RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Questions Regarding My Upcoming Trip

Author Topic: Questions Regarding My Upcoming Trip
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are leaving on June 14th for our circle tour of the western USA. I have some questions for the experts:
1. The SWC leaves LAX at 6:45 pm. Will dinner be served?
2. Any hints needed on finding the place for taxi cabs at Chicago when we arrive?
3. When we return to Chicago Union Station we will have about 4 hours between arrival and the departure of the EB. The upcoming leg on the EB will be coach. Is there a place to store the bags in the station?
4. Is there a place on the lower level of the EB coach car, like there is in sleepers, for our larger bag (25" but it will be heavy) or do we need to check it to MSP?
5. The EB arrives in the Twin Cities late, after 10:00 pm. Are there plenty of cabs available to take us to our hotel?
6. We told the Isaak Walton Inn via email that we would be arriving on the westbound EB. Do I need to phone them too on the day of arrival so they will pick us up?

That's all for now. The excitement is building. By the way, I just repriced all of our tickets and compared the results to the prices last October. Up about 50%, both fare and sleeper. Sleepers sold out on the #27 Essex to Portland. I have also been monitoring the timeliness of the pertinent parts of the route. Not too bad in general, some are excellent (mostly the EB).

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
4. The downstairs luggage area on the EB coach is identical to the sleepers. In one Portland bound "coach/baggage" car the lower level seating area is converted to checked baggage storage, but I don't know if you have access to it. (The baggage car goes to Seattle).

5. There is usually a line of 6-8 cabs at the MSP depot when the EB arrives, often more than needed. If your coach ends up stopping short of the depot, you can just as easily walk directly to the cabs instead of going through the depot, unless you need to pick up checked baggage.

6. Others may know more about the Isaak Walton, but from passing through it seems you are right at the lodge when the train stops. There is no Essex station. It seemed that hotel staff were on hand to meet the train and assist guests.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Yes. It is a full menu, but limited serving time. Check in at the Customer Service window to get a dinner reservation. Or if you do my "trick" and wait out on the platform, just tell the diner steward that you didn't know you needed a reservation and they should fit you in.

2. Just walk up the steps to street level. There's plenty around that you can flag down.

3. If you're traveling in a sleeping car, go to the Metropolitan Lounge where you can store bags for free (plus a tip).

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gregbkc
Member # 3726

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gregbkc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2. Cabs will be lined up on Canal Street. Just follow the signs that hang from the ceiling, they will be marked "Canal Street Taxis"

Here is a handy map of Chicago Union Station

http://chicago.citysearch.com/feature/15400/

Posts: 34 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
6. No -- no need to tell Izaak Walton you'll be arriving--they already know you're coming by AMTRAK, and they monitor the estimated arrival times of the train, so they know when you will be there.

Th Essex station is just a spot on the road to the Inn, about half a mile away. There will probably be other people getting off there too, and their van WILL be there waiting for you when the EB arrives.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Super information, thanks to all. The map of CUS is very helpful. Since we are taking the EB coach on this departure the lounge will not be available to us for our several hours in the station. I see Baggage Lockers by the south gates. Are these large enough for a suitcase and reasonably priced? Also, from which set of platforms does the EB depart?
TwinStar - we ended up in a hotel in downtown Minneapolis instead of at the Days Inn by the Amshack. No availability at any Days Inn, kind of odd. It was months ahead when I was searching for a hotel. But this should work out, plenty to see and do downtown. I believe they have ponies and bagpipes waiting for us there.

--------------------

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you arrive in Chicago as a sleeping car passenger, you may still use the Metropolitan Lounge even though you are departing as a coach passenger - just show them your ticket stub from the CWS.

It wouldn't hurt to call the Izaak Walton Inn from Chicago just to remind them, but they are usually very good about picking up their guests. Having said that, the day I arrived, they accidently had turned 2 pages in their book & we were left waiting on the gravel pad. However, people who lived nearby offered to call the Inn for us & the train blew its whistle several times to alert them. They did arrive in a few minutes, apologetic & eager to please. As I said, just calling the day before from Chicago (or are you in Minneapolis the day before? - not sure from your note) to confirm can't hurt. If you're in Minneapolis & must have bagpipes, call Macalester College in St. Paul to see if one of their pipers is available (LOL). Can't help you with ponies!

