RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Superliner Bedroom "A"

Author Topic: Superliner Bedroom "A"
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got one. It's all they had. Is "A" all that much worse than the others? What's the configuration difference? Other than being so close to the door, what are the other disadvantages of Bedroom "A"?

Thanks

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fret not. Room A is a little smaller. The bathroom is just shifted a foot or two towards the chair, and the bathroom door is on the other side of the sink, instead of opening towards the chair.

My wife and I had room A on our first Superliner journey in 1983, which also happened to be our honeymoon. It worked out just fine for us. [Wink]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Mr. Toy. I'm using GR from ATL to SD. First viewliner bedroom too. Can't wait!
Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unlike some others on this forum, I have found absolutely ZERO difference in the various room locations on Superliners in all the years I have been traveling......
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did they let you book ATL to SD using only points for 2 zones instead of 3? I have enough points for a 2 zone trip, and I want to maximize them as much as possible!
Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"A" is closer to the truck asssembly, so there may be a bit more "wheel noise." On the other hand, you are not near the area by the coffee service station and the center stairs, where ppl tend to congregate and chat, so you won't hear that. You'll be fine in A, Mr. Room Service; enjoy your trip.
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulB:
Did they let you book ATL to SD using only points for 2 zones instead of 3? I have enough points for a 2 zone trip, and I want to maximize them as much as possible!

Hi Paul,

I just returned from an Atlanta-Albuquerque roomette trip where I was charged just 15,000 (1 zone roomette) points even though I travelled through two zones.

In other words, the Atlanta loophole worked fine for me.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RRRICH:
Unlike some others on this forum, I have found absolutely ZERO difference in the various room locations on Superliners in all the years I have been traveling......

I agree! I've been in roomettes 3,4,6,7,8,11 & 14, and bedrooms A & E, and have not observed any discernable difference in sway, mechanical noise, comfort, or ride quality. There is less human noise downstairs, however, and room A does have a slightly different floor plan, which is the topic of this thread.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulB:

Yes. That determined this route for me. Maximized.

4 days and nights - 3 zones for the points of 2

If you go to SD be sure to REQUEST business class, or you won't get it.

Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Downside to room A is that the bathroom door doesn't open as wide, so if you are circumferentially challenged, you may have problems squeezing in.

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grandma Judy - "circumferentially challenged?', eh? That's a new one!!! Hah!! I suppose I too am a bit "circumferentially challenged!"

Good point about Bedroom A

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bedroom A is awful. I got stuck with it once on the Sunset Ltd. and in addition to its poor riding quality due to its location at the end of the car, it is also much noisier because of the constantly opening door that leads to the next car. I found it noticably smaller and since you are paying the same fare as the other bedroom passengers, I would certainly (if possible) try to move to another bedroom.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose "Queen Sized" would be better than circumferentially challenged, but I was going for the unisex and politically correct reply! "Ample figure" or "Rubinesque" also occurred to me, but I guess you could also say just "wide load" and let it go at that.

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Printman2000
Member # 4338

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Printman2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can check out a very good diagram at http://web.mac.com/dzygmont/iWeb/dazphotoworld/Superliner%20Diagrams.html
Posts: 33 | From: Amarillo, Tx | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a website with a diagram of Grandma Judy? Either you're very special or someone has it out for you.
Either way, I thought the PC buzzword was the opposite of vertically challenged, that being "horizontally gifted."
That being said, don't expect too much from the Viewliners. They're twelve years old and have had constant, rough use for the whole time. In my car, (023 room 8) none of the upper berth lights worked because people had mashed the life out of the switches, the window leaked and the carpet was falling off of the ceiling. Not bad, I think. Wait a minute, you're saying, how can I give a car that's so rough around the edges such a good review?
I slept fine. I got there safely. I could see out the window. That's good enough for me. (Cookie, cookie, cookie starts with C.)
As for bedroom A, I think your proximity to the corridor and car-end doors may only matter if you are listening for it. Corridor loudness depends on the time of day and the type of people that happen to be traveling with you. In general, I've noticed that the sleeping cars have fulfilled their purpose as a hotel on wheels. Then again, I've been in coach since 1988 and only took two sleeper trips last year, so I'm relieved just to get in the sleeping cars. I still reached for my wallet every time in the diner. Well, for the tip, of course.

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bedroom "A" was one thing when offered for a $75 upgrade from Roomette during '02 ORL to NOL; something else when offered at 'high bucket' on Auto Train last March.

When I realized that is what I was going to be assigned on Auto train, and a live reservationist could not "better" the space, I scrubbed and booked a Lower Level Roomette.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray S
Member # 3175

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on the CZ from Chicago to Reno in June. I asked for Room "A". Last year on the same trip I met some folks at dinner who had room "A". I asked if I could come look at the room. I didn't see a problem at all.

When I get rooms "B,C,D or E" I have nice neighbors but they always seem to be two adults with two small kids. Lot's of noise that cannot be helped.

Since I am alone on my trip I thought I would give this a try. I will report around the end of June.

Ray

Posts: 70 | From: West Palm Beach, Fl. USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page