RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » cz this summer

Author Topic: cz this summer
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard that the CZ will be routed through Wyoming for 4 days or so during May/June. Does anyone know when Amtrak will provide likely dates for this? Anyone venture a guess if they'll be finished by the tail end of June? I'm doing the trip around June 25th.
Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not "4 days or so," but four days each week for a period of time.

Here is the language from the announcement in the new timetable:

".........For a period of time in May and June, the California Zephyr will detour four days each week through Wyoming, bypassing the Rocky Mountains, due to track work between Denver and Glenwood Springs."

I would venture a guess that they will not be finished until sometime in July. Since I would also venture a guess that they don't work on Saturdays and Sundays, why don't you schedule your trip so that you traverse the Rockies on Sat., 6/23 or Sun., 6/24?

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So if I am leaving Friday eastbound out of Sacramento, that would not be detoured? Is there anyplace I can find out for sure?

I did the detour last year, and it was interesting, but once is enough. I would rather reorganize my plans and come home on the Empire Builder or SW Chief than do the detour again.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner, my reply to Sutton was strictly along the lines of "venturing a guess," as he/she requested. You, and experienced Amtrak traveler, should know better than anyone there are very few "for sures" when dealing with that vaunted organization.

I suggest that if the route of the CZ is of paramount importance to anyone, they should try and get the answers directly from Amtrak. I also suggest, however, that it could be a day-to-day decision made by some dispatcher at the BNSF/UP center in Denver.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't worry, I already called them. Twice. But the people I spoke with checked with customer service and said they couldn't find anything about any CZ detour. On which timetable did you see this info? When I go to www.amtrak.com and type in a trip on the Zephyr, no mention appears there. When I go to Schedules and try to click on the new timetables, the links don't work for me. (Does anyone else have this problem?) When I tried to get the Amtrak person on the phone to check the new timetable for me, she told me the timetables didn't come out for 2 weeks. When I pointed out that the timetables on line say they are for April 2007 but that I cannot open the link, she could not even get the Amtrak website to come up to check there.

Last summer the 4 days a week detour was Monday-Thursda. I am hoping it will be the same now, but who knows?

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4508

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1702     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just checked the online CZ timetable and the basic info is there, "for a period of time in May and June......will detour thru Wyoming four days each week, bypassing the Rocky Mountains".....Today the new National Timetable that I ordered online last week arrived (by priority mail!) and the same info is on the CZ timetable there.
Posts: 73 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't imagine why anyone would want to take the CZ if it detours through Wyoming. The Denver-Glenwood Springs route is the most spectacular train ride in the entire United States. Sure hope you can nail down the detour times.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
sojourner, the Amtrak representative you talked to needs to be brought "on board." The new timetable, which was the source of my posting regarding the detour, is out and being mailed on request.

My advice would be to "assume" Monday-Thursday detours once again this year, and act accordingly.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:
I can't imagine why anyone would want to take the CZ if it detours through Wyoming.

In 99 of 100 cases, you are likely correct, Mr. Kisor. However, anyone with an interest in railroad operations and who wants to see "up close and personal" what 21st century railroading is all about (it aint running Amtrak), the Overland Route through Wyoming is the place to do it.

When one observes trains literally running on "headway' carrying the goods that enable the US economy to function, I think that is exciting in itself.

True, it was more fun to do so from a UP 90XX Dome Lounge with drink served in glassware in hand, but 'Amtrak and their beverages served in plasticware is all we got' nowadays.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:
I can't imagine why anyone would want to take the CZ if it detours through Wyoming.

When you've done the Moffat route four times, and have never done the Wyoming route - a "been there, done that" kind of mentality I guess - then you might want an alternative.

Diversionary routes that passenger trains don't normally take can be interesting to many people - including me.

Are Sutton and Sojourner one and the same person?

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Geoff,
No, I've no idea who Sojourner is. Thanks for the info, though guys.

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
ANOTHER QUESTION GUYS: I've never traveled through southern Wyoming? Is it just flat and ugly? Also, how does this affect the time of arrival in Omaha and Chicago? Lastly, if UP is working on the track during the week, is Amtrak able to go the normal route on the weekend (I know Ocala Mike suggested this)? Or do the UP guys work on weekends as well? Thanks all for your replies. After this I'll be able to decide whether to change the date or not.
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assure you, S. Wyoming is anything but flat. Other posters here will tell of Sherman's Hill, in the land west of Cheyenne. See photos here.

In its own unique way, S. Wyoming is picturesque.

--------------------
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one corner of the Earth all one's life."

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sutton/Sojourner, the posts looked similar - same routes, same timeframe, same posting style - hence the question! No offence intended.

Regarding travel times, I've seen it reported here that the detour can actually shave a couple of hours off the regular route, arriving in Denver or Salt Lake (as appropriate) very early. But some travellers have experienced lengthy delays as well.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
CG96, thanks for the pics. The countryside, while not the Rockies, looks interesting. This wouldn't be so bad. Does anyone know if UP workers are working during weekends?
Thanks

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
No, I'm not Sutton, and unlike Sutton, I've already done the Wyoming detour! That's why I don't want to do it again.

When I did it westbound last August, the train got into SLC early, even though we had to wait for the UP pilot (if that is the term) at the one stop we made (to pick him up) between Denver and SLC. (BTW, even though we left SLC on time, we still managed to get into San Francisco 5 hours late. But I didn't mind--I was able to catch a taxi to my hotel and all worked out fine.)

The scenery was all right, just nothing nearly as gorgeous as the Rockies and the red Utah desert you see on the real Zephyr. I also disliked going so far without stopping (except the one time); I like making some stops and getting out and stretching my legs (and buying fruit at one stop, as I recall) on the regular Zephyr. So, I was glad I did the detour that one time, but I don't want to do it AGAIN. I mean, I'm coming down from Washington State and adding a day to my trip to take the Zephyr rather than go back on the Empire Builder (I'm going out on the EB). So I really don't want it to be a non-Zephyr Zephyr. But, I guess I'll see what happens. . . . .

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page