RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » How are the LD trains these days?

Author Topic: How are the LD trains these days?
mho357
Member # 1204

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for mho357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not ridden an Amtrak long distance train since the fall of 2002. We are planning a trip for this summer on 21/22 but my wife is worried about the potential for a bad experience (mostly because the system has been so underfunded for so long).

The last time we rode as a family it was a two week trip on a number of different trains. We had a fabulous time.

How have things fared over the last several years? Can we expect things to be at least as good as in 2002?

I know that this is an open ended question but I welcome all opinions.

Thanks,

Mark

Posts: 102 | From: Fort Worth,TX,USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As per my recent post, I just had a great time on a long trip involving 3 LD routes. All connections made, no bustitution, satisfactory food service, everything in good repair, friendly efficient on-board service and good passenger morale and comraderie. And then there is the incredible country that we live in - viewed up close. The key thing is to not be in a hurry, expect delays and plan them into your itinerary. What a way to go!!!
Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll find that the experience hasn't changed significantly. In Amtrak sleeping cars, "complimentary" carbonated soft drinks are no longer offered (although bottled water, juices, and coffee are still provided). In Amtrak dining cars (some are now combined diner/lounges), "deluxe" plastic plates and cups have replaced the china.

Minor changes, to be sure.

Obviously, you had the gods on your side during the multi-train trip you took several years ago. While it's true that your train may depart and/or arrive late this time around, the odds of it happening are about the same as they were when you last traveled on Amtrak.

In other words, you could have a wonderful trip on Tuesday's Texas Eagle. Travel two days later and you might find yourself on board the Train From Hell.

It all comes down to the luck of the draw, just as it did in 2002.

------------------

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just finished a trip from Missouri to Albuquerque and back. The superliners are showing their age, and onboard service quality can range from excellent to poor depending on the person.

The Southwest Chief and Empire Builder tend to run consistently on time. Most other LD timkeeping has deteriorated lately, especially the Zephyr west of Denver and service between CHI and the east coast.

The EB and Auto train still have traditional diner service, but the rest of the system has gone to plastic plates, paper tablecloths, and reheatable pre-prepared entrees. Diner staff is reduced. Some choices aren't to bad. A fellow diner who ordered pizza said he wished he'd ordered the Angus Burger I had.

Overall the trains I was on were kept clean. Some conductors made many nice announcements and others just served their time. My foot and legrests were broken in coach which made sleeping less comfortable. Some refurbished Superliner sightseer lounges are now half table seating. There are no longer any movies shown.

Since freight cars are no longer tacked on the end, you can now look out behind you from the last car.

There are "bad experiences" tales on this forum quite regularly, but overall I don't believe they are significantly more frequent. My several western trips in the last few years have ranged from excellent to only minor annoyances. I would recommend the Builder and the Chief, and the Zephyr if being on time is not an issue. The Starlight has not gotten any worse, and you could even score a Pacific Parlor car. I have heard the crews are good on the Sunset, and timekeeping is even better than it was.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are you waiting for? At least in the east, the paint jobs match! Not to mention the Dead Weight (I mean mail and express) is gone. Unfortunately, so are some baggage and crew dorm cars.

It's the same old Amtrak, hop on board!

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My last trip was in November. There have been some minor changes over the years, but nothing too drastic. Service is still inconsistent, but I've never had any really bad experiences, except for a horrible salmon dinner last year.

My most recent travelogue is posted here (on trainweb now!), which will give you a good idea of the current state of affairs.

As Amtrak207 sez, its the same old Amtrak.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took the Late Shore Limited to Boston and back to Chicago in January. Excellent cars, excellent sleeper attendant, terrible SDS food in dining car, 30 minutes late going, 1 hour 10 minutes late returning (not bad compared to what has been happening lately).

In March I took the Empire Builder to Essex, MT, and back to Glenview, IL. Excellent cars, excellent sleeper attendant, pleasant crew, very good food prepared on-board in dining car. Arrived at Essex 10 minutes early, 30 minutes late at Glenview returning (a wash).

It's a tossup, but based on this experience I do think the crews are trying harder.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From my recently completed round trip on Auto-Train, namely 53(18) and 52(23), I can only reaffirm my previously noted LD travel consensus of "more positives than negatives'.

I plan to submit additional material to the forum regarding those trips.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page