RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » "future service has not been determined" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "future service has not been determined"
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After Mr Norman's post this morning, I went out and searched both the STB and the Amtrak sites.

There is no evidence of a:
- Regulatory
- Business Case
- PR release

which formally places 1/2 (east of New Orleans) into discontinuance proceedings. This includes anything resembling simply "dropping the train."

That said, we're talking about Amtrak, and that means everything is "firmly cast in a sea of Jel-lo."

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4508

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1702     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
At a subscription railforum, there is a report that the Amtrak Board has now formally sought discontinuance of the "Sunset East".

If the reference is to the post on trainorders.com, the poster actually said that the "Board is likely to take up this week the matter of officially discontinuing the Sunset Limited east of New Orleans". Your characterization of the matter is unfortunately at odds with what was posted.

I have no idea who the trainorders.com poster is, nor if he has any "inside sources" (himself included) to support his claim. There is a distinct possibility that it's just more rumor and speculation, standard operating procedure in the internet world.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. 1702, I too have re-read that posting and I agree that there is the possibility my report was premature.

However, my thoughts regarding the efficacy of Sunset East stand, and, if the report proves unfounded, there appears there will be no change in Amtrak's "Korean War" strategy.

I would think that advocacy groups would welcome a formal "180 Day Notice' under ARAA '97. As I noted at the posting, the mechanics for persons desiring to object to the change in service would enjoy the formal means to be heard instead of simply , in internetese, ranting.

And finally, here is a "trove" of previous discussion we have had here regarding Sunset East.

http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/11/4281.html

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My experience with the Trainorders rumor mill is that it is largely fueled by the Amtrak employee rumor mill, which isn't particularly reliable.

It has often been suggested that the Sunset should long ago have been split into two routes at New Orleans. There has been some talk of doing just that, with some sort of corridor development replacing the eastern portion. But that's just another rumor. No more or less credible than any other at this point.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page