RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Atlanta & Tennessee

Author Topic: Atlanta & Tennessee
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cannot find the strand where I discussed this before, but I've always wanted to go to Nashville and am now planning to go there to meet friends going there next fall. I have been doing so much other traveling that I really shouldn't spend the money, but they have gotten me a great rate on the hotel that was once Union Station, I simply cannot pass it up! But of course going to Nashville is a bit of a bummer because NO TRAIN! So, since I like new routes and not going and coming the same way, I was thinking about going to Memphis first, via Chicago, since I've always wanted to go there too and since I've never been on the City of New Orleans and sleepers on it are not expensive. I thought I'd spend 2 nights in Memphis, staying somewhere reasonable downtown, and then catch a Greyhound to Nashville, meet my friends for the 3 nights we will all be there, and finally catch a bus to Atlanta and the Crescent home.

Anyway, when I tried booking a hotel in Memphis, every single downtown hotel was booked solid for some huge annual convention. I called them all, but it was no go.

So then I thought maybe I could do it the other way round, go down to Atlanta, then bus to Nashville, then Memphis at the end. That way, I'd definitely have to overnight in Atlanta, but that's OK, because I would only need to stay one night at a hotel in Memphis because the northbound CONO leaves after 10PM so I'd have a sort of free day without paying for a hotel.

But even trying with these new dates, the downtown Memphis hotels were all booked--all except the Peabody, and that comes to $300 for the night when you add in tax and their "hotel fee"! Plus, when I phoned a few Atlanta hotels, they were booked too. What's going on?

So I booked the Peabody, but it's really way too steep for me. I'm deciding whether to buy my train tickets with Memphis in mind OR to round trip on the Crescent, bus to Nashville, stay there, bus back to Atlanta, and forget about Memphis for this trip.

Either way, can anyone recommend a good hotel for me to stay in Atlanta? I have friends there, but they live so far out in the suburbs that I don't want to stay with them because I want to catch an early bus to Nashville and they have to go to work. Best hotel location would be walking distance to the train station, if there's such a beast. Near the bus station might be good if that's a good neighborhood--I haven't checked that out yet. I mean, I have the address of the bus station but don't know where in Atlanta it is. I am also planning to tour the capitol while in Atlanta and presumably could stay downtown near that. But I don't want to spend a lot on cab fares TWICE; and I can take the MARTA to the capitol if I don't have my luggage.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4508

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1702     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner, that topic title is "charleston wv" about 2/3 of the way down the page.

There are a couple of train ride possibilities in Nashville. First, the Tennessee Central Railway Museum at http://www.tcry.org. Then there's the "Music City Star", Nashville's commuter railroad at http://www.musiccitystar.org/index.html

Both operations use the same route eastward out of Nashville, the Nashville & Eastern RR, "MCS" runs end at Lebanon and the museum's excursions run further east.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow 1702! I was going to suggest both of those Nashville rail ride possibilities myself.

Sojourner, if the link works, here is what Priceline suggests for hotels near the Atlanta Amtrak station.

I hope you're able to make Memphis work too. I lived there for about a year (which hardly qualifies me as an expert) and have fond memories. The streetcar and Mud Island Park are a couple of cheap entertainment ideas there.
priceline - hotels near Atlanta Amtrak

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The link didn't work, David.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms. Sojourner--

I was in Nashville this past week, and I was previously advised not to consider the Wyndham Union Station Hotel account noise from the railroad operations beneath your room.

I stayed at a Marriott Courtyard on West End Ave near Vanderbilt Univ (within sight of Un Sta); if that brand is not your "cup of tea', there is also Hampton, Day's, Ramada, and several independents. There is many a restaurant around there. If steaks are your thing there is Longhorn's, Italiam is Amerigo. If fast food?, name it.

Downtown, there are the various "full service' brands such as Renaissance, and Hyatt.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner

Since my relatives lived in the Nashville area, I always try to get back there every few years and another trip planned for early this summer.

The Union Station hotel is a must. It is a classic with oringinal L&N Arrivals and Departures board right behind the check in desk. We always ask for a corner room trackside and have never been aware of the train noise (get a higher floor if that is a concern - certainly much quieter than being on a train. Don't get one of the rooms on the bottom floor (1 floor down from the lobby) as no view and you will hear the rumble from there. There is a very fancy restaruant in the station but the kitchen serves the same food next door in a cafe for much less. The chicken pot pie is great. A pre-dinner cocktail in the grand lobby/waiting room is a must. Enjoy!

While the Peabody is expensive, it is a treat to see the nightly parade of the ducks through the lobby. One can stand only so many chain motels in a lifetime. But the Hampton Inn in downtown Atlanta is a short taxi ride (may be a bus??) from Amtrak and not too expensive when I stayed there on business several years ago.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Sojourner,

I'm having problems left clicking with my laptop right now......meaning it needs to go to the shop but I'm not ready to be without it for a few days.

So......I've not been able to successfully copy and paste the link.

