RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Another "Opportunity" For Amtrak to Save Money

Author Topic: Another "Opportunity" For Amtrak to Save Money
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Amtrak...another opportunity has arisen to save some cash. Taking a page out of your Sunset Limited playbook, you could institute a "temporary" suspension of the California Zephyr due to the recent bridge fire. Don't worry...when the bridge reopens, just keep notices in your timetable and on locked station doors and keep the trains from running. Nobody will bother you. If you ake this strategy every time there is a problem on one of your routes, before you knwo it, you can reduce service to corridor only.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can see the announcement now:

"Due to severe infrastructure damage from a fire in the Sacramento area, service on Trains 5 and 6 will be annulled until a date to be announced. In addition, due to extreme indifference on the part of Florida governmental officials, all Silver Service trains will terminate and originate at Savannah, GA until further notice."

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bingo, Mike. Amtrak can string 'em along as they have us in North Florida. You are right about the lack of interest by Florida oficials. You'd think they would be whipped into a frenzy as the Sunset at least gave folks an opportunity to come and go to their communities. Our local officials seemed lukewarm when I suggested a strong letter to Amtrak and the Escambia County commission in Pensacola reportedly voted against sending a message to Amtrak. I am amazed at the ignorance of these people...they will trumpet the arrival some 10 seat puddle jumper airline but won't act interested in a train that can carry a couple hundred folks to and from their cities. And our Congressman has never seemed too excited.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SilverStar092, I will be attending the luncheon in Winter Park on 4/7 hosted by the Florida Coalition of Rail Passengers. Will I see you there?

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
No, I live in North Florida. I hope there is some useful discussion there as we need to push for a return of service linking florida to points west.
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
I agree with you whole-heartedly, and I will certainly advance your position regarding reestablishment of the Sunset Limited east of NOL, which I know is the top priority of the FCRP right now.

Ocala Mike

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where the hell is the re-instatement of the Sunset Limited???!!! We are waiting, and waiting!
Amtrak is supposed to be accountable to the public and congress. What's happening? The CSX cleared their schedules last April 6th, 2006 for the re-instatement of the Sunset. An Amtrak official in Washington, DC told me new crews had been trained to take on the run to Orlando. Where are they!

Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Pojon, here is an extract from a letter written by Alex Kummant, President and CEO of Amtrak, to the Florida Coalition of Rail Passengers, dated 2/26/07:

"Amtrak has not yet made a decision regarding
future service on the Sunset Limited route.
We have initiated discussions with stake-
holders along the route, including the
Florida Department of Transportation, about
alternatives for providing service to the
Gulf Coast region. We welcome your thoughts
about options for restoring service, and will
consider them in our analyses."

I suggest you consider writing Governor Crist, Senators Nelson and Martinez, and your U.S. Representative. If I find out anything substantive from FCRP at their 4/7 meeting in Winter Park, I will report it here.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
OcalaMike: Thanks! We will be interested. There has been too much bureaucracy and no action. The politicians don't seem to care as they fly everywhere (first class). That's why they are ignorant of the increasing traffic problems on our interstate highways, etc. If they somehow had cancelled the NOL-Florida service and replaced it with Chicago-FL, it would be morwe difficult to me as that would not serve my city in North FL but would be understandable. But forcing people traveling to/from FL to travel via Washington to get to any western point is ludicrous. It takes longer and is much more costly. At least in the "old days" you could take either the Meteor or Star to Richmond, Washington, Philadelphia, or New York to make connections. Now you can only connect Silver Star to Capitol Limited (due to the computer)or eastbound Capitol to Silver Meteor. There are no alternatives offered except on Cardinal days and it is more expensive.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page