RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Trip to Chicago

Author Topic: Trip to Chicago
mikev
Member # 4864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trying to plan a trip From Washington to Chicago in the fall for my wife and I. Probably go on the Cardinal and return on the Capital ltd. I have been on several trips to Boston and Rochester and a few locals but no overnights and never on this route. My wife has never been on a train but would like to try it. Her problem is a fear of bridges. If that is a problem on this route I will look for another for her first trip.

Thanks for any advice,

Mike

Posts: 11 | From: Pasadena, Maryland | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would go west on the capitol limited and come back on the cardinal. that way youll see new river gorge in West Virginia in the daylight. Just my two cents.
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikev
Member # 4864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would work as we will be there for several days and do not have to worry about a connection.
Posts: 11 | From: Pasadena, Maryland | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried to post this once and it didn't go through so if it rurns up twice you will understnd.Jim is right. The scenery is the best going west on the Capital and east on the Cardinal. Just remember that there is no checked baggage or diner on the Cardinal unless it has recently changed. There is a bridge at Harper's Ferry but if you go coach have your wife sit on the aisle side and if you go sleeper she can always just close her eyes until you tell her the daner has passed. I would tell her to relax, take deep breaths and enjoy the ride. There is so much to see.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was on the Cardinal this fall, there were prepared meals for sleeper passengers only. The staff said that if they have any extra ones, they will sometimes sell them to coach passengers, but as they did not look particularly tempting and were quite overpriced, I did not pursue the matter (I was traveling coach). There was a snack bar, but I brought my own snacks.

I would definitely advise going west on the Capitol Ltd and east on the Cardinal, as others have noted.

I am sometimes a little leery of heights myself, but I have to say, the bridge at Harpers Ferry is not a very scary one, it isn't very high, and it's such a scenic spot (not to mention historic) that I think your wife will manage it OK. You are not there very long.

The bridge you pass on the New River Gorge coming back on the Cardinal is scary looking, when you think of all those bungy jumpers, but you don't CROSS it, you merely see it, so don't worry. It's exquisitely scenic, too.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
last but not least, while in chicago, try to go to Tommy Gunn's Garage. It's a really fun dinner/theatre thing. Google it and you'll find out about it. I did it, and the food was good and the show entertaining.
Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Her problem is a fear of bridges. If that is a problem on this route I will look for another for her first trip.[/QB]
There is no such thing as a completely bridge-free route. The Cardinal has two major bridges that I can think about right now. Coming from Chicago, the first is over the Ohio River just south of Cincinatti. It should be dark when you cross it. The second is over the Patomac just before you enter Washington. It is relatively low to the water and is paralleled on the west (left entering DC) by the Metro bridge and beyond that, three bridges for 14th Street.

You did not say how big or high or what about them bothers her. If we understood more about the nature of what it is that bothers her we might be able to give more specific guidance.

There will be quite a number of medium to small bridges on the line, and I am sure that there are medium and smaller river crossings that I have forgotten. Most of the time when inside a train you may not even be aware that you are crossing one. If they are open deck, that is ties on the girders or bridge timbers without ballast, there will be a change in the sound. Otherwise, there is little or nothing to tell you that you are crossing a bridge.

There are quite a number of tunnels on both routes. Most are relatively short, but a few are 1/2 mile plus.

George

Posts: 2810 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Other than the two X-ings of the Potomac (the previously noted Harpers Ferry and the other near Cumberland - the B&O was laid out in a straight line accross WV rather than logically following the River as did the WM), I can't think of any X-ing on the Capitol Ltd route. To my knowledge, the route is to the East of the Ohio R.

But I know one bridge out there Mrs. Mike would have her difficulties with - and plenty of passenger trains X it daily. That bridge is traveling Eastward over the Mianus River at Cos Cob CT (WW there is a catwalk) - on the Corridor!!! Be your train an Acela or an MNR M2, there is nothing between you and your view of the water. Imagine what it was like during my boyhood days and the prevailing "you get hurt, that's your problem' mentality. Back then, a New Haven "local' MU train would X that bridge wuth the traps wide open. Try that today and I'd dare say the tort lawyers would be busy.

Posts: 9979 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiking2
Member # 2239

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiking2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed that during May the route will be in daylight while going west. This is according to the latest amtrack schedule.