However, if you will do a Yahoo Search for 'hotels near atlanta amtrak' the Priceline link I followed should be very near the top.

Sorry I couldn't make it easier......but it's a very, very long web address.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to staying at the Union Hotel in Nashville; the friends I'm meeting stay there all the time and love it. I'm not worried about the noise but will have ear plugs.

As it turns out, most hotels in Atlanta are booked too (most bizarrely!), so I may just stay with my friends in the 'burbs. But that will be OK, I guess.

I think I will do Memphis another time. And I will certainly see the ducks, even if I don't stay at the Peabody.

Thanks again for all the info!

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting, Mr Palmland--

Your advice is directly contrary to what I was told as in "don't stay there; those trains will keep you awake all night'.

However, I should note that Wyndham offers 'full to the brim Goodie Bags' for those in their rewards program. Although my sentiment towards any of these programs is "if you can't lick 'em, join 'em", Ms. Sojourner may consider signing up prior to her journey.

Lastly, for what it be worth, I could even hear trains at the Courtyard on West End.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Norman

I am sure the advice you received is from those who don't find railroads quiet as fascinating as those of us on this forum. So, I guess one person's noise is our music to sleep by. And besides, the beds are so comfortable.

On our visit this summer I am looking forward to a ride on the Music City Star commuter train. Many years ago I remember seeing the Tennessee Central trains rock along track that a narrow gauge railroad would have been ashamed of while being pulled by smoke belching RS-3's and FA's. Certainly never would have believed the TC would have passenger trains in 2007 while the L&N does not.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I guess I should also note here that my stay at that Courtyard noted was, to me, "less than satisfactory". However, in fairness to the brand with which I am normally quite satisfied, a stay at same in Roswell GA was 'quite satisfactory'.

But based upon your comments Mr. Palmland, perhaps I will give "Union Station' a try on a future visit. Nashville is a fair place to "break' a Chi to Atlanta drive. On such drives, I prefer full service hotels (no need to touch the auto until next morning). 'Once upon a time' Chi to Atlanta was a non-stop, save fuel and, shall we say, "relief", but not 'once upon this now 66 year old's time".

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Memphis the Peabody is quite handy to the Greyhound station, which is your only way to/from Nashville since the night train died in about 1966 or 67 and Trailways, which was directly across the street from Greyhound, died in the eraly 80's. Of course the walk from Greyhound to Peabody is change in Universes. By the way, regard that as a daytime only walk. Two blocks in a taxi is cheaper than a trip to The Med after getting hit over the head.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the "Music City Star" the same as the "Broadway Dinner Train?" I was in Nashville with a former girlfriend many years ago (well, it was 1995 or so), and we rode a dinner train from downtown Nashville out to Old Hickory (?) and back, had dinner and entertainment on the train. Is this what you folks are referring to as the "Music City Star?"
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4508

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1702     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RRRICH:
Is the "Music City Star" the same as the "Broadway Dinner Train?" I was in Nashville with a former girlfriend many years ago (well, it was 1995 or so), and we rode a dinner train from downtown Nashville out to Old Hickory (?) and back, had dinner and entertainment on the train. Is this what you folks are referring to as the "Music City Star?"

The "Music City Star" is a commuter train service, check their website posted above. The "Broadway Dinner Train" folded in Aug. or Sept. of 1999.
Posts: 73 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As it happens, I was in Nashville back in 2004 to ride the former Tennessee Central east to Cookeville. I stayed at the Wyndham Union Station, and found it completely acceptable. I was on a high floor with a view of the CSX main line (which I enjoyed greatly) but was far enough away that train noise was not a problem (of course, I'm the type who will ask for a room overlooking the tracks!). The ride to Cookeville is a lovely trip.

Too bad there isn't a train to Nashville any more.

As for Memphis, I've never spent any time there, but as my sister and family are now residents, I'm sure a visit to Memphis is in the near future -- and I plan to stay at the Peabody. Wouldn't miss the ducks for anything.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4508

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by rresor:
I plan to stay at the Peabody. Wouldn't miss the ducks for anything.

Altho the ducks are a Memphis tradition dating back to the 1930's, they can also be seen at the Peabody hotels in Little Rock and Orlando.
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 1702:
Altho the ducks are a Memphis tradition dating back to the 1930's, they can also be seen at the Peabody hotels in Little Rock and Orlando.

Little Rock?? Orlando?? Imitations! Fakes! Only the Peabody in Memphis is the real one.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 4508

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by George Harris:
quote:
Originally posted by 1702:

Little Rock?? Orlando?? Imitations! Fakes! Only the Peabody in Memphis is the real one.
Well, I suppose living in Taiwan would make one somewhat of an expert in fakes and imitations.
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the Orlando and Little Rock ducks are off spring of the Tennesssee ducks and wanted to spread out and see the world. After all that pool is rather small and I should think boring.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
I guess I should also note here that my stay at that Courtyard noted was, to me, "less than satisfactory". However, in fairness to the brand with which I am normally quite satisfied, a stay at same in Roswell GA was 'quite satisfactory'.

