RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » how do i?

Author Topic: how do i?
yummykaz
Member # 475

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for yummykaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do I insert a picture? I took a ton of pics on Sunset Limited to post with my awesome new digital
Posts: 168 | From: Spring TX USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to have some web space of your own. It looks like you are an AOL member, so you automatically have that. You need to upload your photos to your FTP space, (AOL Keyword: MY FTP SPACE) then you need to know a basic HTML tag which you can insert in your post here to make the pictures appear. If you need more detailed instructions you can e-mail me.

By the way, AOL has two Amtrak/passenger rail boards. One is under hobbies and one is under travel. If you don't know where to find them e-mail me and I can provide you with links.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ENR3877
Member # 1573

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ENR3877   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Like So.

put [IMG]the url [/IMG]

Posts: 7 | From: Sooke, BC, Canada | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ENR3877
Member # 1573

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ENR3877   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oops...double post.

[This message has been edited by ENR3877 (edited 04-28-2002).]

Posts: 7 | From: Sooke, BC, Canada | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since we're on RDCs, how about an Amtrak one...? (and to think that they couldn't have continued to use them instead of "Thruway" abominations...)

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ENR3877
Member # 1573

Rate Member
I wonder...why Amtrak chose to retire their RDC's instead of rebuilding them like VIA did.
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ENR3877:
I wonder...why Amtrak chose to retire their RDC's instead of rebuilding them like VIA did.

Believe me, you ain't the only one. Of course, VIA doesn't have the FRA to deal with, who regards each engined unit of an RDC consist as a separate locomotive, requiring inspection every three months...

Well...what Amtrak spends their money on is impractical stuff like the Acela Express instead. Problem is, the Acela Express doesn't go everywhere that there's rails in the US...

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, to see a photo posted of the Black Hawk with the infamous Amtrak RDC's.

Suffice to say, while I of course respect, I cannot agree with the thoughts of either Messrs. "Esquimalt & Nanaimo" , Helfner, or other persons whom have posted here and elsewhere advocating more RDC's.

I have never been a "fan" of such. Since most RDC's ran over branch lines, their track tended to be maintained in less than optimal condition (or, in this day and age, designated as lower class trackage by the FRA). As such, one might tend to gravitate towards the center of the car for a smoother ride. Well; center of the car would place you right over the two GM diesels, away from the diesels a rough ride. In short, loose, loose.

The rebuilt Amtrak RDC's were mechanical nightmares. There was a dedicated "grass roots" tour operator, for whom I did work as a purser/guide, from Rockford whom operated Dubuque-Rockford-Chicago day tours. On more than one occasion, the RDC's "crapped" blowing most of the day in Chicago.

The reliability of their reincarnation as the SPV had been reported extensively at both print and web sources.

I will be the first to acknowledge that I never rode any of the long distance RDC runs such as the RI's Choctaw Rocket, the WP Zephyrette, or the PGE/BCR Vancouver-Prince Goerge service. But to me, Kennebunk-Boston on the B&M was long enough.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ENR3877
Member # 1573

Rate Member
RDC's were perfect for what they were designed for, light branch lines with low ridership.

ENR3877
Member # 1573

Rate Member
quote:
). As such, one might tend to gravitate towards the center of the car for a smoother ride. Well; center of the car would place you right over the two GM diesels, away from the diesels a rough ride. In short, loose, loose.

What are you talking about?? The engines on the RDC's are located near the ends of the cars, as they were connected to to inside axle and as for a rough ride, the RDC's ride just a smoothly as any other passenger car. In fact they tend to have a smoother ride on the poor trackage, believe me I know, I've ridden the E&N Railway several times.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page