RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Q. on transportation to the station

Author Topic: Q. on transportation to the station
steve in so az
Member # 3394

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve in so az     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Twice a year we get aboard the train about 1-2 in the morning ( if it's on time). So far we have driven the car there, leave it and a friend picks it up and takes it home for us. I wanted to ask how you all fare with calling a cab to get there instead. The arrivals here in Tucson can be late or at the last minute they are closer to on time.

Basically, is the cab reliable to get us there in time - in general ? Thanks for any advice, headin to New Orleans soon, steve in so az

--------------------
steve in so az

Posts: 21 | From: Tucson, Az , usa | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve, I got the same problem. Amtrak serves my area at oh-dark-thirty both directions. Here's what I do.

I got this old Ford pickup. Well broken-in by hauling firewood, frequent travels on local logging roads, and occassional trips to Southern California (known for being especially rough on vehicles with the likes of Lindsay and Paris roaming the roads).

I call it Fred. Why? Well, I have a friend by that name who is also real ugly, old and slow, passes a lot of gas, but sort of dependable (just joking, Fred, if per chance you're surfing hereabouts). Yep, Fred the Ford. Maybe could get $100 for it if I was lucky.

I just drive it to the station (which is a distance from my home) and park it there. I've left Fred the Ford parked at the station for weeks at a time, and it's never even as much as been scratched (not that you'd notice if it was).

The old pickup routine assures my wife and I a place to wait for the always late train (the station is unstaffed and not always open). Our transportation is waiting upon our return. And it's economical. There is no fee for long-term parking at my home station, though I believe ranchers are charged a fee for grazing livestock on the property.

Fred the Ford is much more economical than taking a taxi. Heck, I could buy several more Fred's with the money I've saved on taxi fares. And I just might if my neighbors don't stop whining about the alleged adverse affect that old street-parked F-150 has on their precious property values (I'm proud to say Fred has never met a garage).

And taking Fred to the depot is safer and much more dependable than a taxi. Where I live, bartenders ask drunks to drive cabbies home at closing time (out of concerns about public safety).

And if worse came to worse and it's stolen (oh, please, please), well, it's 1-800-GEICO. ("Hello, I want to report the theft of my mint condition collector classic F-150").

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trying to escape to another topic, eh Zephyr? Now you have let it slip where you live: "My area". And your "home station" is unstaffed and allows cattle grazing. Still the mysterious one.

I have a similar strategy for safe parking. My car of choice has always been a small manual shift station wagon with no options. This is, coincidentally, the least stolen car type in the US, and probably lower in status than an old Ford pickup.

Cab companies usually will reserve a cab for you for a certain time. Unfortunately with the Sunset, the time is not always certain. Cab service reliability can vary by city and company. Ask some locals who use them. Even Tucson station staff might have a company recommendation.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve in so az
Member # 3394

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve in so az     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zeph - Good idea but we are in the middle of a 800 K population city and it would no doubt be towed.

Twin - I'll ask the guy at the station when we go, might have a tip for us, steve

--------------------
steve in so az

Posts: 21 | From: Tucson, Az , usa | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use "Dave the Dodge Dakota" for the same purpose. Just left it at the Palatka, FL station for three nights with nary a care, and picked it up with nary a new scratch (I don't think!). It's a 1989 model with 185,000 miles on it. Hauls all the hay and grain I need for the farm!

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ocala Mike:
I use "Dave the Dodge Dakota" for the same purpose. Just left it at the Palatka, FL station for three nights with nary a care, and picked it up with nary a new scratch (I don't think!). It's a 1989 model with 185,000 miles on it. Hauls all the hay and grain I need for the farm!

You named your truck after me.....how nice.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big Merl
Member # 3251

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big Merl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could use my strategy, live in walking distance of the station.

--------------------
http://www.bigmerl.com/

Posts: 88 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I believe we have established here that Amtrak is at a disadvantage with air transport when it comes to parking a private vehicle in the proximity of a station - there are simply not secure facilities readilly available.

