RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » San Antonio/Sunset stop

Author Topic: San Antonio/Sunset stop
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why does the SL stop for 2 1/2 hours at San Antonio?
Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To make up lost time and switch thru-cars to/from the Texas Eagle.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

www.facebook.com/kevinschillinger

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do the sleepers closest to the engine stay connected?

Is there anything to do near the station at 10:30pm for an hour or so?

Is the A/C on the SL reliable?

Do I ask too many questions?

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sunset half stays connected, the only thing they do is either cut the last two cars off the end or add them depending on which direction you're going (adding them on westbound #1 or cutting them off on eastbound #2). I really don't know much about San Antonio but I think that the riverwalk is a few blocks away but I may be wrong. The a/c has always worked in the cars i've had in the past. And no you don't ask too many questions. [Wink]

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

www.facebook.com/kevinschillinger

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Room Service
Member # 2405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Room Service     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. I'm excited! I leave 5/11 on the Sunset Limited LAX-NOL at my own expense. Couple of fun days in the Big Easy. Then NOL to ATL at my own expense. Continuing ATL to LAX on my AGR!
In a Roomette LAX - NOL and a Bedroom the rest of the way.
Total Value? Over $3,000.00. Total investment? About $500.00.

Yeah, BABY!
 -

a meyer
Member # 4954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for a meyer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RoomService,
I was in SanAntonio in March and experienced the layover going west. There are a couple local's bars and a 24hr Denny's within walking distance of the station. The station attendants can point-out the directions.
You can read more of my layover in SanAntonio at my website
http://web.mac.com/ameyer1/iWeb/SpringBreak2007/March%20Trip%202007.html
Day2Blog & Day3Blog has more info on SanAntonio.
Hope that helps.

Posts: 120 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last summer I was traveling eastbound on the Sunset Ltd and Texas Eagle northbound. In that case, there is a much longer layover, at least theoretically. Around 6AM (the layover was till 8), I took a taxi from the train station to the historical Hotel Menger next door to the Alamo, made sure it was safe to walk over to see the Alamo (it was dark but lit up, and there was a patrol officer or security guard outside, so it was fine), returned to the Mener and walked around the lobby, which has some very neat stuff in one room especially, and had the hotel concierge call me a taxi to take me back to the train station.

If your westbound train is actually on time, you may have the time to do something like this too--or at least take a taxi to the Alamo, see it very quickly, and take the same taxi back. The driver probably wouldn't mind if you get out for a second, either.

The fare was not too high, under $10 each way even with the tip, as I recall. It wasn't that far. Only you may have trouble getting a cab at the train station, because other people grab them; depends how many people are getting off your train using the taxis. You could probably call one in advance too; you can check.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page