Alan

Posts: 27 | From: Cleveland | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bridge over the Mississippi at Burlington is no picnic for one who doesn't like bridges. There is nothing to see but down and even thought bridges don't bother me I always sigh with reliwef when we are over it.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since the thread has morphed into a "railroad bridge" topic, here are my three "big and high" ones:
Canyon Diablo, AZ on the BNSF
Pecos High Bridge on the UP (ex-SP) bet. Del Rio/San Antonio TX
(usually crossed at night, but awesome. Pics of the old Pecos Bridge (footings can still be seen) will inspire fear in almost anyone!
The Media, IL high bridges bet. Fort Mad. and Galesburg/BNSF
---Oddly enough, the actual Fort Madison Bridge isn't too scary. it's just barely above the Mississippi. However, the Burlington, IA bridge is "no picnic," as train lady points out.

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of possible interest is material I posted at another forum. You can read for free and without registering:

http://p068.ezboard.com/fthenhrhtanewhavenrailroadforumfrm2.showMessage?topicID=4956.topic

Posts: 9979 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Westbound out of Cut Bank, MT on the Empire Builder there is a bridge with no sides over a river and valley far below. The approaching landscape is not typical of a canyon crossing. The ground just seems to suddenly disappear. A PA announcement sometimes warns the passengers it is coming.

When they did warn us once, screams were heard from the observation lounge as we started across the bridge. Maybe they just thought it was a good time to scream, as in a cheap horror movie. Maybe they were really that startled.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People who are averse to water might not like the Lake Pontchartrain crossing above New Orleans. (Can't see anything but water on either side for many miles.) And how could we forget the Huey Long Memorial Bridge also down there-- never heard so much groaning and creaking on any RR bridge...great view of NOL and the Mississippi, though!
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Help me out here, posters.. I have a very vague memory of a hight trestle bridge on the Agawa Canyon trip in Ontario. Am I right ?
Liberty Limited
Member # 4300

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liberty Limited   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to try to scare you Mike, but IIRC, there are about 7-10 bridges on the Capitol between DC and North of PGH, as well as one segment very near PGH where the line abuts a sharp drop to the East. The good news is that by going West on the Cap, most of them you'll encounter in the dark.

Leaving MoCo, MD, there is one rather high but short bridge.

Crossing into WV from MD, there's the above mentioned bridge into Harpers Ferry.

At one point between Martinsburg and Cumberland, you'll exit WV, cross the Potomac on a bridge, enter a tunnel in MD, then exit that tunnel and cross the Potomac again to come back into WV.

Then you'll cross the Potomac again to stay in MD.

You'll cross the Cassellman and Youghienny (i never spell it right) Rivers a few times as you play tag with them, but these trestles are quite short. Then on your approach into PGH, you'll curve onto a rather narrow trestle at slow speed near McKeesport.

Finally, you'll run along the embankment I mentioned above following the Panther Hollow tunnel, and cross another steel bridge leaving the Pittsburgh Station.

Like I said, you should hit most of these in the dark, and be unaware of them if you go WB. Even still, none of them are really scary - my travelling partner was not bothered too much by them and she has a bridge phobia as well.

--------------------
History of Baltimore and Baltimore Transit - Visit http://www.btco.net !

Posts: 86 | From: Baltimore | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That Agawa Canyon trestle ranks right up there with some of the scariest places to ride a train that I've ever seen. Scarier out the west side, I think, a L-O-N-G way down!

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
thank you, Judy. I thought that was the place that really gave me the "jitters". It was a beautiful trip and we enjoyed it a lot but I could have easily done without the trestle. We did that trip in the 90s so that is why I wasn't sure I rememberde it correctly. I don't do down well at all, thought most rail bridges don't bother me.
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where is the Agawa Canyon Bridge--on the Maple Leaf, the VIA Rail west of Toronto, the VIA Rail east of Toronto, or what?
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
It is an excursion route. It is a day train trip from Sault Ste Marie Ontario into the Agawa Canyon. I believe it's by the Algona Central Railway. You leave in the morning ,get to the canyon by lunch( you can buy a box lunch before you leave or arrange tohave one served there). They give you time to explore the canyon which is beautiful. Then you back on the train and come back to Soo. The lunch arrangements may be different now as it has been since the 90s when we were there.
mikev
Member # 4864

Rate Member
Thank you one and all for the informative and entertaining posts. I am looking forward to my trip to Chicago later this year. May still be a solo, we will have to wait and see.

Thanks again from a new forum member.

Mike

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Mike, I do hope you can convince your wife to go with you. the train is great and Chicago is such a wonderful town. there is so much to see and do. Let us know what you decide.
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another high and maybe "scary" bridge is the Gassmann Coulee trestle west of Minot, N.D. (Empire Builder route). But the view is pretty nice!!!
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page