RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » have you all seen the new whistle stop feature. . .

Author Topic: have you all seen the new whistle stop feature. . .
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
at the Amtrak website?
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I rather liked it. Now, is there a way to get potential riders to see it?

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had a look at it. It certainly has potential. But the "feature story" on the Empire Builder, I suspect, was solicited by Amtrak from a travel writer to "jump-start" the feature. It is awfully sunny, without even a single mild negative observation.

This is the kind of journalism we see in "booster" magazines designed to sell a particular region to tourists. Nothing wrong with it as such, but it needs to be taken with a grain of salt -- the reader needs to realize he's reading only one side of a story, the side the marketers want him to see.

I hope Amtrak has the courage to allow riders to post stories that tell the truth -- that discuss the bad with the good.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking the same thing, Henry. It's all about "fluff," isn't it?

I wonder who ranked those "most scenic" trips. Can't believe the Lake Shore through the Rust Belt was ranked near the top way ahead of the CZ.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4508

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1702     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:

I hope Amtrak has the courage to allow riders to post stories that tell the truth -- that discuss the bad with the good.

Henry, there's a sentence in the introduction to "Whistle Stop" that starts with "If you have a fond memory of a favorite train adventure...". I think that pretty much says it all.

Besides, disseminating negative stories about a product one is marketing is likely to lead to a swift exit from one's employer. We can't realistically expect "Whistle Stop" to post anything other than "feel-good" stories.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whistle stop feature was a fun read! Especially the Empire Builder story. The Autotrain sounds interesting. But I think 1702 definitely has a point regarding disseminating negative stories. This feature really is a form of promotional advertising. But I do have one question. Where are the tall picture windows in an amfleet cafe car on the Adirondack as mentioned in the story?
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whether one views the stories on Whistle Stop as boosterism or promotional advertising, one had best take them with a grain of salt -- or a whole handful.

My memories of Amtrak trips are all fond -- but they are not Pollyannish either.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page