But based upon your comments Mr. Palmland, perhaps I will give "Union Station' a try on a future visit. Nashville is a fair place to "break' a Chi to Atlanta drive. On such drives, I prefer full service hotels (no need to touch the auto until next morning). 'Once upon a time' Chi to Atlanta was a non-stop, save fuel and, shall we say, "relief", but not 'once upon this now 66 year old's time".

I can't say that I've made the move to 'full service' hotels yet.....I'm pretty partial to Red Roof Inns in that I've only found a couple beneath my expectation......but I can say that once I wheel into the parking lot I look for a spot 'somewhere' in the middle. After coming off the highway I just don't want to climb in and start the engine before morning even if it's only to go 100 yards!

Oh......and the Ducks. I played the Peabody (in Memphis) as a working musician once. What a supurbly grand hotel. I wouldn't pony up the bucks to stay there though. My 'gig' at the Peabody gave me no more status 'staff' taking breaks out back with the cooks and waiters.

--------------------
David Pressley

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George - no, no, no -- the Orlando Peabody Ducks are the ORIGINALS!!!!!! I didn't know about the Little Rock ones......

Quack quack!! -- Railroad Rich

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Speaking of the Peabody ducks -- here is a trivia question for any fellow "Parrothead railfans" out there -- in which Jimmy Buffett song are the Peabody ducks mentioned?
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Amongst "econobrands', Red Roof is a good one, Mr. Presley. Back in the days when I stayed at econobrands and independents, oh perhaps 20 years ago, I found Red Roof to be quite consistent - and I will hardly say same of all in that segment.

However, as age comes on..........

When visiting out-of-town friends and family, as distinct from traveling there by auto, I'm not looking for an on-site Dinner restaurant. After all, the trip's purpose is to visit with people, and save some institutions such as the Memphis Peabody, who goes to a hotel solely to use its restaurant?

But Marriott Courtyard offers same in-room amenities as found at their full-service Marriott brand (Renaissance? can't speak for that one; I guess the linen thread count is exponentially higher there) and the 'same the USA (world FAIK) over" Marriott Buffet Breakfast.

zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Math Suks. (That's in reply to Mr. Rich's trivia question. It is not to be taken as a disparaging remark about Mr. Norman's former profession).
Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Mr. Norman I agree Courtyard's are a good bet for an overnight but we usually save a few bucks by staying at Marriott's Fairfield Inn when arriving late and leaving early while on the road. We can take advantage of their excellant reward program and save enough money to have a good dinner. They have just changed the mattresses and my wife is after me to find out the make so we can get one.

Amtrak would do well to upgrade their mattresses if you can call them that. More like a pad for your sleeping bag.

Member # 4508

Rate Member
Sojourner, I wonder if you've considered taking the City of New Orleans to Memphis, then going on to Nashville the same morning. The City is due in at 627AM and Greyhound has a schedule departing 900AM, arriving N'ville 1255PM, then another at 140PM, arriving 540PM.

Then you could go home via Atlanta.

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
1702, I toyed with the idea of doing that for some that, but in the end I decided against it. Such a short time in the city would not give me enough time to see the things I wish to see, so I would have to go back anyway. And when I thought about the additional cost of taking the Lakeshore Limited or Capitol Limited to Chicago and then the City of New Orleans, as well as the additional time off I'd have to be taking (after several other trips upcoming this year), I decided it would be better to save the trip for a better time when I can do more of what I want and overnight in Memphis at least one night. I still have never been to New Orleans nor on the City of New Orleans, and I've been on the Crescent only as far south as Atlanta and on the Sunset Ltd only between LA and San Antonio. So I want to take the CONO all the way from Chicago to New Orleans some time, and stopping in Memphis would be fine--it would be my way of "changing cars in Memphis Tennessee." I also want to take the Sunset Ltd between New Orleans and San Antonio, and the Crescent all the way to New Orleans. I will have to do all that in at least 2 trips, probably one where I also visit to San Antonio, Austin, and Little Rock and another where I go to Tucson for a few days and then and use a bus or airport shuttle from there to Phoenix (and maybe Scottsdale too) and come back on the Southwest Chief.

I actually planned visiting many of these cities before, but Hurricane Katrina one time and health issues another forced me to put them on hold. I will just plan them again!

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Ding ding ding ding!!!!!! Zephyr wins the trivia question prize (4 posts above) -- my, this thread has been busy in the last 24 hours!!!!!
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
Mr. Norman I agree Courtyard's are a good bet for an overnight but we usually save a few bucks by staying at Marriott's Fairfield Inn.

As I do myself, Mr. Palmland.

My most recent Fairfield stay was on the auto trip noted elsewhere in this topic at Fredericksburg VA. Such is located to the South of town (jct US1 & US17) and is convenient to my retired military friends' home who reside on the perimeter of Fort AP Hill.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page