The westbound EB departs Chicago from the north platforms - usually the one furthest to the east (toward the lake) as this is the only "through" track at CUS. Coach passengers share a waiting area with those catching the Hiawatha service to Milwaukee, just to the north of the Metropolitan Lounge. (exit the lounge & turn right)

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Thanks Judy. I still need to know about baggage storage. My arrival via sleeper will be on 6/16. My departure via coach will be on 6/22. So I don't think I will qualify for the lounge on 6/22. I do have sleeper tickets from MSP to Essex but I don't think that would impress the Chicago station.
The CWS? The Chief West South?

--------------------

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quote from Judy McFarland:
"If you're in Minneapolis & must have bagpipes, call Macalester College in St. Paul to see if one of their pipers is available (LOL). Can't help you with ponies!"

No problem with the ponies:
http://www.ponypals-grammiegoose.com/

There is also a Hertz desk at the MSP station that could probably rent you a Mustang.

If you recall from a previous post, St. Paul's mayor is also a kilt-wearing piper. Maybe he will be at the station to greet you.

I think your decision to stay in downtown Minneapolis is best. Rail related attractions I would recommend are the old Milwaukee Depot at 3rd and Washington, and the Stone Arch Bridge that overlooks St. Anthony Falls and the locks. This bridge was used exclusively for passenger trains to access the old (now gone) Minneapolis Union Station. There are carriage tours of the area drawn by (dare it say it?) grown-up ponies.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TwinStarRocket:
Rail related attractions I would recommend are the old Milwaukee Depot at 3rd and Washington, and the Stone Arch Bridge that overlooks St. Anthony Falls and the locks. This bridge was used exclusively for passenger trains to access the old (now gone) Minneapolis Union Station. There are carriage tours of the area drawn by (dare it say it?) grown-up ponies.

Of interest, Mr. Twin Star, when did the Great Northern station (used by affiliates CB&Q, NP, GN) become posthumously reborn as Union Station?

The Milwaukee Road Station, head house and shed, remains standing although not in any transportation role. Although owned by the MILW, it was much closer to a "Union Station" in that four independent roads (my MILW, your RI, SOO, and CGW) called such home for their passenger trains.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
I stand corrected Mr. Norman. Great Northern Depot was always the correct name of the building. It sort of functioned as a Union Station when CB&Q, GN, NP, (and CNW?) all used it, but ownership of the roads that later became Burlington Northern always kind of overlapped prior to the merger anyway.

Many friends and relatives of mine were former employees of "your" Milwaukee Road, and most of my childhood memories of trains involved that line (waiting for the long orange and brown streamliners at grade crossings as well as riding). The route I most regret having never travelled is the lonely route of the magnificent Olympian Hiawatha to the Northwest coast.

Rock Island was not a dominant RR in the Twin Cities, and I recall their later consists looking a bit "tacky", but the Twin Star Rocket would have taken me where I most like to visit, the desert Southwest.

Thank you for correcting my error.

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
the Twin Star Rocket would have taken me where I most like to visit, the desert Southwest.

The Twin Star Rocket could get you to a connection to the desert southwest at either Kansas City or Dallas, but it sure would not take you there. The people in Houston with their subtropical Gulf Coast climate and humidity that gives the air a semi-liquid feel would be most suprised to find themselves classified as Desert Southwest.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
True, Mr Harris, but I believe at one time cars were transferred from the TSR to the Rock Island "Golden State", which would have got me to sunny dry Alamogordo in the car I left in.
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Mr. Norman - you hijacked my topic! For shame. Just for that you owe me some answers.
I still don't have an answer to if the lockers will hold a normal suitcase or two and are they reasonably priced. Also, which tracks will I be arriving on via the Southwest Chief?

--------------------

musicfan
Member # 4673

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicfan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used the lockers last time I was in Chicago. If I remember correctly, there were two different sizes, the ones on the floor were pretty big and should hold a couple of items.
They are not cheap, but I think there is a maximum charge per day. Don't remember what it is. I think you can use a credit or debit card so you don't have to fumble with coins or inserting bills.
They use a fingerprinting device to remember who you are. So remember what finger you use!!
But anyway, when I was there, there was always a locker company employee there to help people out.
The companies website is at http://www.smartecarte.com/

Posts: 38 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The SWC generally arrives in Chi on tracks 20,22,24,26,or 28 this is on the south concourse.
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Thanks folks. All my questions have now been answered. Wish me luck on this trip. I will report back when I return.

--------------------

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Sorry Vicki, I also hijacked your thread.

My memory did serve me right. I have verified in my 1955 timetable that Rock Island did have "Through Cars", Minneapolis-Los Angeles.

