RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » rules of circulations...

Author Topic: rules of circulations...
lucariello
Member # 5065

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucariello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't find out anything about rules of train cirulations such as signal and so on... can you give me some link or advice?
thank you!

--------------------
Luca, Yes I'm a railfan, Sapere Aude by Kant

Posts: 16 | From: Italy | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you mean signal aspects then have a look at this:
http://broadway.pennsyrr.com/Rail/Signal/aspects_us_norac.html
The railroads vary but this page probably covers most of the aspects.

For some heavy reading, try this PDF:
http://gsee.sdf-us.org/signals/docs/pdf/gcor/gcor_4-2000.pdf
This is full of rules and instructions.

<Shameless-plug>And, if you're interested in UK signalling/dispatching, try http://www.simsig.co.uk </Shameless-plug>

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, Luca. I have a question for you: What, in your opinion, were the best passenger trains serving Italy in the 1960s and early 70s? I'm thinking primarily about international trains, especially those offering sleeping cars and restaurant cars. The reason I ask is that I post old train timetables on the Internet from time to time, and in a few months I hope to be able to get around to doing some from Europe. Some knowledgeable input would be nice. Anyhow, welcome to the forums!

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucariello
Member # 5065

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucariello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well in '60 and '70 FS (the italian company) had their best development so the are some train very good: ETR 250 "Settebello" (this is the most known in the world) other are the E444 (turtle) and the etr 401 with tilting in 1975
Sorry for my bad english...

--------------------

Posts: 16 | From: Italy | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucariello
Member # 5065

Rate Member
In your train, I've read just the first link, does so exist a kind of repetition of signal aspect on the driver desk.
Does it work? With an AC current on the rail?

--------------------

lucariello
Member # 5065

Rate Member
I've another answer...
What are the best passenger electric train in US
What are the security system on board? There are one or two drivers? (In Italy two..)

--------------------

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's see if i can address your well-considered inquiries, Signor Leva.

In your train, I've read just the first link, does so exist a kind of repetition of signal aspect on the driver desk.
Does it work? With an AC current on the rail?

Most trains in the US rely upon the Locomotive Engineer (driver) to make visual recognition of the signal and respond in accordance with the Book Rules. However, in this case, train speeds may not exceed 80mph. However, freight trains, or 98% of what US railroading is all about, rarely operate faster than 60mph.

Where higher speeds are permitted, mainly in the Northeast, signals are displayed in the locomotive cab, and if the Engineer does not respond, the train's brakes will automatically be applied, the incident will be recorded, and the Engineer will likely be disciplined.

What are the best passenger electric train in US
What are the security system on board? There are one or two drivers?

No question whatever, the Boston to Washington Acela Express gets that prize. This train is as close as the US comes to "world class" passenger railroading.

Regarding passenger security, more of such is "behind the scenes' than visible on US passenger rail systems, although, post 9/11, 3/11, and 7/7, the 'visible' has become more the case. Uniformed police officers now regularly ride trains operated by the various rail passenger agencies.

Lastly, I can recall a 1971 ride I took Rome to Naples aboard your Pendolino equipment. Sitting in the "bubble nose' ahead of the Driver was quite the experience. Just as well we didn't hit anything en route, but then I think Europeans have greater respect for highway track (grade) crossings than is found here in the US.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucariello
Member # 5065

Rate Member
I think Europeans have greater respect for highway track (grade) crossings than is found here in the US

Sorry what do you mean?
Talking about security is it easy for you take pitcure of trains in a station?
In Italy it's not allowed because of terrorism!
I'm very upset by this restriction!
I'm very happy for you, Gilbert B Normann, and your "trip" in cab!

Anyone can ask me anything about train in Italy, if I can I'll be very happy to answer!!!

--------------------

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you will read other threads here and in other places, the rules concerning picture taking are very inconsistent and the enforcement of them even more so. In actuality, most rules concerning picutre taking would probably fail constitutionally if challenged. In my opinion they are pointless anyway. Virtuall all of the US can be observed in good quality aerial photography freely from anywhere in the world. If someone wants up to date close up photography, skip the fancy camera and just use your mobile phone.

Generally, in law if you are on public property you take all the pictures you want of whatever you want.

In most places if there is no sign to the contrary feel free to take all the pictures you want. Just be obvious about what you are and why you are doing it. In other words, give the law enforcement people no reason to be suspicious.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lucariello:
I think Europeans have greater respect for highway track (grade) crossings than is found here in the US

Sorry what do you mean?

I could be mistaken as I have not "been over" in some sixteen years, but I think Europeans, where there are grade x-ings, will heed common sense of 'Stop Look and Listen'. Such is also common sense" over here, but that is often a very uncommon virtue.
Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's interesting what has been posted in various threads about security and attempts at restricting photography. Here in the UK we were moving to a more restrictive regime, not due to security but following privatisation in the mid-90's when the new rail companies thought train fans a nuisance. However, given the events of recent years the penny suddenly dropped that rail fans were a wonderful resource, probably had a better working knowledge of the railroad than many of their staff and were far more likely to notice anything suspicious or out of the ordinary and they are now positivly and actively welcomed (with the obvious caveat of "please stay out of harm's way" etc).

Astonishingly, our local regional airport has also recently announced that they were delighted to welcome aircraft spotters for exactly the same reason!

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucariello
Member # 5065

Rate Member
well, I have a lot fo questions about US railroad...
I read a lot of information in the external link...
But the famous ACELA has got the signal aspect in cab and the speed limit also?
Another question
In Italy the lastest trains has the Automatic Throttle... I try to explain that: The Engineer set the speed and the Computer of Vehicle (LDV) set an appropriate value of torque (I don't think that torque is the best word but I mean the strong on the wheel...) and apply the brakes, if necessary.
Does it exist in US train (I think yes because for long distance and so on)

--------------------

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Acela may have this. In the US the name used for this is the same as that used in an automobile to maintain speed on freeways: Cruise Control. Power would probably be a better word than torque. Don't worry about scrambling the English. When you try to learn English by applying rules of grammar and usage, there are so many exceptions you might at well throw up your hands and say, "What rules?" At least there are a fairly large number of Latin based words in English - and Greek - and others, despite it being considered a Germanic language.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucariello
Member # 5065

Rate Member
I want to know if in US the engineer is alone or there are two (like Italy) I think the two enigneers and the appropriate security syistem are the best, also for a minor stress on job...
what do you think about that?

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page