Part of the issue was that the passenger was diabetic and had legitimate health concerns. Turns out the car attendant was ALSO diabetic and tried sympathizing with the passenger......even offered to help him check his blood sugar. No dice.....passenger seemed to prefer behaving in a very cranky way.

Sounds like the old guy was, as they say, "enjoying ill health." This is close to home. My father developed diabetes while I was in high school. Lived with it for over 20 years. It was always, along with other health problems he developed later in life, treated as simply a background fact to be dealt with as required, like your height or other factor that can affect your activities (I mention height because we have a quite short friend who can't reach her own ceiling light bulbs even standing on a two step ladder. When we visit, I do her light bulbs.) with minimal make an issue of it. But have seen others that treated it or other, even lesser health problems like a major cross to bear.

I see no reason someone has to dramatize their problems. Most people have something they must deal with, so why make an issue of yours? I hope to follow my father's example if ever in a similar situation.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ladylawyer mentioned Bob Heath, a Zephyr sleeper attendant. I second the motion. I have not seen him since 1995 or 1996 and often wonder what became of him.

Also Reggie Howard, who in the mid-90s was a Zephyr train chief when Amtrak still had the chiefs program. I heard that he had gone back to sleepers after Amtrak killed the chiefs program. Anyone encounter him? He was an extraordinary fellow.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't help thinking that Dilly had the same attendant ("Karl") on the Empire Builder that I had last year. Hardly saw him for the whole two days and nights, left us to do our own beds, couldn't give a hoot that I had a faulty lock and no water in my shower but lo and behold he appeared all smiling about ten minutes before Portland offering to help people down with their luggage. Think again, Sunshine, only one out of ten in our sleeper tipped him and that one wasn't me. I had spoken to the dining-car staff about him and they said they disliked him as much as the passengers! I wrote to Amtrak to complain about him and the problem with the facilities and to be fair they refunded me the difference between a bedroom and an ordinary sleeper as I couldn't use my bathroom and had to use the communal facilities. But to put it in context, he was the only bad sleeper attendant one out of the six I have encountered so far.

Best sleeper attendant? A delightful little Vietnamese man on the Coast Starlight. Whereas "Karl" ought to have been hung, this gentleman was literally "Mr Hung". Other good ones were "Mark" on the Capitol and "Sharon" on the Sunset Ltd.

Best cafe-car attendant was a shortish bearded man (can't remember his name unfortunately but all he needed was the hat and he would have looked a bit like a less-whiskery Yosemite Sam)on the Zephyr in 2002. He opened from 6 in the morning until midnight with just two short meal breaks, had an amazing sense of humour, understood exactly what serving the public was supposed to mean and man, I've never seen a tips jar so bulging with money in all my life!

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Kisor, when traveling on the CZ Omaha-Grand Junction and back last March, my daughter and I had a great sleeping car attendant whose name was Reggie, both directions. He even arranged for us to upgrade from coach on the way back. One of the best. He was a tall black man. Could this have been your Reggie?
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Yes, that could well have been Reggie Howard. He is the son and grandson of railroaders -- I believe they were Pullman attendants and dining car chefs -- and has railroading deep in his blood. Whenever he had a quiet moment he would tell stories his dad and granddad had told him. He could write a book, that fellow.

When I was traveling the CZ for my book, I watched a couple of times as Reggie collected the children aboard and led them somewhere (to the crew dorm, I think) for fun and games for an hour or so to let their parents relax. He was a tall, tall Pied Piper.

Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good thread! My most memorable train attendant is me. Having had some bad ones, I figured I could do better, so I filled out an ap and hired on about 1980. It's funny, I know most of the ones referred to in the thread, at least the west-based ones. The Polish Chief, yes, one of Amtrak's best and a joy to work with. Mr. Hung is actually Chinese (Cantonese) not Vietnamese, just to clear that up. Now for my story of the worst TA ever, in my mind...I would love to tell you his name, but won't. Every train he worked on, he would lower the service level and cause dozens of on-board complaints. Crews could not stand working with him. He never, ever loaded a towel dispenser while working with me. His people would use my section, because it was "cleaner." (Which doubled my work load.) When we once advised Mr. X that all his restrooms had no paper, he simply said: "Let them use their hands." Such hatred of one's fellow humans was rare, in my experience. To hire a guy like this into a sensitive customer service job was inexcusible; I give Amtrak at least some of the blame for letting guys like these in, and not firing them after the service pattern is clearly seen, and union and company channels are followed. But many try their best (as seen in some of the posts) and it shows. Some have stacks of unsolicited positive customer letters inches think. It's surely not the job for certain personality types-- haters should not apply.
For some, it "goes against their grain" to simply "be of service."

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't resist adding my "horror" story. In the 90s we encountered an attendant named Henry on the CZ. He spent his timein the diner flirting with the women. He would appear at 9pm and announce "if I don't put your beds down now I will do it when I feel like it.'" The dirty linens were tossed down the stairs so it was worth your life to try to walk up or down them. The bathrooms were never stocked. Finally I complained to the Chief as I was afraid of falling on the stairs. Henry came screaming at me How dare I Complain about him. I assurred him it was very easy. When we got to Denver there were sheets back on the stairs and Henry was no where to be found. The young couple across from us with whom we had become friendly carried our bags all the way into the station. They were from the Netherlands and have since gotten married, have a son and now live in Norway. We have kept in touch all these years. At any rate Maria wrote me that Henry was just as miserable the rest of the trip. He refused to get her another blanket when she said she was cold. He got very nasty. I wrote quite a letter to customer relations and we never did see him again. I don't know if he was aboard another train.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Railroad Bob, about the worst TA ever that you mentioned. I have to wonder if it was a man named "Donald" working the CS. He was downright mean and didn't care at all about his passengers -- especially the female ones, for some reason. Unfortunately, I was stuck him on one trip both directions between LA and Portland.
ladylawyer
Member # 2653

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladylawyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Kisor...I ran into Bob Heath, both coming and going on the Zephyr back in 2003. At that time, he had in 30 years with Amtrak. He made my first trip a great one!
Posts: 33 | From: Fair Oaks, CA US | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gregbkc
Member # 3726

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gregbkc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A tip of the hat to all the fine sleeper attentants I have run across on the SW Chief. (and one on the Empire Builder) While no particular story involved, I will never forget my first attentant Shirley who kept us entertained and accomodated on her well run car.
Posts: 34 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all, Awsome Topic!

