RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » hotel in fort lauderdale

Author Topic: hotel in fort lauderdale
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have any recommendations for a safe, comfortable, not super expensive hotel in Fort Lauderdale? I don't know if it should be near the train station but it should be a convenient place to get to on the night the train gets in (presumably, late) and one more night before taking a cruise, from which they can walk around a little and see something of Fort Lauderdale. Also, are getting taxis a problem at Fort Lauderdale station when the train is late? When I passed through on my way to Miami, it looked kind of seedy. Would it be better to go to Hollywood, or is that too far from the cruise ships?
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about considering a Ramada property in Deerfield Beach that is adjacent to the station and at which you may be able to have a "room with a view'?

While I have never stayed there, it appears adequately maintained and safe. I think you will find the rates to be "attractive'.

Lastly, if you are embarking on a cruise at Port Everglades, be advised that area is an industrial maritime port with no hotels nearby. I cannot recall any airport hotels around there as well.

Edit; CAVEAT: I just completed a search of Ramada's site and find no listing of this property. When a hotel leaves an "econobrand' such as Ramada, "next stop' is usually independent. But I guarantee you, based upon an observation last month from a Tri-Rail train there is still a hotel there.

If you are prepared to accept independents (I'm not; 'the best surprise is no surprise') when traveling, possibly some local knowledge is the order of the day. A phone call direct to the (area code 954) Amtrak station could prove time and $$$ well spent.

But thence, my personal recommendation in the area is Holiday Inn Express Boca West 8144 Glades Road (@ Tpk X 75). Although an older property downgraded from a full service when their restaurant closed, I personally know the General Manager who has been there for about the past ten years. I guarantee you, she runs a 'tight ship' and the property owners do not "skimp' on the maintenance. In-season rates are about $200 and staying there, having an auto is a "plus".

SECOND ADDENDA: Amtrak no longer publishes local phone numbers at their stations. However, I believe you will find the hotel is now the Holiday Park Hotel; 1250 W Hillsboro Rd.

http://www.yellowpages.com/sp/moreinfo/index.jsp?id=90068095&q=hotel

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stlboomer
Member # 2028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stlboomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a Hampton Inn on Andrews Ave. in downtown Fort Lauderdale. It's less than two miles from the Amtrak station. Though I cannot give you a personal recommendation, you might take a look at it on the Hampton website or on Expedia (where you will find actual guest reviews). l
Posts: 103 | From: St. Louis, MO USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vicki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have stayed at both the Marriott and Embassy Suites. Got them both on Priceline for less than $100 ea. No problem getting taxi's at the station-they were lined up and waiting.

Embassy Suites had a hotel shuttle going to the cruise ship pier the last time we were there.

Posts: 149 | From: Joliet, IL USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner,

Check with the cruise line. They should be able to recommend a hotel in the area and might have a working (maybe even discount) relationship with some.

Dee

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vicki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DeeCT:
Sojourner,

Check with the cruise line. They should be able to recommend a hotel in the area and might have a working (maybe even discount) relationship with some.

Dee

The cruise lines do indeed have a working relationship with several area hotels and they're happy to book a pre or post-cruise stay. The prices, however, are a bit on the high side. I will continue to recommend Priceline. It's very seldom I can get as good a deal elsewhere.
Posts: 149 | From: Joliet, IL USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, also have done priceline in FTL area pre cruise many times, works well if you do your homework.
Unfortunately, you want to avoid booking hotel thru the cruiselines, they have relationships with several hotels in the area but prices are way out of line compared to even Orbitz/Expedia, etc.

Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms. Sojourner--

Be assured I have no affiliation whatever with the property adjacent to the Deerfield station. In fact, even though I am quite familiar with that area, I stay elsewhere (that Holiday Inn in Boca noted earlier).

But if you find that hotel acceptable, next morning, take a Tri Rail train to the Ft Lauderdale Airport station. From there, there are shuttle vans to the airport (just show a valid Tri Rail ticket) . From the airport, your cruiseline will have transportation for their airline passengers to Port Evergaldes, which I doubt would cost you a dime.

You appear to be a lady looking to avoid unnecessary travel costs; here would be one way to to avoid any transfer costs from Amtrak to your ship.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice try Mr. Norman, but there is a charge for cruiseline transfers from airport to ship, normally $20 pp (!). To piggyback on your suggestion, take the trirail to FTL stop and then just a cab to the port. Just as easy and probably $10-15 for fare.
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the info. Further investigation has rvealed several hotels in the area around the Embassy Suites Vicki mentions (I think the Marriott is no longer there, though there is a Renaissance), and there seems to be an inexpensive and pleasant water taxi to get to other parts of Ft Lauderdale beach. I am not sure we will be doing this cruise (we'll see how the money pot is!) but if we do, I think I'll stay in one of these hotels. They are all rather overpriced, but sharing with a friend, I think it will still be affordable.

Thanks again for all the info!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Sojourner, just so you are not misleading yourself, there are NO hotels/motels within walking distance in FTL. As Mr Norman mentioned it is industrial.
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Thanks, MDRR; I fixed my post. Someone told me it was walking distance from the Hyatt to the cruise terminal, although she wouldn't do it with luggage, but perhaps she thinks that it's walking distance because she has never done it! Anyway, the Hyatt is above my budget, though there are a few others close to it that are more affordable with 2 people sharing.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by MDRR:
Nice try Mr. Norman, but there is a charge for cruiseline transfers from airport to ship

Mr MD's response serves me right; I confess, I haven't been near a 'love tub' in now almost twenty years.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page