RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » altitudes on sunset limited route for those who have heart conditions

Author Topic: altitudes on sunset limited route for those who have heart conditions
sniart2007
Member # 5251

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sniart2007         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi,

my mom has a heart condition, and can't fly... so
we're trying to get her across the us at the
lowest altitutdes possible... have looked
at amtrak, seems that sunset limited is the least
high route?

the stops include tuscon (2386 ft)
deming, nm (4330 ft)
alpine, texas (4486 ft)
sanderson, tx (2790 ft)

i was wondering if anyone had gone this route,
or is planning to go this route, if they know
if there are higher places between these stops?

A thousand thank you's...

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an altitude problem also. But I can manage up to 8000ft. I have taken the Sunset and had no problems.If someone is with her she could bring an oxygen tank aboard and if you get the handicapped room on the lower level she should be ok. but that is something I strongly urge you to discuss with her MD
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sunset parallels I-10 on the highest part of its route. According to my AAA map, the continental divide summit on I-10 between Deming and Lordsburg, NM is 4585 feet, close to the tracks. Texas Canyon Summit on I-10 just east of Benson, AZ is 4975 feet, but the Sunset runs 3 miles south of I-10 there. I would guess the railroad summits are, if anything, slightly lower than the highway summits.

My Arizona state issued map has elevations for every town. The highest elevation of any AZ town on the Sunset route is Cochise, AZ at 4225 feet, about 10 mi. east of the Texas Canyon Summit.

It is a pretty safe guess to say the Sunset may never travel above 4700-5000 feet.

Your are correct about the Sunset being the route with the lowest high elevation. The next lowest, Marias Pass on the Empire Builder is 5213 feet, but it offers the added advantage for a heart condition of not running 12 hours late. The Raton Pass tunnel on the Southwest Chief is around 7000. A conductor on the California Zephyr once announced the Moffat Tunnel in Colorado was "the highest you can legally get on an Amtrak train".

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Southern Pacific System Timetable dated October 28, 1962 shows Marfa TX, with elevation of 4694, as the highest station stop at that time for the Sunset.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the Union Pacific web site you can find a map showing high and low point elevations on their various lines. (This is also useful for the high points on the California Zephyr route.) It is at

www.uprr.com/aboutup/maps/attachments/elevations.pdf

On it you will see that the high point is elevation 5,078 feet at Paisano TX, milepost 619.26. (Zero is at Houston TX.) This point is between San Antonio and El Paso.

This line also has the railroad low point. -205 feet in the Salton Sink at Forrum CA, milepost 612.0, in this case from zero at San Francisco.

To explain, there are three cycles of mileposting on this line: New Orleans to Houston, with zero at New Orleans. Houston to El Paso with zero at Houston, and then declining numbers El Pason to Los Angeles with zero at San Francisco.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sniart2007
Member # 5251

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sniart2007         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. This has been extremeley helpful. I hope
this was useful to any others also.

Does the 12 hour delay often occur in the high
altitude zone?

I believe these answers will help those who have
had stroke, or who have other heart conditions. The air traveler is subject to deep vein thrombosis, etc. Also air flight is a totally
big pollution source.

Thank you all so very much.
Cindy

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As previously mentioned the Southwest Chief's highest point is Raton Tunnel, 7588 feet.
 -

Some sections around Flagstaff get up to 7300 ft. I believe.

I would avoid this train if altitude is a problem. My ears get plugged and pop as the train goes up and down west of Kansas.

The Zephyr gets sure up there. Here are some of its higher sections:
Moffat Tunnel

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cindy, if we knew your destination and starting point we might be able to offer some advice if you are new to train travel.

The Sunset Limited runs on a very busy Union Pacific mainline, and UP has a reputation for not keeping Amtrak on schedule. Twelve hour delays do happen rarely, but it also could run on time. Some on this forum may have knowledge of where delays typically occur. There is a website that tracks trains lateness over time but I have forgotten it. Anybody?

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Hull
Member # 4465

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Hull     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's www.amtrakdelays.com/
I've found it very useful.
John

Posts: 41 | From: Yaxham, Norfolk, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Thanks, John.

The Sunset is train #1 westbound, 2 eastbound. Some 3 letter station codes that will work are LAX (Los Angeles), SAS (San Antonio), TUS (Tucson), ELP (El Paso) and BEN (Benson).

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cindy, it would also help to know just what the limit on height is for your mother. My mother had a heart condition but she flew from LA to DC many times with no problems. Even with my problem I had no trouble with the Moffett tunnel on the Zephyr yet some people do. I know it is some 9000 ft. Have you discussed this with her MD. That is the best place to start as he/she would know better than anyone else how much your mom can tolerate.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chile2
Member # 3110

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chile2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a few other things I don't see that others have brought up.....

Does your mother have trouble going up or down stairs with her heart trouble? I ask because a coach seat on the upper level will involve going downstairs to the restroom the whole trip long. Down, up, down, up, down, you get the idea..........
Also, would your mother prefer quiet, to be alone, or feel more secure with other people at arm's reach to talk to?

There are several options that are geared for the less mobile who can't manage stairs:
* Lower level coach ; a short walk to the restroom, no stairs. There are mostly older, less mobile folks on this level, so some social interaction is close by. Attendants can bring her things from the diner or snack bar. Not expensive.

* Lower level roomette; private, cozy, for those who don't want to chat with neighbors, but can fit 2 people if the 2nd one can climb up to the upper berth. Short walk to restroom; have attendants bring food.

* the handicapped accessible room: commode, sink and shower all easily accessible in the room itself. Seat folds to a bed at night and the room will accommodate 2 people if she is traveling with someone; quite roomy. This is probably the preferred room if you have to have an oxygen concentrator or bottles along (though I don't know the specific regulations for those) Attendants would bring your food.

*another option is if your mother can get up and down the stairs once during the whole trip, she could be in an upper level roomette or deluxe bedroom. Once on this level, she could walk to restroom or to diner car without stairs.

Checking with her doctor about given the altitudes, if she should bring along any supplemental oxygen is a good idea.

If she's making the trip all in one go, consider if she would like a bed to sleep on at night and factor in the variables of stairs.

Keep in mind this train tends to run late; on good runs it will get in only 2-4 hours late into L.A.. But be prepared for the possibility of it being much later than that. If your mother is prepared and not in a huge hurry to stick to a schedule, she should do fine.

Posts: 72 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page