I've only ridden sleeper once, on the return trip from TrainWeb's 10th' Anvsry. in La Plata MO., I think here name was Christena-not sure-She was real nice and made the trip nice and easy, I never had a bad attendant, in sleeper or in coach, all ether average or above average sofar

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AHALL
Member # 3515

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AHALL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if Henry on the CZ is the same Henry I had on the EB in 1996. He was terrible. At Portland, he introduced himself and told us to go to the lounge and get our free evening meal. There were no towels, so he gave me the key to open the cabinet downstairs, and I distributed them to the whole sleeper. He told us that the beds were "easy to put down." He would disappear for hours, even other staff asked us in his sleeper if "we had seen Henry."

I wasn't going to let him ruin a train trip, so we laughed about him, and I tried to help others who needed the help. In Chicago, I had no intention of tipping him, but he departed the train before it even came to a stop and was gone, and yes, we all got our bags off the racks. He supposedly lived in Michigan, I was told by later attendants on the EB that he is now "gone."

For the most part, my experiences have been good, sometimes being "nice" to a car attendant makes the difference, they have to deal with some unpleasant and demanding passengers and a kind word triggers the same response.

Posts: 76 | From: Steubenville, OH | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AHALL
Member # 3515

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AHALL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if Henry on the CZ is the same Henry I had on the EB in 1996. He was terrible. At Portland, he introduced himself and told us to go to the lounge and get our free evening meal. There were no towels, so he gave me the key to open the cabinet downstairs, and I distributed them to the whole sleeper. He told us that the beds were "easy to put down." He would disappear for hours, even other staff asked us in his sleeper if "we had seen Henry."

I wasn't going to let him ruin a train trip, so we laughed about him, and I tried to help others who needed the help. In Chicago, I had no intention of tipping him, but he departed the train before it even came to a stop and was gone, and yes, we all got our bags off the racks. He supposedly lived in Michigan, I was told by later attendants on the EB that he is now "gone."

For the most part, my experiences have been good, sometimes being "nice" to a car attendant makes the difference, they have to deal with some unpleasant and demanding passengers and a kind word triggers the same response.

Posts: 76 | From: Steubenville, OH | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob Heath was my car attendant on my first-ever sleeper trip on the CZ in 2001. He remains a shining star in my memory. One of the other attendants told me (in jest) that he (Bob) was so tall that they used him to dust the ceiling of the cars (with his hair).

Also memorable was Sprite on the LSL back when there was a Boston sleeper. Sprite was his real name, too, not a nickname!

On my last trip, Louie Martinez on the CS was delightful. No doubt about it - friendly, helpful attendants really make the trip special!

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
AHAll, we may well be talking about the same henry. This is the right time frame and I hope there aren't two Henrys so miserable. Yours sounds like you could be describing mine
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On our vacation trip last summer, on the Southwest Chief from Flagstaff to Chicago, we also had a sleeper attendant named "Henry," but he was a very good attendant, quite helpful, and even gave some running "commentary" of the places we passed on the train now and then -- he must be a different Henry then the bozo you guys are talking about........
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob from MA
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob from MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two excellent car attendants that I would mention in this thread:

Kevin Grisham: sleeper car attendant on the Boston section of the Lake Shore Ltd. Made announcements over the PA system in the car - kept supplies in good order - brought goodies of his own onto the train - remembered my wife and me on subsequent trips. When the sleeper was dropped from that section, he went elsewhere. Last saw him in Portland, OR in June '05 as a coach attendant on the EB. Said he was looking for a job outside of Amtrak.

Pete Delnero: Sleeper attendant on the CZ - last had him in summer '02 - definitely knew his job - frequently came around to sleeper compartment to ask if we needed anything. Announced when he was leaving the car temporarily.

I wrote to Amtrak praising both of these men at the time.

Posts: 127 | From: Worcester, Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim
Member # 65

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all, I get a little puzzled with those who don't care for the LSL crews. Maybe I have been lucky, but I've always had good luck with the employees on this train.
BEST DINING CAR WAITER: Man named Zane. Consistently bent over backwards to meet the needs of the customers. When we made a special request regarding a substitution of a side at breakfast, for example, "we aren't supposed to do that but I'll see what I can do" - and he took care of us.
BEST COACH ATTENDANT: Ms. Martinez. (Can't remember her first name.) Kept the coach we were in (including the restrooms) spotless. Every half hour she came through with gloves on her hand and picked up litter, then cleaned the rest rooms. EVERY half hour!
BEST LOUNGE ATTENDANT: Mr. Love. I don't think I've seen someone who loved his job as much as this man. There was a group of teenagers traveling, and the LSL was running late. The teens were having a delightful time; he was telling jokes... one of the chaperones was talking to another; I overheard them comment on how wonderful he was.
BEST SLEEPING CAR ATTENDANT: Tough one... I've had so many good ones! Probably a guy named Mr. Finnegan. Again, one who consistently went the "extra mile."

ALL of the above were aboard the Lake Shore Limited!

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page