RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Coast Starlight Passengers get Complimentary DigEPlayer

Author Topic: Coast Starlight Passengers get Complimentary DigEPlayer
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard a rumor of this from an Amtrak Customer Service Manager 2 months ago, and it's true!
This will be part of the long-awaited Coast Starlight upgrade which from what I hear will also include some kind of "internet car" in the lower level of the Parlour Car!

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Copy/News_Release_Page&c=am2Copy&cid=1178293980398&ssid=180

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. While I personally wouldn't have much use for the device I think it is a positive move for families and the easily bored. I might use one if I rode the train several times a year instead of my current average of once a year.

And I think this puts another hole in the theory that Amtrak is actively trying to kill long distance trains. That notion looks more and more like Swiss cheese every day.

An internet cafe on the lower level of the Parlour Car is likewise interesting, if true. I would definitely have use for that. It would be an interesting experiment to see if it would attract more business travelers. I met a computer salesman from southern Oregon last year who rides the train four times a year on business to LA. I'm sure he would appreciate it.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possibly there is enlightenment that the objective should be to maximize the "bottom line' of any train they operate - instead of simply cutting costs, which largely end up as "nickel and dime passenger turn offs'.

Possibly there will be enlightenment regarding LD Food Service. Most of the Dining Car patronage is from Sleeper passengers and such folk are willing to "pay what they must' in order to have what they want. As I noted in previous topics, I find no diminishment of Food service aboard Auto Train - and maybe someone at 60 Mass has decided the return of on-board amenities will enhance the "top line' to an extent greater than what is added to the 'middle line", hence resulting in a more favorable "bottom line'.

I highly doubt if the Bush Administration will attempt any micromanagement of Amtrak during its remaining 618 days in office. It would appear Congress has other issues on the plate as well.

But at least those #$%^*$$ movies ae gone from the Lounges.

Apparently, there is acceptance at Amtrak of my oft noted "no Yuma? no moolah' and that the LD's remain the catalyst for continued Federal funding of the NE Corridor. If you are "stuck with 'em" and have no direct control over their on-time performance, there is always a chance happy. even if late, passengers will pick up the pen (keyboard nowadays) and start in with "Dear Congressman; I want to tell you about the great trip i had on Amtrak....."

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GBN, I cautiously think think you are correct about the "bottom line" issue. I think the Empire Builder's success after revitilization opened up some eyes. Of course, this is not the first time Amtrak has improved amenities only to succumb a few years later to political pressure to "cut costs at all costs."
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page