When looking this up I also noticed Chicago had no less than 6 passenger RR stations: La Salle (RI, Nickel Plate), Grand Central (B&O, CGW, C&O, Soo), Central (IC, Michigan Central), C&NW, Dearborn (ATSF, Erie, Grand Trunk, Monon, Wabash), and Union (Burlington, GM&O, Milwaukee, Pennsylvania). Wow.

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
True, Mr Harris, but I believe at one time cars were transferred from the TSR to the Rock Island "Golden State", which would have got me to sunny dry Alamogordo in the car I left in.

Yes, true. Was't thinking about the through cars. Did not they have both a through coach and through sleeper?

At the risk of compounding the hijacking, I would think that IF Amtrak can ever add trains, a renewed form of the Twin Star Rocket should be near the top of the list, with equipment swap both ways with the Southwest Chief at KC, and probably using a Texas Chief route south of KC.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
My timetable lists 8 roomettes and 6 double bedrooms on the through cars to LA. So in 1955 it was probably only a sleeper.
TNCMAXQ
Member # 4875

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNCMAXQ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't want to start a new thread, but I do have an upcoming trip, so I thought I could post here. [Wink] Just had a question about Memorial Day travel. I would like to make the trip from New Haven to DC on Friday (25th) afternoon or evening. I have to go to a commencement though and I'm not sure what time I will be done with that. There are Acela Express departures at 3:18 and 5:18 pm I should be able to make. That has to be a peak travel period so while I figure things should go smoothly I am also a little wary of delays after my long day. I am just wondering if anyone has had experiences with major delays on a Friday evening before a major holiday. Is it possible there is added "traffic," even on the rails. Thanks.
Posts: 17 | From: CT | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I can be forgiven another shameless plug for my website, I would like to mention that I do have an August 1963 schedule for the Twin Star Rocket posted and that it does specifically show both a through coach and through sleeper from St. Paul/Minneapolis to Los Angeles on the Golden State. The August 1963 timetable is the last one I have in my personal collection before the Twin Star Rocket was cut back from a Houston to a Fort Worth southern terminus.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 11/56 Official Guide lists the Twin Star Rocket/Golden State as having coaches, LA to St. Paul-Minneapolis.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess Miss Vickie and Mr. Art shall be on their way today.
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Yes indeed, we are leaving home in about an hour for the bus to LA Union Station. Let us hope the SWC has no more derailing problems.

Back in two weeks, reports to follow.

--------------------

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Well, it appears that 4(14), Miss Vickie, and Mr. Art are all back in the game.

According to the website, after an earlier 90 min recorded delay at Gallup, they are due at Raton "on time".

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Currently at 4:40pm CDT, the Amtrak website says #4 will be 1:16 late into Las Vegas, NM and 4 minutes early into Raton. I think Vicki and Art better hang on tight for that speedy run, especially as #4 winds through that canyon between these 2 stops. The old calculator says 111 miles in 27 minutes is an average speed of 247 mph.

Wish we were there to see it. Or maybe you have to take Amtrak's estimates with a grain of salt.

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Currently at 4:40pm CDT, the Amtrak website says #4 will be 1:16 late into Las Vegas, NM and 4 minutes early into Raton. I think Vicki and Art better hang on tight for that speedy run, especially as #4 winds through that canyon between these 2 stops. The old calculator says 111 miles in 27 minutes is an average speed of 247 mph.

Wish we were there to see it. Or maybe you have to take Amtrak's estimates with a grain of salt.

Better wear your seat belts and hang on folks!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
About an hour down into KC. Will Mr. Norman be walking his pet of the canine persuasion when #4 passes by? Does Ms. Vicki know the milepost number at which to begin waving?
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last I heard, Mr. Norman didn't have a four-legged Gil to walk any more. I would look for a Black Lexus parked near milepost 18.4 in Clarendon Hills.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
My usual conveyance to trackside is shoe leather. When Mr. Presley passed during April, I did have my auto so that Roxanne, a 15 year old Husky who visits me when her family travels, could join the wave by that occurred at 18.00.

Anycase, it appears Ms. Vickie, Mr. Art and the other kindred sould aboard 4(14) are to arrive CUS 1.5hrs late. Whale of a lot better than #6(4) which is not about 5.5hrs late.

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Rookie foamer-in-training "proloz" (Laura) started a long thread on her upcoming trip Cumberland, MD to Everett, WA. on the Builder. I estimate she and her husband, Mark, will roll through Essex on the 28th. Any chance this might also be the departure date for Vicki from Essex to PDX? A chance to meet 3(!) trainweb people (including myself and Mr. Norman) in one trip.

I also posted a message to this effect on proloz's thread.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page