RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Guest Rewards CC

Author Topic: Guest Rewards CC
Passenger Rail Fan
Member # 4899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Passenger Rail Fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello:
What procedure do I go through to get the new Guest Rewards/Amtrak Credit Card? I have received the "new" World Points from Bank of America but I want to accumulatel Rail Points.
Thanks
Rail Fan

Posts: 36 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The new Amtrak rewards credit card won't be available until the fall. Amtrak recently sent me an e-mail inviting me to "pre-register" for the new card and get 5,000 bonus points once I actually sign up.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I received the new "World Points" card the other day. I called and tried to find information about Amtrak points. The person I talked to said it works exactly like the Guest Rewards Card we all have had for awhile. I m sure she didn't tell me everything. I'm still not sure of this Worlds Point Card will still give me points for Amtrak travel or not..and I, also signed up for the 5,000 points on yet another new card.

What is the deal with the World Points Card and will the existing Guest Rewards card still earn points until the end of May? I can t seem to find a straight answer on this.

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The World Points is a pre existing MBNA program that has been assumed by BofA. When BofA chose to drop the Amtrak affinity program, they chose to automatically enroll those displaced cardholders into World Points.

To what extent, World Points are redeemable for Amtrak travel I know not.

Realizing that they were cut off from their existing affinity program, Amtrak chose to approach another card issuer to determine if there was any interest in establishing such. Apparently Chase Bank NA (edited to correct) was so interested. However, it would appear that anyone desiring an Amtrak affinity card (maybe it will simply be named Amtrak Rewards in that Guest has left the lexicon) would have to apply for such with Chase, although it appears that they have chosen to "pre-approve' some former MBNA cardholders.

But be mindful you are applying for a new card, and too many of those can adversely affect you with Messrs. Fair and Issacs (you know those folk of FICO lore).

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am almost 100 percent certain that World Points will NOT get you Guest Reward points on Amtrak. That is why Amtrak Guest Rewards is arranging for the new credit card. Unfortunately, the new card, a Mastercard through the Chase bank, will not be available until the fall. For more information, I recommend you call Amtrak Guest Rewards directly.

Personally, in the interim, I am dropping the Bank of America Mastercard (they are truly horrible and have caused me all this trouble!) and getting a different Mastercard with Chase.

If you choose to do that, you can get the Chase Mastercard that gives you cash back, or you can get the Continental Travel Mastercard with Chase, in which every dollar you spend gets you a Continental travel point. Those points ARE convertible to Guest Reward points, but only in batches of 5000. The first card--free cash back--has no annual fee; the Continental card does have an annual fee, $85, but there is 15000 point bonus for signing up. Call Chase for more information.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page