RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » question about summer CZ

Author Topic: question about summer CZ
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a bit confused about the thruway bus thing. If I'm booked on the CZ on a day when UP will be working in Colorado, will I be bussed or will the train be rerouted? I'm traveling Emeryville to Omaha without any stops.
Thanks all

Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they do what they did on my westbound Zephyr last year, the train had its normal route between Chicago and Denver (inc Omaha), took a detour (on the train, with only one stop to pick up a pilot) through Wyoming between Denver and Salt Lake City, and then had its normal route again between SLC and Emeryville. The bus was only for people going to Glenwood Springs or Grand Junction. I think the same was true for eastbound passengers, but the bus may only have been for westbound passengers--i.e., meeting the westbound Zephyr and leaving from Denver--but I'm not sure). The stops other than Glenwood Springs and Gran Junction were simply canceled.

The train ran normally, with all stops, on weekends (I think that meant the westbound trains that departed Denver but I cannot remember exactly; I guess that would mean the eastbound departing Emeryville Friday and Saturday? Well, I'm not 100 percent sure on this.

Besides, some of the work they do could be different this year, so the situation could be different too. I would phone Amtrak and ask to speak with an agent, then have the agent switch you to customer service for info if the agent cannot cannot help you.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Likely, Mr. Sutton, the most expedient way to determine if the Zephyr is to be routed via the Overland Route on your date of travel is to load an itinerary originating that day into the website for, say, Emeryville to Grand Junction.

If there is to be a reroute that day, the itinerary returned would show a change at Salt Lake City to "Train #3006', which means a "busteetoot'.

However, as Ms. Sojourner noted, the only effect a reroute would have on your travel would be the scenery you view. I think anyone should find the Overland Route to be interesting; avid railfans may even find it more so than the regular routing over the Rio Grande.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutton
Member # 1612

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks, guys, for the info. I feel more at ease knowing that at least I'll still be on a train and not a bus. [Smile]
Posts: 171 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page