It appears that the only respondents who are prepared to leave a vehicle at a station are those who have suggested their vehicle has seen better days. Likely this is a wise approach.

Fortunately like Mr. Merl, I live .06mi from a METRA/BNSF station and with my long standing "if you can't carry it, don't bring it' luggage policy, this discussion is otherwise a non-issue with me. But when I must use air transport, which nowadays pretty much means family emergency, I'll simply pay the $50 in each direction for a taxicab to and from O'Hare, for I'm not about to park my own auto even there.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gil, I saw your car. If I owned it, I wouldn't let it out of my sight! How did the AutoTrain people take care of it on your last trip?

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Generally these days I will drive to an airport, use mass transit to the rail station, take the train out, and fly back to whatever airport my vehicle is parked at.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ocala Mike:
How did the AutoTrain people take care of it on your last trip?

Seventeen voyages, seven autos; "never a problem".
Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From my experience, midwestern small towns have been fine for extended car parking. I have used every SWC station Galesburg-Hutchinson, except Lawrence; also every CZ station Ottumwa-Omaha. KC was expensive. Omaha looks scary when no one is around, but I have never had a problem.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TwinStarRocket:
From my experience, midwestern small towns have been fine for extended car parking.

But is it safe to graze livestock at these locations?
Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only brave little ponies.

Parking at LAX is not bad, $6 per day in an underground structure, supposedly a 30 day maximum. One does however need to leave a trail of bread crumbs to exit. We have never yet come out at the same place and certainly never at the exit we wanted to be at.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I generally agree with TwinStarRocket. I would not have a problem parking, for a few days, in a small town station. Having said that, however, back in 1970, I boarded the (then) Burlington-Northern train (before Amtrak) at the East Glacier Park station. When I returned in 4 days, my hub caps were stolen (in the days when you had hub caps).

I know it is more $$$, but it would be nice to have some secure parkling at some of the Amtrak stations.

Has anyone tried to go to the "contact us" field on the Amtrak web page? Do they respond farily rapidly? I left them a question regarding possible bus connections for either the Coast Starlight or Zephyr from Santa Rosa, CA. I thought there used to be a bus coming down from either Ukiah or Eureka to Santa Rosa, and then on down to the Amtrak station in Martinez. It may have been for conncections to the San Joaquins, southbound, but I'm not sure and I don't know if the bus connection, through Santa Rosa, still exists. It could be a problem for connections to the CS.

I used to live in San Jose, and it was easy to just take a cab to the SJ station but I no longer have it that easy. I don't trust parking by the Martinez station. Davis is farily safe, but I don't like parking if I am on a long, 10-14 day vacation. Maybe it would be easier to drive to Sacramento and park in the long-term parking area at the airport, then take a cab into town..unless there is some secure parking within walking distance of the Sacramento station (?). Another problem is that the Coast Starlight (which is usually the train I take) gets in at midnight if it isn't late.

Any thoughts?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
yukon11 wrote: Has anyone tried to go to the "contact us" field on the Amtrak web page? Do they respond farily rapidly?

Answers are yes and no. I'm afraid that "contact us" messages wind up in the same limbo that e-mails to and from Alberto Gonzalez wound up in not long ago. Gone and forgotten!

Best is to call and speak to a person or write an actual letter.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew someone who was hoping that his car would get stolen. He parked it at the Oakland airport when he flew out of town. Left the window down, the keys in the ignition, the parking stub on the dashboard with a ten dollar bill. It was all there when he got back. Including the car.

I've parked my car at Lamy for a few days, but now I'd take the bus down to Albuquerque and leave from there.

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve in so az
Member # 3394

Rate Member
Trouble here is the only Amtrak out is about 1:30 am. Guess I'll leave it there and have the friend take it home for me. At least until he gets too old to do so - - which isnt much longer [Frown] Steve in so az

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page